Why not do sin all your life and confess on your deathbed

This is from the Catechism

Every action of yours, every thought, should be those of one who expects to die before the day is out. Death would have no great terrors for you if you had a quiet
conscience… Then why not keep clear of sin
instead of running away from death? If you aren’t
fit to face death today
, it’s very unlikely you will be tomorrow
…[587]

Praised are you, my Lord, for our sister bodily Death,
from whom no living man can escape.
Woe on those who will die in mortal sin!
Blessed are they who will be found in your most holy
will, for the second death will not harm them.[588]
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_P2I.HTM

Honestly, if someone is thinking about doing this, they are clearly mocking God’s Mercy, not glorifying it. And St Paul warns us " Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life." (Galatians 6:7-8).

It is madness to think we will outsmart God.

1 Like

Yes! :slight_smile: Sin not just stopping with ourselves.We try and help others get to Heaven by being a witness to our faith .
Sin can often beget more sin…we would take the risk of never seeking out God before we died ,our minds changed by sin (if we knew When,but we don’t)

Well, one of my first inclinations is that as mortal beings, we don’t know when we’ll die. We know that we will die, but not when. It could be a slow or expectant death years down the line or it can be sudden or soon. Today’s Gospel included the popular saying involving the thief in the night and the vigilant servants. I feel as if the Gospel is totally relevant to this question.

Another response that I have is that since God is love, choosing to abide in God will lead to a much happier life than if we are apart from Truth. The further we are from God, the unhappier we will become and the harder it will be to love others. So, if we follow what is true and strive to strengthen our relationship with God as soon as we can, I believe that we will be happier and feel like our life has been more fulfilling.

I haven’t read through all the other posts, so this might be a repeat but there is absolutely no guarantee, not one, that you will be able to confess on your deathbed. No one knows the day or the hour of their death.

Our confessions need to be sincere or perfect acts of contrition and if your goal is to sin all your life and then confess, it would more than likely not be sincere and you can’t fool God.

Also, purgatory can be a very long time. From what I understand, even though, while in purgatory we are guaranteed to enter heaven and we are with the Lord, it is not a pleasant place. Some saints have said that the cleansing fires of purgatory are worse than the fires of hell, though not permanent.

I would not want to take a chance on it.

That’s pretty much what the secular leaders of the middle ages did.

1 Like

because sin is also damaging your soul and once you are free from the darkness of sin you dont wanna sin anymore. Sin becomes disgusting and not enjoyable

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.