Why Mary is Queen in the New Testament

In the Old Testament, the Jewish Kingdom not only had Kings, it had Queens. Due to the Fact that polygamy was an accepted practice (e.g. Solomon had 700 wives) the Jewish Queen was the King’s Mother. There are two words used in the Scriptures to describe the actual position or office of this Jewish Woman:

1- Gebhirah “גְּבִירָה” means “Queen Mother” (Examples: 1 Kings 11:19; Jeremiah 29:2; 2 Kings 10:13)
2- Malketha “מַלְכְּתָ֜א” means the Mother of the King (Daniel 5:10).

The political importance of the “Gebhirah” is illustrated by the fact that in the Books of Kings, with two exceptions, the names of the Jewish kings are recorded together with those of their respective mothers; they are as follows:

Naamah, the Ammonitess, the mother of Rehoboam (1 Kings 14:21; compare 14:31, and 2 Chronicles 12:13); Maacah, the daughter of Abishalom (1 Kings 15:2) or Absalom (2 Chronicles 11:20) the mother of Abijah; Maacah, the daughter of Abishalom, the mother (grandmother?) of Asa (1 Kings 15:10; compare 2 Chronicles 15:16); Azubah, the daughter of Shilhi, the mother of Jehoshaphat (1 Kings 22:42; compare 2 Chronicles 20:31); Athaliah, the grand-daughter of Omri, the mother of Ahaziah (2 Kings 8:26; compare 2 Chronicles 22:2); Zibiah of Beersheba, the mother of Jehoash (2 Kings 12:1; compare 2 Chronicles 24:1); Jehoaddin (Jehoaddan, 2 Chronicles 25:1) of Jerusalem, the mother of Amaziah (2 Kings 14:2); Jecoliah (Jechiliah, 2 Chronicles 26:3) of Jerusalem, the mother of Azariah (2 Kings 15:2) or Uzziah (2 Kings 15:13, 30, etc.; compare 2 Chronicles 26:3); Jerusha (Jerushah, 2 Chronicles 27:1), the daughter of Zadok, the mother of Jotham (2 Kings 15:33); Abi (Abijah, 2 Chronicles 29:1), the daughter of Zechariah, the mother of Hezekiah (2 Kings 18:2); Hephzibah, the mother of Manasseh (2 Kings 21:1); Meshullemeth, the daughter of Haruz of Jotbah, the mother of Amon (2 Kings 21:19); Jedidah, the daughter of Adaiah of Bozkath, the mother of Josiah (2 Kings 22:1); Hamutal, the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah, the mother of Jehoahaz (2 Kings 23:31); Zebidah, the daughter of Pedaiah of Rumah, the mother of Jehoiakim (2 Kings 23:36); Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem, the mother of Jehoiachin (2 Kings 24:8); Hamutal (Hamital), the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah, the mother Of Zedekiah (2 Kings 24:18). The exceptions are Jehoram and Ahaz.

The Queen had her own throne as described in the following Scripture passage:

“When Bathsheba went to King Solomon to speak to him for Adonijah, the king stood up to meet her, bowed down to her and sat down on his throne. He had a throne brought for the king’s mother, and she sat down at his right hand. “I have one small request to make of you,” she said. “Do not refuse me.” The king replied, “Make it, my mother; I will not refuse you.” 1 Kings 2:19-20

Eventually however, due to disobedience towards God, Israel’s Royal Crown was eliminated, as foreseen by the Prophet Jeremiah:

Jeremiah 13:18-19
"Say to the king and to the queen mother,
‘Come down from your thrones,
for your glorious crowns
will fall from your heads.”
The cities in the Negev will be shut up,
and there will be no one to open them.
All Judah will be carried into exile,
carried completely away.’"

Such prophesy was later fulfilled:

2 Kings 24:12:
Jehoiachin king of Judah, his mother, his attendants, his nobles and his officials all surrendered to him. In the eighth year of the reign of the king of Babylon, he took Jehoiachin prisoner.”

2 Kings 24:15
"Nebuchadnezzar took Jehoiachin captive to Babylon. He also took from Jerusalem to Babylon the king’s mother, his wives, his officials and the prominent people of the land."

