Why no child is safe from the sinister cult of emo

Hannah was a happy 13-year-old until she became an ‘emo’ - part of a sinister teenage craze that romanticises death. Three months later she hanged herself. Here, her devastated mother tells other parents: No child is safe

On the night before she died, she came into their room, kissed her father Raymond on the cheek and cheerfully told him: “I love you, Dad.”

The following day Hannah’s mother Heather went to check on her daughter and found her hanging by a tie from the top rail of her bunk bed.

dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=566481&in_page_id=1879&ito=1490

The story as told in the linked article mirrors that of my friend’s 11 YEAR OLD :eek: granddaughter. Fortunately, praise God, my friend’s daughter, the child’s mother, found the draft of a suicide note crumpled in the wastebasket in her room when she was cleaning. She immediately called the school who advised to allow her to finish out the school day and pick her up after school, telling her where to take her.

After a short stay in a children’s mental hospital, antidepression medication, counseling, family counseling, etc., she is now home and doing very well… AND the computer has been removed from her room and placed in an open, family area.

Parents, please, read this linked article, and if your child starts showing any of the telltale signs, DO SOMETHING IMMEDIATELY.

Emo is not a cult, it’s just awful music all and only about teenage angst. It doesn’t ‘romanticize death’; it’s a… cultural… expression of the statement ‘nobody likes me, everybody hates me, I’m gonna go eat worms and die’. If it did romanticize death, had decent music and fashion, and were at all cool, it’d be goth, but it doesn’t, it doesn’t, and it’s not – respectively.

Parents, if your kids show up with too-tight stripey shirts, hair over one eye, and dripping mascara, get worried, but for their dignity, not their lives. Real mental problems have nothing to do with terrible taste in music.

Welcome to the culture of scapegoating.

“My kid killed themself because of a song.”

Don’t buy it. There’s more to this story than what we’re being told.

Didn’t they do this with Judas Priest, Ozzy, etc. in the past? I think it is odd, but, that doesn’t make it the problem only the blame.

I sometimes listen to Linkin Park. I wonder if that is emo… I am playing “Breaking the Habit” now while reading this thread.

My husband loved, and still loves Heavy Metal music… Even Death Metal… Hey is a very grounded man, but, in high school people looked sideways at him. Sometimes when you get to know these people they are pretty cool. Some “normal” looking people are more depressed than they are and commit suicide too.

I think that regardless of what kind of music your child listens to (and really you shouldn’t be allowing them to listen to trash anyway), you should always be aware of and on the lookout for signs of suicidal thoughts and such. Anyway, here is a good article from WebMD about the warning signs of suicide:

webmd.com/depression/guide/depression-recognizing-signs-of-suicide

I agree! I like heavy metal and according to the stereotype of heavy metal listeners I should be tattooed, pierced, and killing small animals.:stuck_out_tongue:

My sons like a variety of music but I know that they listen to some emo. I am not concerned because they have no signs of suicide. :shrug:

Besides, my hubby listens to country and that is MUCH more depressing then emo. Sometimes I sit and watch CMT with him and every other song is sad. I am suprised that country music fans don’t all jump off of very high bridges on a regular basis.:eek:

Yes, the signs of depression is what a parent should watch for.

I don’t know about the listening to trash comment as the definition of trash is different for each listener.

I like Linkin Park also.:slight_smile: I thought that they were rap/metal.:shrug:

I don’t think that the music leads kids to kill themselves (although if I had to listen to it I would certainly begin contemplating suicide myself, purely because its so terrible) I know loads of these ‘‘emo’’ children and all of them act like they’re one step from death and wax lyrical about it, ‘‘the razor is my salvation’’ and other nonsense.

I do think however that the children who are already depressed are drawn to it like flies to muck. Ribozyme you’re definitely an emo if you meet the following criteria:

Linkin Park
Stripy t-shirt
Jeans so tight they cut off circulation
Think black glasses frames
Manga ish hair
A propensity to sway back and forth in the dark-in the corner of your room listening to My Chemical romance and composing terrible poetry about how horrible your life is.

If you identify with the bird in the video then yes, you most certainly are.

Hope is Emo

I beleive it is a demonic influence. I wonder how many of these kids come from Families that are genuinely practicing Catholics.

Well personally I consider myself a bit of an emo because.

1. I like listening to Linking Park (along with Simple Plan, Green Day etc)

2. Have Manga-ish hair (or at least try to have it)

3. While I may not listen to My Chemical Romance or write poetry, I most definitely have a habit of writing stories with emo characters.

So with that said. I’ll say this.

While listening to depressing music may appear to fuel suicidal thoughts, I think people should first look as to why they’re even listening to it in the first place.

