Why no Mass on Good Friday?

Can someone give me an explanation in simple terms why we have no Mass on Good Friday. I would like to be able to explain it to someone so they could understand it. I can’t seem to find the right words for explanation.

Thanks

Hi lakotak,

You might find the following article helpful:
newtheologicalmovement.blogspot.com/2011/04/there-is-no-mass-on-good-friday-and.html

God Bless!

EDIT: Also, found this thread: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=143595

I think it is because Mass is remembering the Passion whereas Good Friday is the Passion.

On Holy Thursday, in remembrance of Christ death all of the consecrated hosts are removed from the tabernacle and the church. The altar lamp is extinguished… The Light of the World, Jesus has died. We remember it through this symbolism. The tabernacle remains empty and the lamp extinguished until Easter Vigil.

The fire is lit outside and everyone enters the dark church with unlit candles and the candles are slowly lit to fill the whole church with light! The Paschal Candle is lit, the Light of the World has conquered the darkness of death and risen from the dead!

:thumbsup:

=lakotak;11869156]Can someone give me an explanation in simple terms why we have no Mass on Good Friday. I would like to be able to explain it to someone so they could understand it. I can’t seem to find the right words for explanation.

Thanks

Sure because its NOT Christ death BUT HIS Ressurection that Makes the Mass and the Sacraments REAL and valid. Which BTW is why Easter is the GREATEST Religious Feast Day:) So because Christ DIED on Good Friday; we don’t celebrate until He rises from the dead, which prefigures OUR own resurrection.

GOOD Question, thanks,
Patrick

The Triduum (Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord’s Supper, Good Friday Commemoration of the Lord’s Passion and the Easter Vigil) are one long Liturgy in three parts.

There isn’t one stand alone Mass on Good Friday. It is a continuation of what started on Holy Thursday and what will end on Sunday… Part of a Mass.

Did a priest tell you this? I’d be loathe to gainsay him, but a Mass pretty clearly begins and ends, it doesn’t stretch over three days.

I just read that article from the second post, and I think I get what it’s saying.

Basically, the Mass IS calvary (same sacrifice) being presented every day for our salvation. The consecration is the re-presentation of the crucifixion.

But on Good Friday, the Church gives deferrence to the historical crucifixion by omitting the consecration. Thus, it avoids having the symbolic crucifixion and historical crucifixion occuring on the same day, which reinforces our belief that it’s really the same sacrifice, happening every other day of the year on our altars.

At least, that’s what I got out of it.

I don’t know if it’s correct to say it is one mass

It IS one liturgy though, all three days. That’s what our priest told us, and it makes complete sense when you see how they all interact.

You will note too that their is no opening hymn on Easter Vigil right?

There is no dismissal at the Mass of the Lord’s Supper.

The Commemoration of the Lord’s Passion lacks a greeting and a dismissal.

The Easter Vigil lacks a greeting and ends with a dismissal which contains the triple Alleluia.

This does makes sense to me the way you put it. How could there be a re-presentation of the crucifixion on the same day that the crucifixion took place.

Sorry to make one correction here. The Easter Triduum has been incorrectly held to be Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Vigil. It is not - it is Holy Thursday, Easter Vigil and Easter Sunday. Again, Catholics often incorrectly take Easter Vigil and Easter Sunday as the same mass, and consider one to be the subsitute for the other. It is not - we should be attending both as the story of the resurrection did not end with the empty tomb of the Easter Vigil but with the appearance of Jesus on Easter Sunday morning.

But, not a big deal to make that mistake as Catholics commonly make that mistake:). Still, I would like to see Easter Sunday morning mass to be as well attended and not just for those who cannot stay up for the Vigil mass.

You are correct in questioning that . :thumbsup:

It is most definitely NOT ONE MASS .

There are different mass readings used to celebrate Easter: some for the Vigil, and some for Sunday. They are not a substitute and I don’t know anyone who thinks they are. They are just used at different times for different purposes. And there is no need to attend both. You are only required to fulfill your Sunday obligation, either by the anticipatory mass (the Vigil) or the Easter Sunday Mass.

If you choose to go to both, that is fine, but there is no requirement. I try to go to daily mass. Since Saturday morning masses are rare, I usually attend Sat Evening and Sun Morning. Same readings (this week the passion) but 2 masses on 2 days. and either one fulfills my Sunday obligation.

Is our discussion here (I selected these posts just as examples) more a case of using imprecise terminolgy rather than disagreeing? Perhaps the following from the US Catholic Bishops may help:

"The **single celebration of the Triduum **marks the end of the Lenten season, and leads to the Mass of the Resurrection of the Lord at the Easter Vigil.

The liturgical services that take place during the Triduum are:
:black_medium_small_square:
Mass
of the Lord’s Supper
:black_medium_small_square:Good Friday of the Lord’s Passion
:black_medium_small_square:Mass of the Resurrection of the Lord"

All emphasis above is mine.

Again, perhaps this statement from the bishops may help:

“The summit of the Liturgical Year is the Easter Triduum—from the evening of Holy Thursday to the evening of Easter Sunday. Though chronologically three days, they are **liturgically one day **unfolding for us the unity of Christ’s Paschal Mystery.”

Againg the emphasis is mine.

My Daily Roman Missal defines the Sacred Pascal Triduum as Holy Thursday, Good Friday and Holy Saturday. I trust that my missal is correct.

You are incorrect in stating that Catholics have to attend both the Easter Vigil and Easter Sunday Masses. One is sufficient.

In future you may want do some research before posting on these kind of questions. The website for the USCCB is a good one.

God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.