Why isn't this sin mentioned?

So for some reason I started thinking about cannibalism. Why is it I have never seen this listed as a sin? Obviously its very wrong. Is it just that this sin is rarely committed?

Genesis 9:3

Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.

I had to read this while I was eating :stretcher:

This should help: gotquestions.org/cannibalism-Bible.html

…Are you saying what I think you’re saying… I hope you’re not…

I think it is rarely mentioned because we don’t like to acknowledge our favorite sins.

:slight_smile:

Looks as though you missed this verse buddy ole pal:D

6 “Whoever sheds human blood,
by humans shall their blood be shed;
for in the image of God
has God made mankind.

(hopefully you were kidding anyway) :confused:

God Bless!:thumbsup:

hahaha creeeepy.

How am i supposed to interpret this?
does it mean that whenever I cannibalize someone I should then shed a little bit of my own blood to give thanks for the meal.
or that i should make sure to kill them by a method which does not shed blood?

Either way, it usually isn’t a problem for me because i work at a cemetery.

looooooooooool

John 6 shows the Jews and disciples being quite upset at Our Lord’s words.

"Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”

So it was obviously viewed with some revulsion. Every time it is mentioned in the Bible, it’s a part of a curse, tied into desperation (such as what happens during the starvation that accompanies prolonged sieges.)

I guess people just aren’t kosher, somehow.

Also, this is a fantastic thread. You people are creepy.

The Church does not publish a list of all sins.

They mistakenly believed cannibalism was wrong, but Jesus corrected them.

Because it falls under the other commandments, thou shalt not kill, do unto others as you would want done to you, love your neighbor as yourself etc. When someone commits cannibalism they have to break other commandments to do it.

When i die i want to be cannibalized too so it is no problem.
and “thou shalt not kill” can be overruled if you have just cause, such as if you are hungry.

Numerous times in the old testament, cannibalism is mentioned and declared an abomination.

It is right up there with sacrificing your children to pagan gods.

And cannibalism is the reason given for God’s intervention and or destruction of cities and people.

Specifically when a city is barricaded and starved out.

Don’t suppose you’ve anyone in mind? :stuck_out_tongue:

and “thou shalt not kill” can be overruled if you have just cause, such as if you are hungry.

:ehh: Try, “You can take the apple that doesn’t belong to you to avoid starvation.” and not, “You can kill the apple seller and eat him to avoid starvation.”

What?! Says who?? Thou shalt not kill. Period. There is no “unless” or “except when”. Thou shalt not kill. Period.

It’s at least a very big affront to human dignity.

As far as it being a sin…I’ll leave it with intent. If it’s the only food left, there’s a solid argument (unless we are talking murder), but realistically I don’t see how that’s possible. Our natural system is too resilient to have that be the only option.

However, if you rely on the government to feed a population as was the case in the former USSR, cannibalism did happen in the Ukraine.

=the;11374174]When i die i want to be cannibalized too

I did not see that. Nope.

:whistle:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.