Why Muslim women are not praying in the local Mosque?

Muslims please answer this.
I know women are going to Makkah and Medina and they are not praying regularly in the local Mosques like Christians. Why they don`t pray in their local Mosque?

In Christ,
selvaraj

[quote=selvaraj]Muslims please answer this.
I know women are going to Makkah and Medina and they are not praying regularly in the local Mosques like Christians. Why they don`t pray in their local Mosque?

In Christ,
selvaraj
[/quote]

Which local mosque are you talking about? In my area we have many women who come regularly.

[quote=Emad]Which local mosque are you talking about? In my area we have many women who come regularly.
[/quote]

In the Saudi Arabian Mosques and in the Bahrain Mosques.

In Christ,
selvaraj

[quote=selvaraj]In the Saudi Arabian Mosques and in the Bahrain Mosques.
[/quote]

i don’t know what mosques you’re talking about, but i know that women pray in the sacred mosques in both madeenah and makkah. and i’m pretty sure i can verify whether or not they pray in other mosques by asking a couple of friends that reside there.

:slight_smile:

[quote=selvaraj]In the Saudi Arabian Mosques and in the Bahrain Mosques.

In Christ,
selvaraj
[/quote]

I have visited about 25 different mosques in Saudi Arabia and I haven’t seen one where women aren’t allowed to pray. Why are you asking this question anyway? The Prophet peace be upon him said “If your women want to attend the mosque don’t prevent them” His mosque also allowed women. He also used to set aside a day just for the women to teach them and take their questions. So even if you find a mosque or two who don’t allow women, it is not part of Islam.

:slight_smile:

[quote=r.gonzales]i don’t know what mosques you’re talking about, but i know that women pray in the sacred mosques in both madeenah and makkah. and i’m pretty sure i can verify whether or not they pray in other mosques by asking a couple of friends that reside there.

[/quote]

Except Makkah and Madeenah, no women are attending to prayers in Saudi Arabian Mosques. Why is that?
(Note:since1984 I am in the Gulf)

In Christ,
selvaraj

[quote=selvaraj]Except Makkah and Madeenah, no women are attending to prayers in Saudi Arabian Mosques. Why is that?

In Christ,
selvaraj
[/quote]

Because the Saudi Arabian government is comprised of a series of obese men who steal people’s money and oppress people in the name of religion. Thats why.

If you wish to then feel free to hold a protest against them…oh wait…youd get killed, because they’re oppressive.

[quote=selvaraj]Except Makkah and Madeenah, no women are attending to prayers in Saudi Arabian Mosques. Why is that?

In Christ,
selvaraj
[/quote]

Did you read my last post? I clearly said that I have visited more than 25 different mosques in Saudi Arabia and ALL of them allowed women to pray in them. I also quoted a saying of the Prophet peace be upon him. Do you have a problem distinguishing between Islam and Saudi Arabia? Again I don’t believe your claim, because I am yet to see or hear of a mosque that doesn’t allow women to pray in it.

Emad I know were on the same side here, however I know that in Libya women don’t pray in the mosques and there is nowhere for them to pray even if they do want to pray.

Thank you for allowing all muslims to pray Qadaffi :rolleyes:

Yeah thats the same Qadaffi that told his military that he is their rabb.

[quote=Eetaq]Emad I know were on the same side here, however I know that in Libya women don’t pray in the mosques and there is nowhere for them to pray even if they do want to pray.

Thank you for allowing all muslims to pray Qadaffi :rolleyes:

Yeah thats the same Qadaffi that told his military that he is their rabb.
[/quote]

I am sure not all mosques in Libya don’t allow women to pray. Let me make something clear to everyone. There is a difference between what certain governments do and Islam. I still challenge anyone to bring one verse from the Quran or saying of the Prophet peace be upon him forbidding women from praying in the mosque. I have already cited a saying of the Prophet peace be upon him and examples from his life that show women were regular in the mosque. If necessary I can also cite examples from the lives of his companions were women went to the mosque. Unless you have proof from the Quran or Sunnah, I really don’t want to hear it.

