Why obey and serve God?

Hello all,

I started another topic here about the truthfullness of the different religions. In this topic I want to explore the question of the title: “Why obey and serve God?”, why is it necessary to do this? What is it’s purpose and end? How can it be justified if God cannot be proven but must accepted on faith?

salival

[quote=salival]“Why obey and serve God?”
[/quote]

This might sound snobbish, or trite, or whatever, but I like the idea just the same…

It’s better to live like there is a God and if you’re wrong you’ve lost nothing. But if you live like there is no God and are wrong you’re in real trouble.

[quote=tkdnick]This might sound snobbish, or trite, or whatever, but I like the idea just the same…

It’s better to live like there is a God and if you’re wrong you’ve lost nothing. But if you live like there is no God and are wrong you’re in real trouble.
[/quote]

That sounds like Pascal Wager. If obedience to God is determined by the quality of our after-life then why not follow Islam which offers you a bunch of virgins in paradise?

salival

[quote=salival]Hello all,

I started another topic here about the truthfullness of the different religions. In this topic I want to explore the question of the title: “Why obey and serve God?”, why is it necessary to do this? What is it’s purpose and end? How can it be justified if God cannot be proven but must accepted on faith?

salival
[/quote]

Here’s the thing. God may not be able to be objectively proven, but most of us who know He exists have had experiences that prove it to us. I mean, somehow all my prayers are being answered.:slight_smile: So why obey Him? God is pure good and pure love. He gives us freewill so that we can also love (you can’t force someone to love, then it isn’t love). God knows what is best for us, so obeying Him is in our best interest. Plus, to rebel against God is to separate ourselves from Him. When we die, if we have chosen to be separated from Him we will be separated eternally. Being completely separated from *all *love and *all *good would be hell–wait, it is Hell. That being said, being in the eternal presence of all good and all love is heaven. So we obey Him because we want love what is good. I don’t think anyone could argue that loving what is good is a bad idea.

Because God is good and our supreme happiness lies in union with Him.l

Edwin

because it’s the right thing to do.

[quote=john doran]because it’s the right thing to do.
[/quote]

And how do you know this?

[quote=Genesis315]Here’s the thing. God may not be able to be objectively proven, but most of us who know He exists have had experiences that prove it to us. I mean, somehow all my prayers are being answered.:slight_smile: So why obey Him? God is pure good and pure love. He gives us freewill so that we can also love (you can’t force someone to love, then it isn’t love). God knows what is best for us, so obeying Him is in our best interest. Plus, to rebel against God is to separate ourselves from Him. When we die, if we have chosen to be separated from Him we will be separated eternally. Being completely separated from *all *love and *all *good would be hell–wait, it is Hell. That being said, being in the eternal presence of all good and all love is heaven. So we obey Him because we want love what is good. I don’t think anyone could argue that loving what is good is a bad idea.
[/quote]

This sounds more like: We have to obey and serve God to avoid being sent to Hell.

salival
[/quote]

Let’s assume someone create you. Are you grateful?

[quote=salival]This sounds more like: We have to obey and serve God to avoid being sent to Hell.
[/quote]

Well, at the end you’re either going to end up either in Heaven or Hell. The choice is being in the presence of total and eternal good and love (God) or being totally and eternally separated from all good and love. No good or love at all would be unimagineably horrible. You asked why serve God? The answer is to be united with Him and all that is love and good, to not be separated from all that is good.

The best reason we have to serve God is love. Why do spouses serve each other? There’s no incentive but love. God loves us more than we can imagine so it follows that we should love Him as well.

Here are some questions for you:
Why should someone not love God?
Why should someone disobey God?

Hello salival,

Our obedience and service to God is love for God. You cannot love God without the option not to love God. There will be no poor to feed in heaven. Nor will their be the possibility to hate God through adultery in heaven. Jesus tells us we store up treasure in heaven through our alms to the poor on earth. It is through free willed obedience to the will of God on earth that one produces the eternal treasure of love for God in heaven.

Please visit www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com which studies man’s capability to love God through free willed obedience to the will of God on earth.
NIV 1JO 5:3

This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome.NIV JOH 14:15

“If you love me, you will obey what I command.”