But in the New Testament, Jesus Christ is the New and Eternal King (John 1:49, Matthew 2:2, John 12:13 etc.) It therefore stands to reason that Mary, the Mother of Jesus is the New Queen (Rev 12:1).

St. Athanasius (circa 373 A.D.) in referring to Psalm 44 said:
“The self-same who was born of the Virgin is, in truth, King and the Lord God. And on His account, she who gave Him birth is properly and truly proclaimed Queen, Lady and Mother of God….And standing now as Queen at the right hand of her Son the King of all, she is celebrated in Sacred Writ as clad around with the gilded clothing of incorruption and immortality, and surrounded with variety…Let us say then again and again as we look up to Our King, Our Lord and God, and to Our Queen, Our Lady and Mother of God: The Queen stood at thy right hand, in gilded clothing, surrounded with variety.”

And elsewhere he said: “If the Son is a King, the Mother who begot Him is rightly and truly considered a Queen and Sovereign.”

If you would like to know more about why Mary is Queen, check out my video “Queen Mary”:
youtube.com/watch?v=9JVJ1TMxLlc

Spanish Version:
youtube.com/watch?v=sn0uTWmcIcI

The first time I learned the connection between Mary, Queen Mother, and the Old Testament role of Queen Mother, I was so happy. This particular connection between the Old Testament and the New Testament makes it apparent both testaments are needed. They work together.

Thanks for the very informative and helpful post! I’ve been reading the Old Testament lately, which I’m not very familiar with, and am glad I started to.

Just to complement the wonderful OP, here is pretty much the same information in audio format, from Scott Hahn:

youtube.com/watch?v=8HQy8XjM51I

None of this confirms a Marian devotion I already had, but instils one into me which was not extant previously. Thanks be to God for this wondrous revelation.

So why then does Jesus rebuke the woman in Luke 11:27-28?

Why does Jesus's kingship require that his mother have some specific title? The passage you mention in Jeremiah is one of judgement and the ending of the line of kings of Israel. It doesn't follow that just because it was one way back then then when Jesus comes and becomes King again that the old way immediately takes back over. I mean, he did after all prove the he was very much unlike the kings of old in that he was not a forceful political ruler. I think you have to draw a much deeper connection in order for your claims to stick.

Also, Jeremiah in chapters 7 and 44, talks about the idolatry that the had "made offerings to other gods" and then talks about the "queen of heaven."

What certainty do you have that this practice isn't a foreshadow of future idolatry. Doesn't Mary go by that same name now? Why adopt a name that is linked with idolatry and disapproval?

Who says it’s idolatry? You? What teaching authority have you been given to interpret the Word of God?

Sorry, but I’ll always go with the Church that was given authority by The Authority, Jesus.

Here’s a good YouTube video by Fr. Barron on the topic:
The Queenship of Mary: A Commentary by Fr. Barron

[quote="truthandcoffee, post:5, topic:323696"]

[/quote]

He doesn't rebuke the woman in Luke, but he does challenge her. See, only ONE person could give birth to Jesus or nurse Him, and that role had already been filled. Each of us, however, including that nameless woman, and me, and you, is called to hear the word of God and keep it, as Mary did when she responded to God's call. So Jesus is saying "Don't just praise my mother, imitate her."

[quote="HillbillyHermit, post:6, topic:323696"]
Who says it's idolatry? You? What teaching authority have you been given to interpret the Word of God?

[/quote]

Umm... Jeremiah, the prophet, called the worship of the "queen of heaven" idolatry. I'm merely pointing out that Mary is also called the "Queen of Heaven" by various Catholics. That's the connection. I don't think there is much to interpret here. It seems pretty clear since the consequences of their worship of the "queen of heaven" was that they "have lacked everything and have been consumed by the sword and by famine.” If that isn't judgement... I'm not sure what is.

[quote="HillbillyHermit, post:6, topic:323696"]
Sorry, but I'll always go with the Church that was given authority by The Authority, Jesus.

[/quote]

Okay... but what authority does the OP have? Is his post officially sanctioned by the magisterium of the church? Pardon my ignorance on this, I'm new to this discussion.

