Why Jesus had rich friends

In the Roman Empire, there was certain social classes that did not mix. The free did not dine with the slave, the rich did not associate with the poor, and the Samarian did not become friends with the Jew. Jesus broke all these social classes, effectively offending many people. He dined with sinners, He who was poor become friends with the wealthy, He who was the Master came in the form of a slave, and He gave the parable of the Samarian and even met with a Samarian at a well. All this was necessary to pave the way for peace, and there are still many ways He is paving to world peace.

Thanks Eucharisted.

But I have a question.

What if I do not want to mix with erm…
Gengster members / Those who are heavily involved in crime,
for the sake of my own safety? (again I live in Malaysia, and there are Chinese gengsters here, once I got into contact with them, I think they can easily track me down, so for safety purposes, we always avoid getting into any contact of those people). I’m sure in the States, the “homies” are something like that too (if what illustrated in Hollywood / video games is almost accurate)

Just a question. Sorry for the silly question and thank you.

I don’t think Eucharisted is saying that we should all immediately rush out and befriend everyone, he’s just trying to explain why Jesus mixed with lots of different social groups and didn’t stick to just “his own kind”. I think it is a good thing to remember that Jesus was from a dodgy area and broke through social barriers. Doesn’t mean I want to spend all my time in the East End on London trying to convert the local gangsters to Catholicism!

If Jesus had rich friends, why did he rail against the rich frequently?

He never railed against the rich as such.

He simply spoke out against the received notion that wealth was a sign of God’s favor.

Here is a list of all the verses in the KJV gospels where Jesus mentioned “rich” and “riches”.

Matthew 13:22

He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
Matthew 13:21-23 (in Context) Matthew 13 (Whole Chapter)

Matthew 19:23

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew 19:22-24 (in Context) Matthew 19 (Whole Chapter)

Matthew 19:24

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Matthew 19:23-25 (in Context) Matthew 19 (Whole Chapter)

Matthew 27:57

When the even was come, there came a rich man of Arimathaea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus’ disciple:
Matthew 27:56-58 (in Context) Matthew 27 (Whole Chapter)

Mark 4:19

And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful.
Mark 4:18-20 (in Context) Mark 4 (Whole Chapter)

Mark 10:23

And Jesus looked round about, and saith unto his disciples, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
Mark 10:22-24 (in Context) Mark 10 (Whole Chapter)

Mark 10:24

And the disciples were astonished at his words. But Jesus answereth again, and saith unto them, Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God!
Mark 10:23-25 (in Context) Mark 10 (Whole Chapter)

Mark 10:25

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Mark 10:24-26 (in Context) Mark 10 (Whole Chapter)

Mark 12:41

And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.
Mark 12:40-42 (in Context) Mark 12 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 1:53

He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away.
Luke 1:52-54 (in Context) Luke 1 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 6:24

But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation.
Luke 6:23-25 (in Context) Luke 6 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 8:14

And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of this life, and bring no fruit to perfection.
Luke 8:13-15 (in Context) Luke 8 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 12:16

And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
Luke 12:15-17 (in Context) Luke 12 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 12:21

So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.
Luke 12:20-22 (in Context) Luke 12 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 14:12

Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompence be made thee.
Luke 14:11-13 (in Context) Luke 14 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 16:1

And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.
Luke 16:1-3 (in Context) Luke 16 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 16:11

If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
Luke 16:10-12 (in Context) Luke 16 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 16:19

There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:
Luke 16:18-20 (in Context) Luke 16 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 16:21

And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
Luke 16:20-22 (in Context) Luke 16 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 16:22

And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
Luke 16:21-23 (in Context) Luke 16 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 18:23

And when he heard this, he was very sorrowful: for he was very rich.
Luke 18:22-24 (in Context) Luke 18 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 18:24

And when Jesus saw that he was very sorrowful, he said, How hardly shall they that have riches enter into the kingdom of God!
Luke 18:23-25 (in Context) Luke 18 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 18:25

For it is easier for a camel to go through a needle’s eye, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Luke 18:24-26 (in Context) Luke 18 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 19:2

And, behold, there was a man named Zacchaeus, which was the chief among the publicans, and he was rich.
Luke 19:1-3 (in Context) Luke 19 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 21:1

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.