Why not a miracle for all to see?

Throughout all of recorded history, it appears that God has not been averse to performing miracles, I assume at least partly, to strengthen people’s faith. Why do you think God just allows this for the relatively fortunate few?

John chap 11

And when he had said this, he cried out in a loud voice,* “Lazarus, come out!”
The dead man came out, tied hand and foot with burial bands, and his face was wrapped in a cloth. So Jesus said to them, “Untie him and let him go.”
Session of the Sanhedrin.
Now many of the Jews who had come to Mary and seen what he had done began to believe in him.o
But some of them went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done.
So the chief priests and the Pharisees convened the Sanhedrin and said, “What are we going to do? This man is performing many signs.p
If we leave him alone, all will believe in him, and the Romans will come* and take away both our land and our nation.”
q But one of them, Caiaphas, who was high priest that year,* said to them, “You know nothing,
nor do you consider that it is better for you that one man should die instead of the people, so that the whole nation may not perish.”
He did not say this on his own, but since he was high priest for that year, he prophesied that Jesus was going to die for the nation,
and not only for the nation, but also to gather into one the dispersed children of God.*
So from that day on they planned to kill him.

Remove all doubt from men’s minds and some will go to the dark side all the way. They prefer the illicit pleasures of this world and don’t have the patience to wait for the next.
The devil had no need of miracles to believe in God. He rebelled anyways.

There is one that every human being ever has seen–creation. The very fact that everything exists is a miracle and testifies of God. Of course, since it is so common, it’s not seen as miraculous. Miracles stick-out and make an impact because they are extraordinary. If they were ordinary, people would just consider them “natural” and not miraculous, like they have with creation. I don’t know if this is God’s reason, of course, but it’s the one I thought of.

Relatively fortunate few?

Who told you that they are few?

And what makes you think that they are more fortunate than those who never witnessed any extraordinary miracle?

Miracles take place daily for each of us. God dwells in our heart and talks to us as we talk to Him. He makes His divine providence present through our brethren and through so many natural things that we often times underestimate or even rebel against, and so many so-called “coincidences” are in fact the loving kindness of the Father.

As for the great signs of the past, some still take place, but God knows in His wisdom what each of us needs, and what the population of the age needed was different from what the population of this age needs. It’s a “pastoral” issue :wink:

Besides, major miracles take place daily all over the world in the Holy Mass and in the confessional.

I think the implicit assumption in this question is that a miracle in full view of the entire world would be a net good for every individual. I don’t think that’s necessarily the case.

While most miracles are for a few, not all are. Example: The Miracle of the Sun at Fatima.

The Miracle of the Sun (Portuguese: O Milagre do Sol) was an event on Saturday the 13th of October 1917 which was attended by** 30,000 to 100,000** people, who were gathered near Fátima, Portugal. Several newspaper reporters were in attendance and they took testimony from many people who claimed to have witnessed extraordinary solar activity. This recorded testimony was later added to by an Italian Catholic priest and researcher in the 1940s.
According to these reports, the event lasted approximately ten minutes. The three children also reported seeing a panorama of visions, including those of Jesus, Our Lady of Sorrows, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, and of Saint Joseph blessing the people.
The event was officially accepted as a miracle by the Roman Catholic Church on 13 October 1930. On 13 October 1951, the papal legate, Cardinal Tedeschini, told the million people gathered at Fátima that on 30 October, 31 October, 1 November, and 8 November 1950, Pope Pius XII himself witnessed the miracle of the sun from the Vatican gardens.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun

:thumbsup:

In any case, miracles by definitions are exceptions. The universe usually works one way, through secondary causes based in the natures God has given to various creatures. Sometimes God causes exceptions to occur in these natural processes, but from their very identity as exceptions within an orderly universe we can expect that they will not likely be everyday occurrences.

Agree! Also there are millions of.miracles out there that have been for the world to see, but many don’t want to see them. The person who doesn’t believe is always going to find an excuse or way to deny that is a miracle no matter what.

Yes! Exactly!

Why isn’t our very existance enough?

How arrogant of us to demand more.

It is an arrogance born from pride. We presume that we could have done better than God, therefore we can discount the miracles that surround fill us.

As if.

God performs a miracle every day, just find a local Mass and attend. The only reason why a fortunate few see it is because only a few ever show up.

Everything about us is an exception. We should not be here.

Consider the eye. Charles Darwin understood this: “To suppose,” he admitted, “that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances . . . could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree” ( The Origin of Species, 1859, Masterpieces of Science Edition, 1958, p. 146).

Moreover: Jesus said that “the lamp of the body is the eye” (Matthew 6:22).

The human eye possesses 130 million light-sensitive rods and cones that convert light into chemical impulses. These signals travel at a rate of a billion per second to the brain.

Does anyone really not consider that a miracle?

Wonderful that you mentioned the eyes…My dad was going blind in the late 80’s but thanks to faithful people and faithful Prayers we found a good eye surgeon who performed a Pars Plana Vitrectomy one in the summer of 2004 and two follow up surgeries in the winter of 2005.

My family and I have many other Miracles happen to us and I know of many people who’ve had Miracles happen to them.

I (personally) love reading Miracles of Conversion such as:

St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross (Edith Stein)

youtube.com/watch?v=C43GMoGtoSU

Blessed Bartolo Longo:

youtube.com/watch?v=C43GMoGtoSU

Servant of God, Dorothy Day:

catholicworker.org/dorothyday/

However, the real focus has to be and must be on Our Lord Jesus Christ.

It seems that God is adverse to interfering with the free will of his creation. He has given us and to a lesser extent, the plants and animals and even the physical world itself, room to be a part of creation. He has no need to prove his existence in some spectacle. That would essentially force non-believers into knowing him. Instead he is looking for those who seek him.

Seeing is not believing…

Miracles do not cause faith. Faith causes miracles.

**Throughout all of recorded history, it appears that God has not been averse to performing miracles, I assume at least partly, to strengthen people’s faith. Why do you think God just allows this for the relatively fortunate few? **

The miracle of Creation is visible for all to see. It’s a minor miracle for me that some cannot see that.

I agree that creation is a miracle in itself but I don’t think that reply will work with an atheist or help an agnostic with his doubts. I’ve read accounts that after the miracle of the sun, some agnostics and atheists came to believe in God because of what they saw. People who believe in God do not need to see a miracle but for some unbelievers, it is all they need…

For the skeptic or unbeliever no amount of proof is ever enough… for folks who believe, no proof is needed. Even at the miracle of the sun, many did not experience it, and they deny anything happened at all.

Gotta love the self-confidence of those believers who dare to speak for all the unbelievers. :slight_smile: And then they are surprised when they are held in a very low esteem.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.