Why Muslims should celebrate Christmas

The Koran clearly states that Jesus was born of the Virgin Mary, through intercession of the Spirit. It celebrates Mary more than any other female and maintains that Jesus was the Messiah.

Why do the Muslims refuse to celebrate the birth of the Messiah? How can they acknowledge Jesus and refuse Him at the same time?

Muslims do not celebrate birthdays of any sort.

What about the birthday of their prophet, Jakasaki? I’ve seen celebrations of it from Palestine, Pakistan, Libya and elsewhere, though some Muslim leaders apparently believe it is unacceptable, because they say Muslims should only have two holidays (Ramadan and 'Eid). But it’s still out there, in some places.

But anyway, I don’t think Muslims should celebrate Christmas. It is, or at least its roots are, a celebration of the Nativity of Jesus Christ the Savior of the world and the Only-Begotten Son of God, not of the birth of the Islamic prophet 'Isa ibn Maryam, which is the only Jesus that Muslims even recognize. It’s nice to get Christmas greetings from some of my Muslim friends, though, in same way that I wish any of my friends and family happy _____ (whatever), regardless of whether or not we agree about religion.

As our sister in Christ jakasaki have said, Muslims do not celebrate any birthday not even for Muhammed himself (at least in the orthodox Islamic countries), because of a hadith where Muhammed rebuked his followers for celebrating some days they used to celebrate before Islam, here is the hadith in Arabic:

[RIGHT]* أبو داود في سننه*
قدم رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم المدينة ولهم يومان يلعبون فيهما فقال: "ما هذان اليومان؟ قالوا: كنا نلعب فيهما في الجاهلية فقال يا رسول إن الله قد أبدلكم بهما خيراً منهما يوم الأضحى ويوم الفطر [/RIGHT]

Is this true of all Muslims; Shia, Sunni and the various offshoots?

The orthodox Muslims do follow that hadith, however, some mainstream Muslims from the sects you have mentioned in some countries like the ones mentioned by our brother in Christ (dzheremi) do celebrate the birth of Muhammed and even their own personal birthdays.

We Muslim believe that Jesus is one of the mightiest messenger of God. We believe in his miraculous birth. We believe in his many miracles including giving life to the dead by God permission but we are in conflict in regards to his birth date if we only knew the date of his birth we would also celebrate his birth date like “Milad-Un-Nabi” The birth of Muhammad we do celebrate. We have the birth day of Jesus but when was he born? Christian tell us 25th of December. But he was not born on the 25th of December. Today the learned men of Christendom had come to realize that he was not born on the 25th of December. This 25th of December is the Pagans “Sun God” not the “SON” of God.

The Quran tell us very Clearly that when Jesus was born his mother Mary was told to shake the trunk of the palm tree so that moist dates would fall down from which she could eat and be nourished after the birth of the child. So, it was mid-summer. if the Quran says that the dates ripe it means mid-summer not mid-winter. Palestine is in the northern hemisphere your winter and their winter is the same and the Bible also says (Luke 2:8) that when Jesus was born there were shepherds out in the field. If the shepherd stays out open in Palestine in mid-winter he or she will freeze to death and sheep also will freeze to death.

Were you an athiest before?

MJ

No

Does Islam (during its origin) teach about Roman history and paganism?

MJ

Those clever English speaking, first century pagans.

This is just my opinion and may not be entirely correct so take it with a grain of salt.

While we respect and recognize Jesus differently than Christians. We don’t celebrate his birthday for the same reason we don’t celebrate the birthdays of all the other former prophets. They don’t play any significant role in our faith.

The salsa fist extremists are the only ones who don’t celebrate birthdays. Most Muslims celebrate birthdays in general and Muhammad’s (as) birthday in particular. Shia Muslims celebrate the birthdays of the imams in addition to the prophet.

Undoubtedly, his birth was a glorious event. However, Christmas has more to it [to christians] than merely celebrating the birth of the Messiah. It’s about the second person of the Trinity coming into the world to save mankind from their sins; this is a Christian concept– not an Islamic one. It is absolute sacrilege for a muslim to believe that any man is a deity, so to celebrate something that’s based on this concept is utterly out of the question.

Not really, it would sort of be the like muslim saying “you should celebrate this feast day because it honours Abraham.”

Thanks for that Jeremy ~ I didn’t know that.

From other Islamic forums I’ve been on, they all insisted that birthdays are not to be celebrated and that included their prophet.

I need to look deeper into this.

Altering or faking the original birth story of JESUS would not help Christianity in any possible way! not in the past and not now, so there is absolutely no reason to think that the Christians have corrupted JESUS birth story.:shrug:

Also your assumption about Palestine weather is a little exaggerating, since humans with their animals have lived for many years below -60c and survived.

However, I hope you spend more time at CAF to learn more about that “mightiest messenger of God”, whom He is present even before Abraham was born:

***(John 8:56-58):
*Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.
You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!
Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I AM".
[RIGHT]
أبُوكُمْ إبْراهِيْمُ ابْتَهَجَ مُتَشَوِّقاً لِأنْ يَرَى يَوْمِي، وَقَدْ رَآهُ وَفَرِحَ.

• فَقالَ لَهُ قادَةُ اليَهُودِ: «لَمْ تَبلُغِ الخَمْسِيْنَ بَعْدُ، وَقَدْ رَأيْتَ إبْراهِيْمَ؟*
    قالَ لَهُمْ يَسُوعُ: أقُولُ الحَقَّ لَكُمْ: قَبلَ أنْ يَكُونَ إبْراهِيْمُ، أنا كائِنٌ.»[/RIGHT]

It was celebrated in my location way back in 1964 and up to 1998 or so.

MJ

Um, the learned men of Christendom knew long before the present that 25 Dec wasn’t Christ’s actual date of birth. 25 Dec didn’t actually become the “official date” until several hundred years after Christ’s death; and I’m pretty sure its still not the universal “official date” within Christianity as a whole.

As for the “Sun” and “son,” “sun” in Latin is Sol and “son” is Filius. It doesn’t work in Greek either.

Well it is same prophet as you so called “JESUS” why don’t you call Jesus by his “Original Name” in your Bible? “Yessau” is his original name which Mary gave him. In the time of Jesus they don’t speak English so from where they generate “Jesus”. They speak Hebrew on that time. Yessau in Hebrew and** Isa **in Arabic. Hebrew is a sister language of Arabic.

My main point out is this that we don’t know his exact date of Birth. If we knew for sure we will celebrate.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.