Why no prayers without asking for any wordly favours?

It is interesting as well as intriguing to note that there are no prayers in Catholic Church,including the great prayer taught by Jesus ,which do not ask for any wordly favours.What does it mean? Those who seek only the heavenly life and the union with God,which is the basic aim of our creation,and do not want any particular wordly favour need not pray?Any popular prayers for them?

“Seek ye therefore first the kingdom of God, and his justice, and all these things shall be added unto you”. (Mt 6:33)

“The Lord’s prayer is the prayer of the New Law…It is ‘a summary of the whole Gospel’. (Origen, De orat., 1). It expresses what we ought to desire and what we ought to avoid.” (cf. Catechism of the Catholic Church, 1969, 2621, 2759-2802, 2857-2865) (The Didache Bible with commentaries based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church, Ignatius Bible Edition, p.1269)

The Hail Mary does not ask for worldly favors…just that Mary prays for us.

There are many worship based prayers and litanies, devotions as well as ejaculations that do not ask for worldly favors…idk what u mean by worldly favors

I think it means we are helpless creatures in the face of God. So to ask favours, like bread, allows us to confirm our complete reliance on our Creator.

Daily bread is not worldy? A girl’s gotta eat.

I see. I read it that prayers
are always prayers of supplication.

I am still confused:)
Op…just in case I did read this right…

Intercessory prayers, such as Hail Mary ask for prayers…not always worldly things.

Then there are affirmation prayers such as Apostles Creed.

Then of course prayers of praise and worship such as Glory Be.

So op, in answer to what type of prayers are for those who just want to pray without asking for worldly things…you will see that there are many…If this was your question…:slight_smile:

From what I heard long ago, I think originally God desired we rely on him for everything we need, including our earthly material needs, but over time, man started to try and achieve all these things for himself, without Gods help.

or maybe it comes down to blind faith, a person can pray all day long for the money to pay their rent the next day, but how many people truly believe God will magically make the money show up in their bank acct? (even though this would be well within Gods abilities to do so).

As Augustine says in his Enchiridion (n. 115), we ask for eternal things in the first three petitions of the Lord’s Prayer and earthly things in the other four petitions.

Act of Faith

O my God, I firmly believe
that you are one God in three divine Persons,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
I believe that your divine Son became man
and died for our sins and that he will come
to judge the living and the dead.
I believe these and all the truths
which the Holy Catholic Church teaches
because you have revealed them
who are eternal truth and wisdom,
who can neither deceive nor be deceived.
In this faith I intend to live and die.
Amen.

Act of Hope

O Lord God,
I hope by your grace for the pardon
of all my sins
and after life here to gain eternal happiness
because you have promised it
who are infinitely powerful, faithful, kind,
and merciful.
In this hope I intend to live and die.
Amen.

Act of Love

O Lord God, I love you above all things
and I love my neighbor for your sake
because you are the highest, infinite and perfect
good, worthy of all my love.
In this love I intend to live and die.
Amen.

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen…

Anima Christi Prayer

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from Christ’s side, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints
and with Thy angels
Forever and ever
Amen

St. Patrick’s Breastplate

I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
of the Creator of creation.

I arise today
Through the strength of Christ’s birth with His baptism,
Through the strength of His crucifixion with His burial,
Through the strength of His resurrection with His ascension,
Through the strength of His descent for the judgment of doom.

I arise today
Through the strength of the love of cherubim,
In the obedience of angels,
In the service of archangels,
In the hope of resurrection to meet with reward,
In the prayers of patriarchs,
In the predictions of prophets,
In the preaching of apostles,
In the faith of confessors,
In the innocence of holy virgins,
In the deeds of righteous men.

I arise today, through
The strength of heaven,
The light of the sun,
The radiance of the moon,
The splendor of fire,
The speed of lightning,
The swiftness of wind,
The depth of the sea,
The stability of the earth,
The firmness of rock.

I arise today, through
God’s strength to pilot me,
God’s might to uphold me,
God’s wisdom to guide me,
God’s eye to look before me,
God’s ear to hear me,
God’s word to speak for me,
God’s hand to guard me,
God’s shield to protect me,
God’s host to save me
From snares of devils,
From temptation of vices,
From everyone who shall wish me ill,
afar and near.