In the passage you mention, a woman yells “Blessed is the mother who gave you birth and nursed you”. However this is not the main reason why Mary is blessed, but rather that is a consequence of her submission to the will of God. For Jesus, following the will of God is key to be “Blessed”. So Jesus then says “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it”. This is the main reason why she (Mary) is “Blessed”. Mary had said previously: “I am the Lord’s servant”,“May your word to me be fulfilled.” Luke 1:38.

In other words, Jesus is not saying that Mary isn’t blessed. He’s just given the actual reason why. And not just Mary, but anyone who does the will of God. Jesus in fact isn’t rebuking the woman for calling Mary Blessed, rather he is giving the main reason why she is. Remember, Scripture also says: "In a loud voice she exclaimed: 'Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear!’" Luke 1:42. These words are of course, for Mary. And these words are true, because in the previous verse, scripture says Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. Thus these words are of the Holy Spirit. Jesus and the Holy Spirit agree.

Its not a requirement, its a consequence.

Yes it does follow that with Jesus’ kingship Mary is made queen, just as the Old Testament Kings had their mother’s as queens. Remember, one of the titles Jesus is given as King, is “King of Israel” and “King of the Jews”. As said here:
“Nathanael declared, ‘Rabbi, you are the Son of God; you are the king of Israel.’” John 1:49

If so, then just like the Kings of Israel, his Mother (Mary) is a Queen just by that fact.

There were plenty of Kings that were not forceful political rulers by the way. Some were righteous in God’s own eyes.

We don’t worship Mary. Therefore it cannot by idolatry. Calling Mary “Queen”, is not and cannot be idolatry just as calling any secular queen a “queen” is not either. We ask for Mary’s intercession, which is not equal to worship. Jeremiah is referring to the worship of false idols, we worship God alone.

Umm... Jeremiah, the prophet, called the worship of the "queen of heaven" idolatry. I'm merely pointing out that Mary is also called the "Queen of Heaven" by various Catholics. ...

But we don't worship Mary.

Okay... but what authority does the OP have? Is his post officially sanctioned by the magisterium of the church? Pardon my ignorance on this, I'm new to this discussion.

I didn't say the OP had authority. What the OP said, as far as I know, doesn't go against Church teachings on the subject of the queenship of Mary. The YouTube link I provided was another source of info on the same teachings, given by a priest.

[quote="NHInsider, post:7, topic:323696"]
He doesn't rebuke the woman in Luke, but he does challenge her. See, only ONE person could give birth to Jesus or nurse Him, and that role had already been filled. Each of us, however, including that nameless woman, and me, and you, is called to hear the word of God and keep it, as Mary did when she responded to God's call. So Jesus is saying "Don't just praise my mother, imitate her."

[/quote]

But they wouldn't have known that she was following the will of God, would they? How could they have imitated her if they didn't know that?

Here's a little bit from the Haydock Commentary about those verses:

The occasion which Christ took from this to pronounce them more happy who are his faithful and obedient followers than she was who bore and nursed him. He does not deny what this woman said, nor refuse her respect to him and his mother; but leads her from this to that which was of higher consideration, and which more concerned her: Yea, rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it, Luk_11:28. He thinks them so; and his saying that they are so makes them so, and should make us of his mind. This is intended partly as a check to her, for doting so much upon his bodily presence and his human nature, partly as an encouragement to her to hope that she might be as happy as his own mother, whose happiness she was ready to envy, if she would hear the word of God and keep it. Note, Though it is a great privilege to hear the word of God, yet those only are truly blessed, that is, blessed of the Lord, that hear it and keep it, that keep it in memory, and keep to it as their way and rule.

:)

[quote="truthandcoffee, post:8, topic:323696"]
Umm... Jeremiah, the prophet, called the worship of the "queen of heaven" idolatry. I'm merely pointing out that Mary is also called the "Queen of Heaven" by various Catholics. That's the connection. I don't think there is much to interpret here. It seems pretty clear since the consequences of their worship of the "queen of heaven" was that they "have lacked everything and have been consumed by the sword and by famine.” If that isn't judgement... I'm not sure what is.

[/quote]

I think you will find that argument fairly unsubstantiated by logic. It would be no different than rejected Christianity just because Pagans worship a god.

