Why our God?

I’m not sure this is the right place for this. If not, may someone please move this?

Sometimes, I feel like I’m slipping into Agnosticism. I feel like I am being called to Catholicism, but a question I am having difficulty answering is why I believe that our Christian God is the true God. I would like to think that if there is a God, he would not lead me to some false understanding of Him, but I cannot intellectually reconcile this. So why do you believe in the God of Christianity amongst all others? How do you justify that amongst all of the religions practiced in the history of humanity, that we Christians are the ones who have it right?

Chesterton wrote well in ‘Why I am a Catholic.’ It’s a good read!

There are many reasons for accepting Christianity/Catholicism. Only God can bridge the infinite gap between us and Him. And He has - in the Incarnation.

But we must not think of the Incarnation as a distant event. There is an Incarnation at every Mass (as confirmed by Eucharistic miracles, including the phenomenon of inedia), and a kind of mystical incarnation is being repeated every day in souls. The sanctity, wisdom and other gifts of the Saints (prophecy etc.) is a powerful testament to the truth of the Catholic Faith.

Heres one reason… Jesus Christ, is the only person who was ever pre-announced to come from God… all the others who are believed by others to be God were never prophesied as Jesus was so much that people were waiting His arrival… That tells you that God we believe in is the true authentic God and all the others were made up…This link goes into depth discussing this…

catholictradition.org/Christmas/christ-child3.htm

Our God is love- 1 John 4. Eventually we find out that there’s nothing greater, nothing more positive, nothing more satisfying, nothing else that can bring people together rather than make them our enemies, nothing else that can make life worth the living.

You can’t get this right on your own. You need to obtain help from God Himself in order to get it right.

You need to have Faith. Faith, Hope, and Love.

Read the words of God’s Son. Go read the Gospel of John. Do you believe that God’s Son spoke these words?

A lot of this does depend on whether or not someone will believe and have faith in the Truth, the only real Truth, when they hear it. We need grace to do that, AND we need to cooperate with the grace. We are saved by grace through faith (NOT alone).

Other than that, prophecy. Here:

Isiah 66:8
7"Before she travailed, she brought forth; Before her pain came, she gave birth to a boy. 8"Who has heard such a thing? Who has seen such things? Can a land be born in one day? Can a nation be brought forth all at once? As soon as Zion travailed, she also brought forth her sons. 9"Shall I bring to the point of birth and not give delivery?" says the LORD. “Or shall I who gives delivery shut the womb?” says your God.…

Thousands of years in advance, God told us that Israel would be brought forth in ONE day and BEFORE the birth pains. Israel was brought forth in ONE day in 1947 and BEFORE the war for Israel.

There are plenty of prophecies like this. Over 300 about Christ. Historical records match the prophecies. Prophecies in Daniel too. There are some prophecies about Israel that were just fulfilled recently when they found water. Israel was a desert for a long time (thousands of years) until a prophecy was fulfilled that they would have gardens and vegetation (it was recently fulfilled). That prophecy was thousands of years old.

Watch The Daniel Project (it was free on Hulu). It will give you proof that the Bible comes from someone who knows the future. This is not like Satan’s fake prophecies (IE Nostradaumus). Very different. Study prophecy and you will know.

I love you God please help. In Jesus Name I pray.

Mother I love you please help

I salute you all and I salute all of your Guardian Angels
I love you all (and you Guardian Angels)

Jesus was the ONLY one who lived what He
preached, He loved God so much He trusted
His Death to Him, He loved us so much that
He will risk going to hell by being condemned
and dying on a Cross so that WE can be
God’s righteousness in Him!!

God’s word (gospel) is the power to change. I know i have been changed.

Shalom
Jerry

I don’t know if this will help you any, but the reason I know is that I was a cathlic from day two. And rasied in that tradition, you pick up many, many, ideas about why he is the true God. Also there are many other experiences that God gives to you that convinces you that he is true.

I would be difficult to put all this in one post, in fact impossible. I know and there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever, and there is so much that goes into this, including the graces that make faith grow.