That would be like me blaming Catholics for America allowing gay marriage. When in reality the two have nothing to do with each other.

Hey Emad were both on at the same time :cool: :thumbsup:

Yes please make the distinction between countries where the majority of people are muslim and between Islam, it makes it much easier for us to stay here and answer your questions when we are talking about Islam and not politics.

Q: Why Muslim women are not praying in the local Mosque?

A: They can go to a masjid. A situation where they are not allowed, then this is not Islam and this is culture.

wa salam

[quote=fatuma]Q: Why Muslim women are not praying in the local Mosque?

A: They can go to a masjid. A situation where they are not allowed, then this is not Islam and this is culture.

wa salam
[/quote]

Is that Islamic culture? men dont care about the womens prayer. Practically they don`t like to take their wives,mother and daughters to the Mosque to pray with them.

In Christ,
selvaraj

When I was in Saudi Arabia, I noticed women go to their local mosque. Even in the shopping malls, there are areas for them to pray. As my Muslims friend explained to me, the men are obliged to pray in congregaton but the women are excused because of their domestic duties. However, if they wish, it is ok for them to pray in the mosque as long as nothing is compromised with the family or household responsibilities like taking care of the young ones, etc.

manx

[quote=selvaraj]Is that Islamic culture? men dont care about the womens prayer. Practically they don`t like to take their wives,mother and daughters to the Mosque to pray with them.

In Christ,
selvaraj
[/quote]

Why is this so hard to understand? There is no such thing as Islamic culture. Islam is a religion and not a culture. Anyone who doesn’t allow his female relatives go to the mosque is going against the order of the Prophet peace be upon him to allow them.

We are shown over and over again clips on television where men and praying on their mats and bowing over and over again. There are never women in the room. That is where we get the idea. It might be that women are allowed. However, we never see them on television going to mosques.

It is very important that we do not confuse cultural limitations verses Islamic limitations. In the case of Sudia Arabia, the limiting of women in mosques is purely cultural and has nothing to do with Islam. In Islam women have equal rights, if a country or culture limit a woman’s right it is against Islam.

I appologize for not including this in my previous reply.

There are a few things that you must understand about prayer and a typical Islamic Family. First, women DO NOT pray behind the men because we are second class citizens or valued less. We pray behind the men for our modesty and the purpose of prayer. As you have probably seen on television, we bend and prostrate in prayer, by being behind the men we don’t worry that someone is looking at us. And the men are not distractd by a woman bending or prostrating infront of them. Our sole purpose is to worship, remember and thank Allah(God). The second point I would like to make is typically a woman is home during the day while the men are out at work or handeling business. Because of this the men are more likely to go to a mosque to pray while a woman will do it in the comfort of her home. However should a woman choose to pray at a mosque it is agianst Islam to prevent her.

[quote=Fitz]We are shown over and over again clips on television where men and praying on their mats and bowing over and over again. There are never women in the room. That is where we get the idea. It might be that women are allowed. However, we never see them on television going to mosques.
[/quote]

Many times the media came to my local mosque, especially right after sept 11, however we didn’t allow them to put our women on camera bowing down and prostrating. Just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Most mosques consist of two rooms, one for them men, and another for the women directly behind the mens room.

[quote=Emad]Many times the media came to my local mosque, especially right after sept 11, however we didn’t allow them to put our women on camera bowing down and prostrating. Just because you don’t see them doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Most mosques consist of two rooms, one for them men, and another for the women directly behind the mens room.
[/quote]

I understand that you think you are protecting women keeping them separate. However I disagree with women being separated out, and I also disagree that they are treated equal in that respect. I think that everything that you show the world on this issue is that you think women are like children. I really am not a die hard feminist, but this seems very unfair to all the women in your religion.

When women have to cover up to protect men from them, it just seems very sad. You many say not to look to cultural ways as religious ways, but one seems to follow the other.

Please do not think I think less of the women in these cases. I meet many women that wear the veils and I find most of them to be very nice and knowledgeable people. I just don’t like how it seems. It seems like a very bad case of discrimination.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.