[quote="ChrisRedfield47, post:1, topic:323696"]
In the Old Testament, the Jewish Kingdom not only had Kings, it had Queens. Due to the Fact that polygamy was an accepted practice (e.g. Solomon had 700 wives) the Jewish Queen was the King's Mother. There are two words used in the Scriptures to describe the actual position or office of this Jewish Woman:

1- Gebhirah "גְּבִירָה" means "Queen Mother" (Examples: 1 Kings 11:19; Jeremiah 29:2; 2 Kings 10:13)
2- Malketha "מַלְכְּתָ֜א" means the Mother of the King (Daniel 5:10).

The political importance of the "Gebhirah" is illustrated by the fact that in the Books of Kings, with two exceptions, the names of the Jewish kings are recorded together with those of their respective mothers; they are as follows:

Naamah, the Ammonitess, the mother of Rehoboam (1 Kings 14:21; compare 14:31, and 2 Chronicles 12:13); Maacah, the daughter of Abishalom (1 Kings 15:2) or Absalom (2 Chronicles 11:20) the mother of Abijah; Maacah, the daughter of Abishalom, the mother (grandmother?) of Asa (1 Kings 15:10; compare 2 Chronicles 15:16); Azubah, the daughter of Shilhi, the mother of Jehoshaphat (1 Kings 22:42; compare 2 Chronicles 20:31); Athaliah, the grand-daughter of Omri, the mother of Ahaziah (2 Kings 8:26; compare 2 Chronicles 22:2); Zibiah of Beersheba, the mother of Jehoash (2 Kings 12:1; compare 2 Chronicles 24:1); Jehoaddin (Jehoaddan, 2 Chronicles 25:1) of Jerusalem, the mother of Amaziah (2 Kings 14:2); Jecoliah (Jechiliah, 2 Chronicles 26:3) of Jerusalem, the mother of Azariah (2 Kings 15:2) or Uzziah (2 Kings 15:13, 30, etc.; compare 2 Chronicles 26:3); Jerusha (Jerushah, 2 Chronicles 27:1), the daughter of Zadok, the mother of Jotham (2 Kings 15:33); Abi (Abijah, 2 Chronicles 29:1), the daughter of Zechariah, the mother of Hezekiah (2 Kings 18:2); Hephzibah, the mother of Manasseh (2 Kings 21:1); Meshullemeth, the daughter of Haruz of Jotbah, the mother of Amon (2 Kings 21:19); Jedidah, the daughter of Adaiah of Bozkath, the mother of Josiah (2 Kings 22:1); Hamutal, the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah, the mother of Jehoahaz (2 Kings 23:31); Zebidah, the daughter of Pedaiah of Rumah, the mother of Jehoiakim (2 Kings 23:36); Nehushta, the daughter of Elnathan of Jerusalem, the mother of Jehoiachin (2 Kings 24:8); Hamutal (Hamital), the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah, the mother Of Zedekiah (2 Kings 24:18). The exceptions are Jehoram and Ahaz.

The Queen had her own throne as described in the following Scripture passage:

"When Bathsheba went to King Solomon to speak to him for Adonijah, the king stood up to meet her, bowed down to her and sat down on his throne. He had a throne brought for the king’s mother, and she sat down at his right hand. “I have one small request to make of you,” she said. “Do not refuse me.” The king replied, “Make it, my mother; I will not refuse you." 1 Kings 2:19-20

Eventually however, due to disobedience towards God, Israel's Royal Crown was eliminated, as foreseen by the Prophet Jeremiah:

Jeremiah 13:18-19
"Say to the king and to the queen mother,
'Come down from your thrones,
for your glorious crowns
will fall from your heads.”
The cities in the Negev will be shut up,
and there will be no one to open them.
All Judah will be carried into exile,
carried completely away.'"

Such prophesy was later fulfilled:

2 Kings 24:12:
"Jehoiachin king of Judah, his mother, his attendants, his nobles and his officials all surrendered to him. In the eighth year of the reign of the king of Babylon, he took Jehoiachin prisoner."

2 Kings 24:15
"Nebuchadnezzar took Jehoiachin captive to Babylon. He also took from Jerusalem to Babylon the king’s mother, his wives, his officials and the prominent people of the land."

