Why is this sin offensive to God?

Pride, self-righteousness and smugness. No matter how “good” we are, we are still sinners. Another thing I do not get is, if God loves us no matter why does it matter if we follow him or not? Why do the littlest of sins matter also? Sometimes I feel bad for “small” sins, but I figured I will spent my whole life continuously feeling bad for every failing, transgression, etc.

You don’t need to feel bad for every little thing! God loves you more than that. Don’t wallow around in guilt. You seem to struggle with scrupulosity. Just say you’re sorry to God and move on. Look up Scrupulous Anonymous, it will help.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sin is not really ‘offensive’ to God as much as it separates us from God. And it’s never God moving from us, but us moving from God. Sin damages our relationship with God. Like saying something rude to a friend damages your relationship with them. We are sinners in need of a savior, yes. But that’s why confession is so important. After confession you are free from your sins. Your soul is completely clean and if you died right after, before you sinned again you would go straight to heaven.

It is important to feel some guilt and responsibility for your sins, but the Church stresses that you should not constantly bring yourself down about such matters. Especially after confession. Once you are forgiven and truly desire not to commit this or that sin again you are truly free. And it can be a sin to sit and dwell on past, forgiven, sins.

Feeling bad about small sins is a wonderful trait to have. Keep track of those small sins because they are good to say in confession as well. Confessing small sins and keeping them in mind can help keep you on the right track. Don’t dwell on them, instead try to move away from that path. Often small sins pave the way for larger ones.

Peace and All Good!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The problem is that this outlook turns God into an impersonal “judge” instead of a very personal “Father”.
The Lord’s prayer starts “Our Father…” so this is what God is to us who are His children.
With this in mind let’s look at your questions:

Yes it seems that no matter how hard we try, we remain imperfect. We do things we shouldn’t. A Judge might deal harshly with such things…But how would a loving Father consider important
The failures? or The consistent effort to improve and sincere repentance when we fall?

Another thing I do not get is, if God loves us no matter why does it matter if we follow him or not?

God Loves us so much that he does not force Himself on us. If we choose not to follow Him…That is our choice. It does not diminish His Love for us.
Of course if we choose not to follow Him, we have no right to grouse about where we end up. Again - it’s our Choice.

Why do the littlest of sins matter also?

Small sins can lead to larger sins. Therefore fighting small temptations can keep us from falling into larger sin by building up our spiritual strength.
God - our Loving Father - allows these things for just this reason…to allow us to grow stronger.

Sometimes I feel bad for “small” sins, but I figured I will spent my whole life continuously feeling bad for every failing, transgression, etc.

Try to adjust your thinking away from discrete transgression and “judgement” and more toward a process of growth in a relationship…not perfect…but getting better…:thumbsup:

Love God and Love neighbor to the best of your ability.

Peace
James

You must recall that God (Jesus) died for us on a cross because of sin. Even the smallest sin helps bring this about and is offensive to God. He is all good. We are not. So even the apparently small offenses are hurtful to Him. Even the smallest sin opens the door to evil, and that is all Satan needs to start his war on your soul. We should fear the smallest offense that we might avoid the greater one’s in the first place.

well, its not much of a choice when your maker demands you worship him and include him in your life OR suffer in eternal hell…where is the choice in that? LOL Seems more like…‘worship and follow me or else suffer for the ‘wrong’ choice’, oh, but you have free will to what you want…LOL

yup - - but it still remains a choice - doesn’t it.

One may not like the way it’s set up - but it does remain a choice.

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.