Why me?

All right folks!

Now that I’ve calmed down a bit from my previous clueless thread (it’s moi problem! Not the Church’s!), I am curious.

Why am I in the Catholic Church and not my family? Or other people around me who aren’t Catholic? Why me?

As some people would say, oh, it’s base on choice of religion.

[quote=Paris Blues]All right folks!

Now that I’ve calmed down a bit from my previous clueless thread (it’s moi problem! Not the Church’s!), I am curious.

Why am I in the Catholic Church and not my family? Or other people around me who aren’t Catholic? Why me?
[/quote]

I have asked this question a hundred times. At times it feels like a burden (because I really want all my Protestant friends to come home) and at other times I feel really blessed (why in the world did God, considering my past, give me the grace to become a Christian and now a Catholic?). I don’t know why He chose me, but I am glad He did.

Paris, he uses people like us to be a light to others. The funny thing is, if you were in most parts of Christian Europe as a Protestant, you would probably asking, “why am I Protestant and everyone around me is Catholic?”

It’s funny, I live in Toronto, and 90 % of people I know are Catholic!

I know it can be very lonely being the only Catholic in your circle of friends or family, but you should rejoice that you heeded God’s call and drew closer when He reached out to you. You can also offer up your loneliness and feelings of being misunderstood to the Lord as suffering. And when all else fails, come commiserate with your friends at Catholic Answers forums. :slight_smile:

I feel the same way most of the time. It’s very hard being the only Catholic in a ‘Catholic’ family (they go to an Anglican church, and know nothing about the CC’s teaching. I once asked my mum whether she believed in Papal Infallibility or not. Her answer? “What’s that?” :rolleyes: Says it all really, doesn’t it?) I reverted, well more converted to Catholicism (I went to this Anglican church for years, knew nothing of the CC’s teaching… it was only through defending the CC I ended up discovering its truth) and because of this I get a lot of stick over things that I can’t control… eg. the validity of the Anglican Eucharist. My mum had a real go at me over that… she didn’t like the fact I didn’t take the communion at her church… “How dare you imply it doesn’t have the same meaning as a Catholic Mass! It’s because of people like you theres all the trouble in Northern Ireland!”… I was like “Umm I’m sure it is, Mum. Anyway, it’s not my fault, blame Jesus for creating a Church with Apostolic Succession!” It can be so frustrating - why can’t they see the truth of the CC blatantly infront of them???

Paris,

I read your previous post “why stay Catholic”…I think you already answered that when you started RCIA…becasue you probably felt the Catholic Church was the one “TRUE” chruch. If you were to leave…where would you go? when Jesus asked Peter “will you also leave me”? he said my Lord… if I did…where would I go?
I was born into the Catholic faith, most of my family has left the church… I’m sadded by this and I often wonder if they will ever come back. I know it must be a struggle for you, but keep asking the Lord and our Blessed Lady to help you in times of doubt.
Don’t be hard on yourself, being Catholic should be a joy in your heart:yup: not a hardship:nope:

Hey Lil Sis!
Ya just can’t argue with GRACE!

If He can win a hardhead like you…the rest will be a walk in the park! :slight_smile:
Lova ya!
Pax tecum,

I once asked my mum whether she believed in Papal Infallibility or not. Her answer? “What’s that?” Says it all really, doesn’t it?)

Lol, my mums like that, when we were watching Parkinson once, and Madonna was on it talking about her excommunication, my mother reassured the family that “We would all be excommunicated if they knew what we were up to” - she is not really that devout :o

[quote=Superstar905]Paris, he uses people like us to be a light to others. The funny thing is, if you were in most parts of Christian Europe as a Protestant, you would probably asking, “why am I Protestant and everyone around me is Catholic?”

It’s funny, I live in Toronto, and 90 % of people I know are Catholic!
[/quote]

Are you suggesting that family members who aren’t Catholic but are devout Christians are some how being itgnored by God, or that they are ignoring God? I’m the only Catholic in my family but they are very devout Baptists, including 2 ministers. To suggest that they their relationship with God is somehow inferior to ours seems sinful to me, not to mention being the opposite of humble. Who are we to presume to know what God’s relationship is with others?

You are Catholic because Yahweh God has kindly given you the Grace to see the truth, and you have cooperated with that Grace. Please continue to do so.
God bless you,
Jaypeeto3

[/quote]

I think your signature answers your own question.

YOU have been found. God was looking for you all along, and He found you at this time. He continues to look for your family and friends. Have faith that He’ll find them too…and if you can assist in any way, do so.

[/quote]

I married an Anglican . Three years ago in June out of the blue she told me “I could never become a Catholic” This was after 12 years of marriage. I had never pushed her or put any pressure on on her to become a Catholic. She was confirmed into our Church the following spring. What happened? God decided it was time for her to come home. Have patience with your family-all comes about in God’s time-not our time.

[/quote]

Why did He choose Peter, or Mark, or Matthew, or Mary Magdalen?