I would say on an exceptional basis, I think our Blessed mother has had a definite influence on me.

Perhaps what you want is some logical step by step proof. This may help some but for others it doesn’t. Like it can be shown from the Old Testament all the prophecies that Christ was the true God who was named as the Messiah. But even so, if a person wished, they could find strong objections to these. So where does that leave us?

Faith … given by God … when a person sincerely opens themselves up to God and asks his help.

I will answer the question with a question.

who or what are better to believe than the teachings of the RCC?

I know better than nothing is not a highly developed or intellectual response, but after reviewing the alternatives it does seem apropos.

I could list facts galore about what makes our understanding of God and His nature reliable but the fact is that people who question the teachings of Jesus and His Church are more interested in destroying faith that in promoting it.

our God offered His life on the cross for our salvation and redemption. our God left heaven and became Incarnate in Jesus of Nazareth and was raised from the dead.

what has some other god done that would lead anyone to worship it in comparison to what our God has done?

To me, it seems reasonable to honor the creator and first principle of all things, on which all other being is contingent, and for whom essence and existence are the same, rather than a created or contingent beings, which is what all false gods are.

But there are multiple religions who recognize this one God. So the question then is which is His true revelation? The testimony of many witnesses to the central event proving Christ’s words, testimony shown in their willingness to lose it all for the truth, testimony that converted the most powerful empire in the world, not by the sword, but by testimony and miracles, is hard to argue against. Take an example from a different religion that acknowledges this God: one man in a cave with no other witnesses claims to get a special revelation correcting the previous, and then spreads his religion by the sword, rather than testimony and miracles, and gets power and prestige. Which is more credible, the former or the latter?

I too struggle with this same type of question from time to time. Some good days, some bad. :slight_smile: I think a lot of the other posters have good input. I tend to follow the same line of thinking when it comes to remaining Catholic.

The one thing that does enter my head though, when I’m thinking too much, is the reality of the fact that I was born into a Catholic\Christian family. Hontestly, we can convinvce ourselves as much as we want to that our God is the one true God for a lot of reasons. However, I can’t help but think the bottom line for 95% of the people out there is they were born into whatever beliefs they have. I realize that if I was born Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist or anything else, that is most likely what my belief’s would be. Thinking otherwise is just kidding yourself; at least in my opinion.

In the end, and after much time spent reading and thinking, I guess I do believe that Christianity, in particular Catholicism, makes the most sense, and that is why I remain Catholic.

Faith is not asking why you believe. Faith doesn’t come because you understand anything. Faith is trust. You begin to trust by deciding to believe. Belief is a choice.

***Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!” *(Mark 9:24)

Choose to believe in spite of the difficulty. This is what is meant by “A leap of faith.” Choose to trust that God will do exactly as he has promised - raise you from the dead if you endure to the end. God will do the rest, and you will have peace, and you will understand. Understanding comes last.

peace > understanding

-Tim-

Why?

Because God revealed himself.

Why?

Because Jesus of Nazareth was crucified …

and did not remain in the tomb.

But he rose from the dead! And more than that - he rose with a Glorified Body - entering locked rooms…etc…

And in him is* true life*~!

And why the Church?

Because *he *formed and founded the Church and sent the Church out to make disciples of all the nations and teach in his name…

In the Church we encounter him…in the Sacraments we receive that true life.

Well, there is only one God no matter who worships him in whatever ways human beings do that. The Church recognizes this–that God works in all human beings, not just in those whose theology is correct:

“Outside the Church there is no salvation”

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers?335 Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:
Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.336

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.337
848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."338

When Jesus died on the cross he redeemed all mankind, which is why the Gospel was preached not just to the Jews, but also to the Gentiles–most of us here, as it happens. That redemption poured God’s grace upon the whole world, making salvation possible for everyone who avails himself of that grace.

For those of us who know of Christ, his Gospel, and the Church he established, we are to trust in the veracity of Jesus’ claims to be the Son of God, in his establishment of his Church in which and through which we have the assurance of salvation if we cooperate with the graces God gives us in and through his Church. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.