Why not missalettes for the TLM?

Just like for the NO, easy to follow without the backswitching ???

Produced monthly and then pitch the old ones !!

Who’s going to pay for them?

Disposable missalettes are not used by churches where the Forma Extraordinaria is said because there has been no-one to publish such a thing.

I imagine that disposable-type missalettes would never gain much ground for the TLM. The TLM doesn’t use a three year cycle like the NO, so ultimately it would just be a reprint year after year after year (I know that I’m oversimplifying somewhat) which would really end up rather a waste of paper. It would be nice if there was a hardbound Sunday-only/Holy Days of Obligation Pew Missal with the readings and a Mass translation at a reasonable price for a parish to afford multiple copies. Anyone know of such a thing?

…umm they exist…they have the Common but the liturgy could just be in the parish newsletter…our missalettes are available in the pews but the regular Tridentine Mass lovers tend to obtain a Missal…

magnificat.com/

we could all ask magnificat to print a TLM editions :wink:

Catholig

ah think you are looking for a protestant service pal…page flicking is good for the soul:D :smiley: :smiley:

I think that is why holy cards are so great…they are so useful…except when you drop your missal :stuck_out_tongue:

The churches that have the TLM already have missalettes. They have Latin on one side and the vernacularon the other. They just don’t have all the readings. There is no need at first to purchase a complete Missal of your own.

Back in the early 1950s, when I was in college, the local Catholic Church had little pamphlets in the vestible containing the Mass, including the propers.It only had the Mass for one Sunday, and the next week another one would be available. If I remember correctly (and it’s been a long time) there was a basket next to them, and a three cent donation was requested.

I don’t have the faintest idea who published them, but it was some professional publishing company, not something that the parish put together…

The Catholic Book Publishing Company used to publish a “Continuous Sunday Missal” that had all the prayers and readings for each Sunday and Holy Day all together in one place - no page flipping. The prayers and readings were only in English and it sounds as though there was a card that came with it with all the Latin responses for the congregation. Although this missal is out of print, they are readily available on e-Bay and several other online used booksellers.

Jennifer :slight_smile:

At the chapel I attend we use these little red booklets with the Ordinary of the Mass in Latin and English (as well as various prayers and the format for Confession) put out by the Ecclesia Dei Commission. The bulletin contains the Propers of the Mass in English. Angelus and Baronius Press have each published the full 1962 Daily Missal in recent years, and there are plenty of old St. Joseph and St. Andrew Missals out there, just check ebay.

I’ve never seen a Missalette for the Novus Ordo btw…

At the chapel I attend we use these little red booklets with the Ordinary of the Mass in Latin and English (as well as various prayers and the format for Confession) put out by the Ecclesia Dei Commission. The bulletin contains the Propers of the Mass in English. Angelus and Baronius Press have each published the full 1962 Daily Missal in recent years, and there are plenty of old St. Joseph and St. Andrew Missals out there, just check ebay.

Actually, the red missaletes are not put out by the Ecclesia Dei Commission, but by the Illinois-based Coalition in Support of Ecclesia Dei, which is a lay-run apostolate started after the indult came in 1988.

We live in such a disposable society. Why not get one of those great new high quality leather 1962 daily missals? It is an extremely rich resource with a touch of elegance and historicity that will last for generations.

It is also loaded with prayers and other gems that have largely been lost in the modern church. Disposables in the pew can’t compare to such craftmanship and depth.

Fine craftmanship and artistic qualities in materials of this nature are nearly a lost heritage that needs to be restored to the church along with the prayers.

The Latin-English Booklet Missal published by the Coalition in Support of Ecclesia Dei would seem to be the type of missal people are asking about. It is very reminiscent in structure to the missals we used in local churches before the reformation required their removal.
I would encourage those who are looking for this style missal to check on this one. The Coalition can be found at www.ecclesiadei.org.

“Missalettes” look cheap and tacky.

The missalettes my parish uses for the NO involve flipping anyway.

I would rather see more durable pew missals, perhaps broken down by liturgical season (ie one for Advent and Christmas, one for Lent and Eastertime and one for ordinary time). This would make them easier to handle but not involve the expense of disposables.

That’s a phenomenal idea. Having the daily TLM Mass along with morning and evening prayer in one portable volume. :thumbsup:

I agree. The symbolism is all wrong. We are there for the spoken word, not to read things written down. When furthermore the writing is on throwaway pieces of paper, it creates the impression of a business meeting with handouts.

Well, they’re tacky because they’re cheap and usually ugly. But I don’t subscribe to the current pet obsession of some that we shouldn’t be reading at Mass. Humans are actually (gasp) capable of multi-tasking and reading from a Missal while listening.

Well I haven’t contacted them yet but if you promise to I will too.

Catholig

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.