Why Jesus did not openly say this: "I AM GOD'

What do you think brothers and sisters?

He did. Read John 10:30.

For that matter, read John, chapter 18. The name of God – YHWH – is rendered as ‘I AM’. Not “I am”, as a sentence, but capitalized as ‘I AM’. Look at what the Gospel writer is doing in John 18. The reply of Jesus doesn’t make sense unless you realize that what Jesus is saying isn’t only “I am the one you are looking for”, but also is the statement that He is God. :wink:

And John 8:58.

Why else would the Jews want to stone him?

John 5:18
"This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.’

The Jews understood that is what He meant.

30 I and the Father are one.”
The Jews picked up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?” 33 The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.” John 10:30

John 10:30New International Version (NIV)

30 I and the Father are one.”

Jesus still not very categorical in his discourse. It was the Jews who were telling
Him of his blasphemous statement.:slight_smile:

Matthew 16:20New International Version (NIV)

20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.

Looking at this verse, Jesus Christ even prevented His disciples to tell anyone that He is the Messiah.

It was because Jesus for them was uttering blasphemy, that He was making Himself equal with God. Jesus, however, was not directly saying that He is God as in: “I AM GOD”

I still like John 1: 1-5

*In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4In him was life, and **the life was the light of men. 5*The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Then later in Revelation you see God saying “I am the alpha and the omega” at the beginning of the book, and Jesus saying “I am the alpha and the omega” at the end of the book. Just another time when he claims divinity.

He did not correct the Jews. Yes, He was making HImself equal with God.

Your affiliation says Catholic, fredms3. How can you be Catholic if you do not believe in the Trinity?

What are you driving at?

A bit of background on gods and identifying them. In Hebrew and Aramaic, you do not literally say “I am God” to mean what you think that phrase means.

Modern people understand “God” to mean the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Not so in Bible times.

There are many words for “God” or “Gods” or “gods” or “deities” in the Hebrew language. “El” (plural “Elohim”). “Ba’al”. “Elah.” (This last one is Aramaic.) These ones are general. They can apply to any god - from YHWH to Molech, to the Ba’al who had 400 prophets.

You call “God” by His name, or by an honorific, to distinguish Him from the other pompous spirits who are called “gods”.

The most proper name of God is “YHWH” - Yahweh. “Jah” is a short form. “I am who am” is what He calls HImself to Moses - “Ehyeh asher ehyeh” in Hebrew. In Greek it is “Ego eimi ho on”.

“Ego eimi” - I am - isn’t exclusively used for the name of God in the Septuagint.

However, in the context of the passage in John it appears in - literally, “Before Abraham was, I AM” - the tense would be strange if it were not a naming, or at least a hinting.

But Jesus would not say “Eímai énas theós” (modern Greek) or the Aramaic equivalent; that means “I am a god”. He would identify Himself not with “a god”, but with “I am who Am”, or YHWH. And that is what He did in saying “Ego eimi”.

He basically did throughout John and a few other places in the gospel. He probably didn’t explicitly say, “I am God.” Because if he did, let’s just say some of the people around him probably would have… well… killed him possibly before the proper time.

All of the quotes so far given come from the Gospel of John which is substantially different from the Synoptic gospels.
catholic-resources.org/John/Synoptic-Differences.htm
It has been argued that if someone says that I and Obama are one in supporting the Affordable Care Act it does not mean that we are one in essence.
Also, there is a quote in the synoptic gospels that only the Father knows the day or hour and the Son does not know. If Jesus is omniscient, wouldn’t He know the day or hour also?
Matthew/24:36.
Mark 13:32

Hmmmm. A JW would be using the NWT. A Mormon would be using the KJV. Ah! Oneness Pentecostal.

Hey fredms3! Page to the second chapter of the Wisdom of Solomon in your NIV and let us know what you think.

But why misrepresent oneself? Oneness Pentecostals are welcome here, as are Mormons. :confused:

Even if Jesus did say he was God how would they ever believe it if the majority of the people did not even believe he was the messiah?

I think so that he could say to each believer:

“Blessed art thou, FILL IN THE BLANK because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father, who is in heaven.”

I think so that he could say to each believer:

“Blessed art thou, FILL IN THE BLANK because flesh and blood hath not revealed it to thee, but my Father, who is in heaven.”

He was saying it in ways that were perfectly clear to those who heard him.

I tell you, something greater than the temple is here. (Matthew 12:6)

The only thing greater than the temple is God who dwells in the Temple.

And he said to them, “The Son of man is lord of the sabbath.” (Luke 6:5)

The only one who can be lord of the sabbath is God who gave the Sabbath.

***And he said to them, “Why are you afraid, O men of little faith?” Then he rose and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm. And the men marveled, saying, “What sort of man is this, that even winds and sea obey him?” *(Matthew 8:26-27)

God created the wind and the sea. Only God commands the wind and the sea.

Over and over and over Jesus says “I am God” in ways that his hearers clearly understood and over and over and over he proves it.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.