Maybe the kid’s being outcast at school. Maybe he’s/she’s being bullied. Maybe your child doesn’t have as many friends as you think he/she does. You should try to understand. Emos aren’t a part of a ‘sinister cult’, they are just kids with really bad self-esteem issues.

Trust me, from my own personal experience, if there’s one thing that’ll turn a kid ‘emo’ more than music or clothing, it’s bad real-life experiences that damage their self-confidence.

Exactly. It isn’t the music that does it, the music bonds the kids who already have similar problems (or in many cases kids that just think they have problems)

I am a genuinely practicing Catholic whose sons listen to emo and a variety of other music.:shrug: They like classical music also.

Yeah, I mean personally, I don’t think people should be even thinking about blaming the music (or TV show, book etc). They should be more mature than that and start thinking ‘Uh-oh what’s wrong?’ or ‘Did something happen?’

If you’re gonna go the whole ‘Oh no she’s listening to the occultic emo garbage. Throw away the CD’ or ‘He’s reading that unholy comic book again. Burn it.’ all you’ll accomplish is making yourself look like a paranoid evangelical fundamentalist.

People, when handling emos (not just people who pretend they are emos), going confrontational headfirst is a sure recipe for instant disaster. Calling them things like ‘demonic’ or their sense of style ‘a cult’ will only fuel their feelings of self-worthlessness.

In short, you’ll just make it worse.

A song is not going to make someone go out and kill themselves, I agree. But when you have a teen, or even a pre-teen, thats going through that adolescent angst to begin with, and who may have depressive tendancies which may be hidden, and parents who are thinking, “It’s only a phase” - that is a dangerous combination.

If a child spends hours listening to dreadful music about how bad the world is and nobody understands you and everybody hates you, etc., this is not a healthy thing.

If the child starts cutting (and I don’t mean school), and it’s cool weather and they wear long sleeves, this behaviour can go on for a long time before a parent is aware.

If the child is left unsupervised in their room with the computer… this can also be dangerous.

Put this all together with emo videos instructing how to kill yourself (and this is what her parents found on my friend’s granddaughter’s computer) and mix them all together, and oftentimes what you end up with is one dead child.

Parents - keep your eyes open. Keep the lines of communication open, starting from when they are very young. Move the computer into an open area and use every parental control modern technology gives you. Get to know their friends, their music. Wash every long sleeve shirt in the house if you have to so you’ll be able to see if your child is cutting. And don’t hesitate for one second to get help for your child if you see the warning signs piling up.

**It is something that Lorraine Harrison is all too aware of. She has three daughters, the youngest of whom is 11-year-old Levi, a girl who classes herself as emo. **
**Recently, Levi asked her mother: “Just why do people kill themselves?” **“When she asked me that, it made me shudder,” says Lorraine, 46, from Alston in Cumbria. “I managed to keep calm and explained to her that people’s minds are very disturbed, and often they don’t really want to die. But inside I felt sick with worry that Levi is thinking about such things.”

Apparently, I communicate very differently then this parent. If my child asked me why people commit suicide I would probably simply think that she was curious. Then we would talk about how some people get in such a hole that they don’t understand that life almost always gets better.

I would ask if she knew of anyone who was contemplating suicide and how she should always tell an adult if her friends talk about killing themselves.

If I really felt that my daughter was thinking about suicide I would ask and then get her help. I wouldn’t just worry about it. I would take action.

I have deep conversations about EVERYTHING with my children. I’ve noticed that some parents seem terrified to discuss anything adult with their kids. Then they wonder why their kids won’t come talk with them when they have problems that aren’t child like.

Hey, I did that (or at least I expect a lot of what I listen to would be ‘dreadful’ by your lights :wink: ) and look at me, I turned out wonderfully! :stuck_out_tongue:

Admittedly it’s been a bumpy road, but listening to Lou Reed’s Berlin (not at all emo, but the saddest album ever made in my opinion) for two weeks straight in high school was neither a cause nor a symptom of any of my various problems.

As for cutting, depression, and so on – yeah, those are serious issues, but it’s not like it’s an emo-and-only-emo thing. If anything, emos generally seem to play at it for attention rather than have deep-seated self-destructive impulses – showing off scars, trying oh-so-hard to be serious and deep, and of course telling parents to go screw themselves because they just don’t understand (wait, doesn’t every teenager do this?). Kids who really are sick with depression to the point of self-injury don’t generally make a fashion statement out of it.

Bottom line: emo is not a cult, it is the retarded younger sibling of goth; seriously suicidal or self-harming adolescents are going to try for it whether or not they listen to incredibly whiny, banal music; and the Daily Mail is half a step above the late lamented Weekly World News as far as standards of journalism go – ask any Brit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.