Why not recieve the Euchrist in a state of mortal sin?

Isn't a state of mortal sin when we need Christ the most?

Because that is also a mortal sin.

Yes, but we need His forgiveness the most when we are in a state of mortal sin. It is a grave sacrilege to receive the Eucharist in a state of mortal sin and it deeply offends God.

When we partake of the Eucharist when in a known state of mortal sin we commit yet another sin. Consider this: "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup" (1 Cor. 11:27–28).

While you are definitely correct in that we need Christ when we are in this state, he provided us a different sacrament so that we may be cleansed of the stain of mortal sin. For this reason we can be thankful that God gave us the Sacrament of Reconciliation!

Boulder257, above, answered the question perfectly.

To counter the question in the title with another question: would you eat from a plate that is dirty? Wouldn't you first want to clean it, before eating from it? Likewise, we must clean our soul before partaking the Body of Christ.

When I was a boy,in parochial school, I had a Jesuit priest in Religion Class, tell us that receiving communion when not in a state of grace is blasphemy. He said it is the same as slapping Christ in the face!. I have never forgotten that.

[quote="The_Scott, post:5, topic:290245"]

To counter the question in the title with another question: would you eat from a plate that is dirty? Wouldn't you first want to clean it, before eating from it? Likewise, we must clean our soul before partaking the Body of Christ.

[/quote]

This is a good way to put it. Makes sense.

What a mortal sin is after all, is directly rejecting God. It's saying "I know this seriously offends you and that you love me but I don't care." and so after rejecting God and his love without reconciling with Him in the ordinary manner set forth by Jesus I ask this question, " why would you want to spend quality time with a loved one if your not on good terms with them? Why would you go on a date with a loved one if they betrayed you? Why would you recieve Jesus into your body after you directly reject him?

Of reception in the state of mortal sin, Saint Paul says 1 Corinthians 11:30 "That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died."

Look at how the KJV puts it: 1 Corinthians 11:29 "For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body."

First, the examination of conscience. Then, absolution. Christ gave us the Sacrament of Penance for precisely this reason.

[quote="George_Stegmeir, post:6, topic:290245"]
When I was a boy,in parochial school, I had a Jesuit priest in Religion Class, tell us that receiving communion when not in a state of grace is blasphemy. He said it is the same as slapping Christ in the face!. I have never forgotten that.

[/quote]

My confessor says it's like throwing Jesus into the sewer. I remember when I had to confess all my sacrilegious communions to him after 10 years, I could hear him wince in pain. :(

[quote="cessnawag, post:1, topic:290245"]

[/quote]

No, that's when we need confession and absolution the most!

[quote="cessnawag, post:1, topic:290245"]

[/quote]

You have to receive the Lord worthily, in a state of desiring him, in a state of friendship, in a state of Grace. Otherwise your pushing condemnation on yourself, just like those who crucified Christ.

[quote="Boulder257, post:4, topic:290245"]
When we partake of the Eucharist when in a known state of mortal sin we commit yet another sin. Consider this: "Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup" (1 Cor. 11:27–28).

While you are definitely correct in that we need Christ when we are in this state, he provided us a different sacrament so that we may be cleansed of the stain of mortal sin. For this reason we can be thankful that God gave us the Sacrament of Reconciliation!

[/quote]

You may want to check with your priest about mortal sin and make sure what you say is a mortal sin, is in fact a mortal sin. It's always good to get guidance from a confessor on any struggles you are having.

There are two kinds of sacraments, those of the dead and those of the living. Those for the (spiritually) dead are baptism and penance which give sanctifying grace. The other five sacraments increase sanctifying grace.

So receiving communion when not in a state of sanctifying grace will not increase sanctifying grace.

[quote="The_Scott, post:5, topic:290245"]

[/quote]

This doesn't make sense. Unless you believe that Christ can be stained by our sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.