Why only body, not body and blood at some masses?

I have noticed that some masses are celebrated with both body and blood offered to all present, others consecrate blood consumed by the priest, but only body is offered to the masses..

My simplistic reading of john 6:53 and 6:54 demands both body and blood are vital otherwise it says you have "no life in you" and both seem needed to be "raised up at the last day"

So why is mass often celebrated offering only body to parishioners: is this tradition, or is there a scriptural basis to this? I am not seeking to challenge it, it is just my curiosity getting the better of me!

The reason is that whether someone receives the host or the cup he receives Jesus Christ. As the Council of Trent stated:

By reason of the hypostatic union and of the indivisibility of His glorified humanity, Christ is really present and is received whole and entire, body and blood, soul and Divinity, under either species alone; nor, as regards the fruits of the sacrament, is the communicant under one kind deprived of any grace necessary for salvation.

As to why most parishes only distribute under one species is a matter of practicality. To distribute communion under both species requires extra ministers which not every parish has available. The physical layout of the aisles of some parishes is not convenient for distribution of both kinds.

However, no matter how one receives communion he receives the fullness of Christ’s body, blood, soul and divinity and all graces.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.