Why no communion for visiting Protestants?

Why does Jesus state that his body and blood is shed for you (the Apostles) and for all so that sins may be forgiven, but yet the RC will not allow Protestants to receive the eucharist? It would greatly seem that Catholics don’t even consider Protestants regardless of denomination to be part of the body of Christ. It seems quite unbiblical and unchristianlike for that matter to deny anyone the body and blood of Christ when it was Christ himself who allowed Judas to partake in the last supper (first communion) knowing full well of what he was about to do. Also, if the eucharist is for the forgiveness of sins, then why the emphasis of the RC for those about to receive it to be free from as much sin as possible? None of these church teachings seem to square with scripture.

catholic.com/library/Who_Can_Receive_Communion.asp

I was evangelical Protestant before converting to Catholicism. When I read your question, the first Scripture that occurred to me was I Corinthians 11: 27.

Scripture tells us we need to resolve our problems with our brother before we sit at the table together. Communion is a sign that we believe everything the other believes.

While it is true that there are Catholics who may not honor this, and sit at the table while being believing that the Eucharist is only symbolic, they are not supposed to.

This does not mean we do not believe that these Catholics are not Christians, just as it does not mean we do not believe that non-Catholics are not. What it does mean however, is that we believe that communion is supposed to be the highest form of COMPLETE unity, and declaring that we all believe the same.

If you look at the Early Church as well as scripture, it is clear that there was also a closed communion and if people did not believe ALL that was taught, they were not welcome to the table.

It is not about who is a christian and who isn’t. It is whether or not we can all say the Apostles creed together including “I believe in One, Holy Catholic and apstolic Church.”

Your sister in Christ,
Maria

I believe that Judas had already left… (the Church)… before he was ordained with th e others.

I don’t care what the church teaches, this is totally unbiblical and therefore wrong in the eyes of the most holy one who sacrificed for ALL of us. Amen
[/quote]

What you said here is wrong. You are taking the Nicene Creed out of context. It reads one holy, catholic and apostolic church (meaning one universal church not just the RC). I wholeheartedly believe in the Creeds and th real presence of Jesus in the eucharist.

I don’t care what the church teaches, this is totally unbiblical and therefore wrong in the eyes of the most holy one who sacrificed for ALL of us. Amen

Let me ask you a questions. Do all Protestant believe in the Real Presence of Jesus Christ? That he is Truly Present Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity.

When were the discples “ordained”?

The Catholic Church is the Universal Church.

St. Ignatiusn of Antioch in 107 wrote to Smyrnaeans the following:

Chapter 8. Let nothing be done without the bishop.

See that you all follow the bishop, even as Jesus Christ does the Father, and the presbytery as you would the apostles; and reverence the deacons, as being the institution of God. Let no man do anything connected with the Church without the bishop. Let that be deemed a proper

[quote]Eucharist

, which is [administered] either by the bishop, or by one to whom he has entrusted it. Wherever the bishop shall appear, there let the multitude [of the people] also be; even as, wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful without the bishop either to baptize or to celebrate a love-feast; but whatsoever he shall approve of, that is also pleasing to God, so that everything that is done may be secure and valid.
[/quote]

Roman Catholic Church is Latin Rite but the Church as a whole is Catholic Church. I never like the term Roman Catholic Church to describe Our Church, because it neglects the Eastern Bzyantine Rite Catholics.

The Catholic Church history dates back to Apostolic Times.

Answer: I have no idea what other denominations believe about the eucharist. My denomination believes it to be the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ.

scripturecatholic.com/apostolic_succession.html#apostolic-II

Most of them don’t believe it is really Jesus and believe it is symbolic only.

There are three basic reasons why Protestants should not partake in the celebration of communion at a Catholic Church. Unfortunately, since the reformation, there are deep and divisive differences between the theology of Catholics and their Protestant brothers and sisters. For this reason, in matters of spirituality, we are not truly “one” in thought, as Christ asked us to be in John 17:21. It is perfectly acceptable for a congregation of Catholics (who had made themselves spiritually worthy) to join together in communion because they are spiritually in communion. Likewise, it is perfectly acceptable for a congregation of Baptists to join to join together in communion because their common spiritual philosophies unite them. However, as long as division, unfortunately exists between denominations, it contradicts Scripture for a Protestants to receive communion among Catholics OR for a Catholic to receive communion among Protestants. 1 Cor. 10:17 explains, “Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread.” Unfortunately, for non-Catholics to receive “Holy Communion” proclaims a unity to exist that, regrettably, does not.