My cousin, when she was only about 10 years old, convinced her lapsed Catholic mother, who never went to Church, to take her to Mass every Sunday where she eventually got active in many things. 4 years later, she proudly watched her formerly Methodist Father get baptised and receive confirmation and Communion one Holy Thursday some 20 years ago. Her dad was a devout Catholic, always seen at Mass every Sunday and singing on top of his lungs. And, he died a Catholic, and was buried from the same parish just over a year ago.

All it takes is one person, and often times it is a kid within a family that gets things going, or a sibling. YOu may endure many lonely Catholic years, but just remember the most important family of all is right there for you. You may not always recognize Jesus or Mary working through you, but slowly it can happen.

But, if you push too much on any of them, it will risk it all. Just go slow and be an example. Any jabs you take for your Catholic faith, or ridicules, represent the cross you must carry. It is so Christ-like to have to suffer such things. But, like he turned to his father while on the Cross, so must we.

Be patient, be an example, but a gentle, meek, humble, prayerful example, not a preaching, pushy example. At some point, you may find some of them asking you questions.

Hey Paris:

Our family was just talking about this same thing, we where watching mine and dh wedding video. We had 200 people at the wedding only 15 took communion. So why me, still don’t know, I wonder that each day as I struggle to stay in the church, but hey guess what it’s not my decision, I can run away, but God will when he wants pull me back and if he choses he will have me bring others. Don’t sweat it your in his church, what others do is their business, God will push you to do what he wants, of course hopefully your are not like me and push really really hard the other way, it just gets you in way too much trouble.

scared

Jesus said it best,

Lk 12:49-53 “49 “I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing! 50 There is a baptism with which I must be baptized, and how great is my anguish until it is accomplished! 51 Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. 52 From now on a household of five will be divided, three against two and two against three; 53 a father will be divided against his son and a son against his father, a mother against her daughter and a daughter against her mother, a mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.””

Jesus never said it would be easy to follow Him. Overseas Catholic churches are burned and Catholics beaten or killed. Why? Faith! They have it. They keep it.

We bear a cross for Jesus. Be proud when you are in pain for you suffer your passion for Him.

On this day today that we remember St. Amaswinthus hold your
up high. Do not be sad but be happy. You are not the minority here, you are in the Shepards flock. Hungry wolves will try to devour you, but our Lord the Shepard will protect you. Put a smile on your face. You are a member of a 2,000 year old Church that is loyal to Jesus. All are called to join but not all will volunteer. You are preserving the Faith of your forefathers for your children and thier children. In years to come you will put a grandchild upon your knee. Your back will be old and bent over, your eyes will be tired, your cheeks will be sagging. Your grandchild will ask you, “Why are you Catholic?” Your back will straighten upright with pride, you cheeks will smile, your eyes will glow with love and you’ll simply say, “I have kept the Faith.”

Your cross is heavy now but a great reward awaits you in heaven. You are looking out from your box, you need to climb out of your box and look back in. Your pasture is the greener one.

Don’t feel sorry for yourself, feel sory for your family and friends that don’t honor Him as you do.

[quote=koda]Are you suggesting that family members who aren’t Catholic but are devout Christians are some how being itgnored by God, or that they are ignoring God? I’m the only Catholic in my family but they are very devout Baptists, including 2 ministers. To suggest that they their relationship with God is somehow inferior to ours seems sinful to me, not to mention being the opposite of humble. Who are we to presume to know what God’s relationship is with others?
[/quote]

Aren’t you assuming a heck of a lot here? No-one said or even suggested that God was ignoring those around us that aren’t Catholic, or that they don’t have a relationship with God - all they said about those people was that they weren’t Catholic.

If you’re talking about the ‘light to others’ bit (in the post you quoted), it is because, even though God doesn’t ignore those who aren’t Catholic, He does want them to join the Catholic Church - and hence, Paris, who converted to Catholicism, is a light to them as she is an example, showing them they way down a path that God wants them to go.

I may be wrong about this, but it seems that your post was almost an attempt to start a fight - and you are a Catholic, what’s the matter? This thread hardly seems one to get offended in and start fights.

I have a similar frustration, but mine is more, “why can’t everyone see the truth?” This faith is not just opinion. It is as real to me as the sun rising in the East every morning. This is the mystery to me. All I can do is keep pointing in the direction of the sunrise and hope God will lift the fog that impairs the view.

Yeah, I sure am a hardhead…very opinionated…But anything is possible with God and I know He can change my sometimes-heart-of-stone into a heart of flesh.:stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

I don’t know. I am the only Catholic in my Faimly too. I guess that just means that our testamony (silent or vocal) means all the more.

I and my grandaughter (taken into the Church 3/26/05) are the only Catholics in my entire family.
Even before Jennifer was Confirmed at Easter, I was a joyfilled person on my Catholic road.
The rest of the family didn’t want to hear anything about Catholicism and not a one of them came to my Confirmation.
S’okay though. I’m happy in my faith.
I have noticed since my grandaughter has become Catholic (some of them DID go to her Confirmation), there seems to be a bit less animosity.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.