NAB JOH 15:22

“If I had not come to them and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; now, however, their sin cannot be excused. To hate me is to hate my Father. Had I not performed such works among them as no one has ever done before, they would not be guilty of sin; but as it is, they have seen, and they go on hating me and my Father.

NAB EXO 20:5

“. . . you shall not bow down before them or worship them. For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishment for their fathers’ wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation; but bestowing mercy down to the thousandth generation, on the children of those who love me and keep my commandments.NAB LUK 12:31

"Instead, seek his kingdom, and these other things will be given you besides. Do not be afraid any longer, little flock, for your Father is pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your belongings and give alms. Provide money bags for yourselves that do not wear out, an inexhaustible treasure in heaven that no thief can reach nor moth destroy. For where your treasure is, there also will your heart be."Peace in Christ,

Steven Merten
www.ILOVEYOUGOD.com

[quote=salival]And how do you know this?
[/quote]

the same way that you know to avoid harming other people. or to be kind to others. or to respect your parents. or…

The only reason I could come up with is that a person may decide he does not want the indignity of being subservient to another, even if that other is his creator.

[quote=Maranatha]Let’s assume someone create you. Are you grateful?
[/quote]

My parents created and supported me, I am thankful to them.

Even allowing God into the question, yeah I am grateful but how is the obedience servitude justified on these grounds?

salival

[quote=john doran]the same way that you know to avoid harming other people. or to be kind to others. or to respect your parents. or…
[/quote]

And how do you jump from this into obeying and serving God? One can do all those things without God.

salival

salival
[/quote]

Here’s what some people on this forum believe

forum.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=48405

The Venerable Louis of Granada in his book, The Sinner’s Guide, lists and discusses eleven motives for practicing virtue and serving God.

[list=1]
*]God’s Being in itself, and the excellence of His Perfections
*]Gratitude for our creation
*]Gratitude for our Preservation and for the Government of His Providence
*]Gratitude for the Inestimable Benefit of our Redemption
*]Gratitude for our Justification
*]Gratitude for the Incomprehensible Benefit of Election
*]The Thought of Death, the First of the Four Last Things
*]The Thought of the Last Judgement, the Second of the Four Last Things
*]The Thought of Heaven, the Third of the Four Last Things
*]The Thought of Hell, the Fourth of the Last Four Things
*]The Inestimable Advantages promised it even in this Life
[/list]Then the book goes on to list twelve privileges of virtue:

[list=1]
*]God’s fatherly Care of the Just
*]The Grace with which the Holy Spirit fills Devout Souls
*]The Supernatural Light and Knowledge granted to Virtuous Souls
*]The Consolations with which the Holy Spirit visits the Just
*]The Peace of a Good Conscience
*]The Confidence of the Just
*]The True Liberty of the Just
*]The Peace enjoyed by the Just
*]The Manner in which God hears the Prayers of the Just
*]Assistance with which God sustains the Just in their Afflictions
*]God’s Care for the Temporal Needs of the Just
*]The Happy Death of the Just
[/list]St. Teresa of Avila credited The Sinners Guide with having converted over a million souls in her own time.

The book is available from TAN Books and Publishers, Inc. or from the public library.

[quote=salival]And how do you jump from this into obeying and serving God? One can do all those things without God.
[/quote]

you asked me how i know obeying god is the right thing to do; i answered that i know it’s the right thing to do in the same way you know that being kind to others is the right thing to do: you just know.

what are you asking here? are you wondering how people know there is a god to obey? or are you wondering why, assuming that there is, in fact a god, why one would worship and obey that god?

it would be helpful if you could clarify your assumtptions.

[quote=salival]That sounds like Pascal Wager. If obedience to God is determined by the quality of our after-life then why not follow Islam which offers you a bunch of virgins in paradise?

salival
[/quote]

Because Islam isn’t true. Mohammad didn’t rise from the dead on the third day. My Jesus did. And I serve Him because I love him. I love Him because he gave his life on the cross for my sins.

If God exists and creates us, we have to follow him, why? because is your father!, and Jesus who is person an God, gave the first step to begin our relations wth God, the catholicism is the unique religion where God comes to us, not we come to God, and this is very important. If God exists and create us, and is our father, we have to follow him, because we have to be thankfully, to him. And because we WILL BE THE HAPPIEST.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.