A second reason we ask non-Catholics not to receive the Eucharist is that our interpretation of Scripture demands us to do so for their safety. “For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died” (1 Cor. 11:29-30). Since most Protestants, by their own admission, do not feel that the true body of Christ exists in the Eucharist, as Catholics we feel the only Christian thing for us to do is to ask that, for their own safety, they not “drink judgment upon” themselves.

Lastly, Scripture tells us many times that we are showing our respect for God in the way we respect or treat others. As Catholics believe that the Eucharist is the true body and blood of our savior and that to receive it one must truly discern this miracle and be of have received reconciliation for grave sins, etc., if a Protestant were to partake in “Holy Communion” within the context of a Catholic Mass (which calls for the invocation of the Spirit to accomplish the miracle of transubstantiation), we would not only see this as a profaning of Christ, himself, but also as a sign of disrespect towards Catholics and their beliefs. Although we may disagree seriously on many issues, we all agree that we must truly respect the sincere beliefs of one another because to do show disrespect to children of Christ is to show disrespect to Christ, himself.

Many other Christian denominations believe that Communion is symbolic of the body and blood of Christ. The RC Church teaches that it is the Body and Blood of Christ. Those who do not believe the same are not to receive Communion in the RC Church.
Many Protestants churches welcome everyone to the Communion Table. I like the idea that everyone is welcome to the Table but I know a lot of people would not agree with that.

You keep saying things about Protestants in general mainly that most of “them” do not believe in the real presence, well, we do believe in it. What about that? You don’t seem to understand that not all Protestants are the same. Or possibly that you don’t want to believe it.

Just being sure we’re on the same page.

Most often in the Bible, God’s love is pictured as the relationship between husband and wife. The bridegroom and the bride. The Bible is a story about marriage. It begins with Adam and Eve at creation, and their call to be “one flesh.”

Throughout the OT, God speaks of His love for Israel as the love of a husband for his bride. In the NT, the love of the eternal Bridegroom is embodied when the Word becomes flesh. Christ comes as the eternal Bridegroom to give up his body for his bride, so that we might become one flesh with him.

In Eph 5 - the “one flesh” union is a profound mystery. The Biblical vision demonstrates to us that this “one flesh” union is a sacramental symbol of Christ and the Church. Every longing we have for intimacy and union with another is a shadow or foreshadowing of the ultimate union for which we all long - the union of God with all mankind, revealed in the union of Christ and the Church.

The intimacy of married life is meant to be a sign of Christ’s union with the Church. Christ left His Father in heaven, and then left His mother on earth to give up His body for His bride, so that we, the Bride of Christ, might become one flesh with Him. Where do we become one flesh with Christ? In the Eucharist! “Take it, all of you, and eat it. This is my body, given for you.”

The sign of marital love becomes most evident when spouses make themselves one flesh. It is a constant reminder to the whole Church of what happened on the cross, when Jesus gave up His body for His bride. Spousal love is an analogy of God’s love for us, but that doesn’t mean that God is sexual or made in our image. We are made is His image. The Eucharist is the consummation of a mystical marriage. The Eucharist is the sacrament of the bridegroom and the bride.

Receiving the Eucharist while not being truly in union with the Catholic Church is like having sex with someone before you’re married to them. I hope you don’t think that’s permissible! :blush:

The reason why Protestants cannot received because they are NOT in full communion with the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church regards the Blessed Eucharist as a Sacrament. It is very sacrilege to have an unbeliever like a Protestants (who do not believe in all the doctrines of the Catholic Church) take Holy Communion.

It would be like having adultery. If you want to received Holy Communion in the Catholic Church, you have to convert and be Catholic either the Latin Rite or Byzantine Rite. Heck you can even be Orthodox.

Do you believe all the other teachings of the Catholic Church?

Partaking in COMMUNION in the Catholic Church implies that one is in UNION/agreement with the Catholic Church and all Her doctrinal teachings. Just because you believe in the Real Presence doesn’t mean that you agree with any other of the doctrinal teachings of the Church.

If you are not in agreement with all the other teachings of the Church, why would you want to receive the Eucharist in a Catholic Church and give the impression that you agree with Her teachings?

You may say, “but there are many Catholics who receive Communion who do not believe all the doctrines of the Church.” Sadly, this is true. Although the Church is divine, Her members are not.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.