Why Only the Father Knows: If the Trinity is Equal?

I have always wondered about this one, but never understood it.

The Trinity is One god in 3 Persons, with each person being god, whole and entire. This basically means every part of the Trinity is equivalent to each other.

Why then, does the Bible say “Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”

If each of the Trinity was equal, wouldn’t that mean that each part would know about the day and hour? Why is the Father the only one who knows, if the Trinity is Equal?

Please explain, I’m having a little doubt because of this. Thanks

[quote="kieron123, post:1, topic:298140"]
I have always wondered about this one, but never understood it.

The Trinity is One god in 3 Persons, with each person being god, whole and entire. This basically means every part of the Trinity is equivalent to each other.

Why then, does the Bible say "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

If each of the Trinity was equal, wouldn't that mean that each part would know about the day and hour? Why is the Father the only one who knows, if the Trinity is Equal?

Please explain, I'm having a little doubt because of this. Thanks

[/quote]

While all three together are God, they are three separate and distinct individuals. The Father is not the Son,the Son is Not the Holy Ghost and the Holy Ghost is not the Father. Three distinct individuals,each with their own, for lack of a better word, functions. The Sons function is not that of the Father or the Holy Ghosts,whose function likewise is not the same as theirs, and the Fathers function is different from both.

While all three are equal they are not the same person.Perhaps it is the function of the Father alone to know the day and hour, and to act upon it.

A true mystery of faith.

We are not fully able to understand the mystery of the Trinity, but here are my thoughts. The persons of the Trinity play different roles although they are all divine. I think life in the body almost as a representation of the Trinity and “God.” (Please use caution and discretion with this comparison). The human brain, heart, and lungs are all necessary for life. The brain is the source of thoughts/commands/etc, but other organs, such as heart and lungs, are equally important for sustaining life, since without either, life would end. Remember life is analogous to the entire God in this comparison – so just as life would cease without the heart and lungs, the Father without the Son or Holy Spirit would also cease to be God. I personally would see the Son (since he is the Word made Flesh – speaks/acts/makes visible the unseen thought) as the physical organs responding to the brain’s command, while the Holy Spirit is the communication between the two.

It’s about the destruction of the Temple in 70AD.

Jesus’ words about no one knowing the day or the hour was in the Olivet Discourse (Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21), where he prophecied the destruction of Jerusalem, the destruction of the Temple, the end of Jewish Temple worship and the death of hundreds of thousands of Jews.

He tells the disciples to be sober and alert, so that when the day comes they will not be caught off guard. If God had revealed the exact day and hour when it was to take place, the disciples would have gotten lazy, thinking that they had enough time to escape. They would have gone about their day to day business until the last minute. By then Jerusalem would have already been under siege by the Romans and it would have been too late to escape. Jesus does not want them to wait until it is too late to escape.

In (those) days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day that Noah entered the ark. They did not know until the flood came and carried them all away. So will it be (also) at the coming of the Son of Man. (Matthew 24:38-39)

As it was, all the Christians escaped from Jerusalem prior to it’s destruction, because they stayed sober and awake, looking for the clear signs given to them by Christ in Matthew 24, Mark 13 and Luke 21. They were looking for the signs, and recognized them when they began to appear, and escaped before the siege of Jerusalem started - before it was too late.

-Tim-

Jesus did not (at that time) know in his human nature when the end would come.

I have heard that Jesus said this because He was referring to Himself as just His human form. He was both completely Divine and completely human at the same time, and not half and half, but He didn't always act like He was God. He would humbly act like a normal human being instead of God. That is why He prayed to God, because that comes with being human. But with His Divinity that is how He performed the Transfiguration, because that comes with being God.

The Holy Trinity is all completely equal, in knowledge, power, everything. They are all equal because they all are God. The Holy Trinity is a very complex thing and is actually a mystery so I won't go into it because I might just confuse you.;) But Jesus knows fully well when the Second Coming is going to be, just as the Father and the Holy Spirit do, but He spoke as a human instead of God at that time. I hope I made sense.:blush: Others will correct me if I am wrong.

We had been talking about it in the past days here. Do take a look :)

My reply at the time: link.

They do. But it is because all knowledge has its source from the Father, since the Son is begotten of the Father from all eternity and the Holy Spirit proceeding from both from all eternity. It’s origin is in the Father. Think of a spring going into a river ending up in a sea. All of that having no beginning–just always there. That’s sorta how I think of the Holy and most Blessed Trinity.

Since Jesus emptied himself, had He known the day and hour he would have revealed it! Jesus did not know the day or the hour before the Resurrection in which He was Glorified by the Father. If you read Acts 1:7, Jesus says to the apostles "It is not for you to know the times or seasons that the Father has established by his own authority." Jesus does not deny knowing the day and the hour! This is after the Resurrection in which He is glorified!

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/QATC.gif

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.