Why no ordination of women?

I would be interested to learn and understand the scriptural basis which informs the Church’s stance against the ordination of women priests. My personal instinct, perhaps meantime ill-informed, tends to support the ordination of women. The Church desperately needs more priests and modern societies, quite rightly in my view, espouse equal rights and equal opportunities for women. If we accept that the Church needs more priests and if we accept that we are all equal in the eyes of God then it follows that the Church’s refusal to countenance the ordination of women must be based upon an honestly held belief that it is contrary to the will of God which would necessarily require a particular interpretation of the scriptures to that effect. Any guidance in that regard would be most appreciated.

The following links should assist you in better understanding why the Catholic Church cannot ordain women to the priesthood. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]
Women and the Priesthood**
*]Why can’t women be priests?
*]Why is there so much talk of women’s ordination?
*]Why Can’t Women Be Priests? by Jason Evert
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.