But in the New Testament, Jesus Christ is the New and Eternal King (John 1:49, Matthew 2:2, John 12:13 etc.) It therefore stands to reason that Mary, the Mother of Jesus is the New Queen (Rev 12:1).

St. Athanasius (circa 373 A.D.) in referring to Psalm 44 said:
"The self-same who was born of the Virgin is, in truth, King and the Lord God. And on His account, she who gave Him birth is properly and truly proclaimed Queen, Lady and Mother of God….And standing now as Queen at the right hand of her Son the King of all, she is celebrated in Sacred Writ as clad around with the gilded clothing of incorruption and immortality, and surrounded with variety…Let us say then again and again as we look up to Our King, Our Lord and God, and to Our Queen, Our Lady and Mother of God: The Queen stood at thy right hand, in gilded clothing, surrounded with variety."

And elsewhere he said: “If the Son is a King, the Mother who begot Him is rightly and truly considered a Queen and Sovereign.”

If you would like to know more about why Mary is Queen, check out my video "Queen Mary":
youtube.com/watch?v=9JVJ1TMxLlc

Spanish Version:
youtube.com/watch?v=sn0uTWmcIcI

[/quote]

Thanks so much... I will try to study these youtubes closely..... thanks again:thumbsup:

[quote="Hamlet123, post:14, topic:323696"]
Thanks so much... I will try to study these youtubes closely..... thanks again:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Your welcome :)

[quote="Darryl_B, post:13, topic:323696"]
I think you will find that argument fairly unsubstantiated by logic. It would be no different than rejected Christianity just because Pagans worship a god.

[/quote]

True. The very word "God" is derived from a word equivalent to "Odin."

Also, Jeremiah in chapters 7 and 44, talks about the idolatry that the had "made offerings to other gods" and then talks about the "queen of heaven."

Satan set up a false queen of heaven so as to confuse people.

Read more at

defendingthebride.com/ma3/only21.html

Additional Relevant Topics:

Proof that Catholics clearly teach to worship only God and not to worship Mary

SATAN’S ENEMY #1 - Read why Satan wants us to avoid Mary.

Woman of Genesis 3:15 - Read what “enmity” means

Mary in Heaven with Crown of Stars - Confirmation Mary is Queen.

[/quote]

What certainty do you have that this practice isn't a foreshadow of future idolatry. Doesn't Mary go by that same name now? Why adopt a name that is linked with idolatry and disapproval?

[/quote]

Genesis 3:15
“I [God] will put enmity between you [Satan] and the woman, and between your offspring and hers”

Satan knew that the Woman of this prophesy would oppose him completely (by the grace of God.) So, it should not be surprising that Satan, who is the father of lies, John 8:44, would want to set up a false Queen of Heaven to confuse people so that they didn’t recognize Mary as the true Queen of Heaven.

Read more at

defendingthebride.com/ma3/only21.html

Additional Relevant Topics:

Proof that Catholics clearly teach to worship only God and not to worship Mary

SATAN’S ENEMY #1 - Read why Satan wants us to avoid Mary.

Woman of Genesis 3:15 - Read what “enmity” means

Mary in Heaven with Crown of Stars - Confirmation Mary is Queen.

I'm wondering if a fully informed and devoted Catholic should pray more to Mary or more to Jesus. What do you think I should consider? It seems that the most devout members I have encountered pray much more to Mary and give thanks to Mary when good things happen. I have one acquaintance that seems so to love the church, and she is Puerto Rican, and she can be heard saying, "Gracias Mama!" when blessings happen to her!

Why does Jesus's kingship require that his mother have some specific title? The passage you mention in Jeremiah is one of judgement and the ending of the line of kings of Israel. It doesn't follow that just because it was one way back then then when Jesus comes and becomes King again that the old way immediately takes back over. I mean, he did after all prove the he was very much unlike the kings of old in that he was not a forceful political ruler. I think you have to draw a much deeper connection in order for your claims to stick.

[/quote]

:dts: your sense of logic is completely twisted.pff!
IMHO you are on the boarder line of blasphemy against The Blessed Virgin Mary.
So do you realy think that the Jesus Christ will allow his mother to be the queen of idolators?seriously?Not only are you dishonouring the Mother of God by such weird reasoning but you are dishonouring God Himself!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.