I summon today
All these powers between me and those evils,
Against every cruel and merciless power
that may oppose my body and soul,
Against incantations of false prophets,
Against black laws of pagandom,
Against false laws of heretics,
Against craft of idolatry,
Against spells of witches and smiths and wizards,
Against every knowledge that corrupts man’s body and soul;
Christ to shield me today
Against poison, against burning,
Against drowning, against wounding,
So that there may come to me an abundance of reward.

Christ with me,
Christ before me,
Christ behind me,
Christ in me,
Christ beneath me,
Christ above me,
Christ on my right,
Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down,
Christ when I sit down,
Christ when I arise,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in every eye that sees me,
Christ in every ear that hears me.

[Note that people sometimes pray a shorter version of this prayer just with these 15 lines about Christ above. The conclusion follows below.]

I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through belief in the Threeness,
Through confession of the Oneness
of the Creator of creation.

Oh…Thanks to all.My doubt was whether there are any prayers which do not ask for any worldly favours ( wrongly mentioned as wordly in the OP due to auto fill !) . Almost all the popular prayers contain an element seeking some worldly favours.
As seen in the posts above, there are some prayers which only praise and glorify God and do not seek any earthly favours but they are not popular or expected to be prayed on a daily basis.
May be a simple,daily prayer meant for those who do not want any thing particular in this world and seek only the union with God in heaven ,is to be made by the Church.

Jesus said that we should ask for whatever we need.

So He is not above helping us in daily life, is He?

I feel pretty strongly about this, because I had a friend who said he was uncomfortable asking God for anything, and that he thought he should only pray for other people’s needs. He ended up having a false vision and losing his faith entirely, because he basically stopped praying or talking to God at all.

Saints can get to the point where they really don’t want anything in particular for themselves and just will whatever God wills; but even most saints have to admit to God that they need help all the time. It’s humble to ask Him for stuff.

Hi, Joseie!

I think that you are missing the whole purpose of prayer… there’s not a single form of prayer; yet, every single prayer must include two basic factors: a) the relationship with God, and b) a petition (personal, Body of Christ, world):

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]13 Because I go to the Father: and whatsoever you shall ask the Father in my name, that will I do: that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If you shall ask me any thing in my name, that I will do.

(St. John 14:13-14)
By praying and making petitions in Jesus’ Name we Glory the Father in the Son!

…so, why do you fault Jesus for Teaching His Followers to pray?

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

HI, Joseie!

…I think people have it quite wrong… why do we need to pray: ‘God, thank you; I love you so much, I just want to be with you…?’

…that’s not a prayer.

…or why would I “pray:” ‘oh, Lord, thank you, thank you, thank you…’

I thank God on a daily basis without going into a “prayer mode.”

I ask God for His Providence on a daily basis without engaging in “prayer.”

…as our relationship with God grows we result to prayer (at least in my case) as a matter of intercession or for whatever need arises… yet, because I fully depend on God I ask for His Divine Providence over and over and over daily… and I thank Him over and over and over daily… I don’t wait for a specific “prayer” moment to engage God.

So if we make our lives a prayer (Jesus Commanded: “pray, always.”) there should be no gap or “special moment” to give to God:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]7 For none of us liveth to himself; and no man dieth to himself. 8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; or whether we die, we die unto the Lord. Therefore, whether we live, or whether we die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ died and rose again; that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

(Romans 14:7-9)

23 And you are Christ’s; and Christ is God’s. (1 Corinthians 3:23)
This is the relationship: we belong to God–we are dependent upon God’s Providence.

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

“For me, prayer is a surge of the heart; it is a simple look turned toward heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy.” St. Therese of Lisieux, Doctor of the Church (CCC 2558)

“Prayer is the raising of one’s mind and heart to God or the requesting of good things from God.” St. John Damascene, Doctor of the Church (CCC 2559)

We are taught the good things in the explanation of the petitions of the Lord’s prayer in Part Four of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. This teaching being in the name of Jesus. Prayer is organic to the mystery of faith. “This mystery, then, requires that the faithful believe in it (Part One of the Catechism), that they celebrate it (Part Two of the CCC), and that they live from it (Part Three) in a vital and personal relationship with the living and true God (Part Four).” (CCC 2558)

blog.adw.org/2012/05/a-hidden-mysterious-and-much-debated-word-in-the-our-father/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.