Why peter and not Paul as Pope?

I was talking to the Gentleman at barnes and noble and we were having a freindly canversation over faith and he asked me, “Your catholic, maybe you can tell me. Why did Jesus chose an uneducated fisherman like Peter and not someone who had an education like Paul who would have been better at making Doctrinal judgments and the such?” I told him that I didn’t know and that I would ask. In the off chance that I see this dear gentleman again, What would I say?

Perhaps because Paul was busy persecuting the Church at the time it was first established, and so would hardly have been a papal candidate.

Besides, he was not one of the original twelve apostles, one of whom–Peter–was commissioned by Jesus to be the Rock on which the Church was to be founded.

Paul came along relatively later; having never known Jesus in his lifetime. But Jesus did appear to him (after the Church was already in existence). Eventually he became the apostle to the Gentiles.

Well there are several things that could be the reason…but the true answer is: Because Jesus is God and He did choose Peter so I suppose you can ask Him if you see Him some day.

Also:

1. Jesus can see into the hearts of men–and must have seen Peter as having that something special for the Job–Paul, also, wasn’t one of the 12–never knew Jesus personally.

2. Different talents associated with different jobs-Paul was educated–wonderfully suited for writing (which, if you haven’t noticed, he did a lot of) and evangilizing.

3. Peter, a fisherman, was most likley down to earth and someone who could inspire followership because people could relate to him while respecting the special office given to him by Jesus.

If your friend thinks Paul should have been the first Pope, tell him to file a grievence with St. Peter at the pearly gates :stuck_out_tongue:

Why did Jesus not choose St. Augustine to be pope, or St. Thomas Aquinas, or St. Francis Assisi?

I suppose He knows what He’s doing.

Even if Paul were one of the original disciples, I think Jesus would have still picked Peter.

Peter was a fisherman and Paul was a Tentmaker…:slight_smile:

[quote=casper1949]Peter was a fisherman and Paul was a Tentmaker…:slight_smile:
[/quote]

But really as another poster stated Paul was busy killing the church while Peter was ready to begin that mission. I have often wondered but in looking at the life of both. Peter was into rules Paul was into making Christians once converted.

I think the gentleman i was talking to was asking me was why not someone with a high intellect (like paul who had an education unlike Peter)

it seems to me that if one wants a cooler full of Fish he would hire a fisherman and then Hire a cooler maker for the fish with it boundaries a depth width and Height. In other words Grace builds on the natural or perfects it…Peter realized that Gaining people for the Kingdom of God was something Like fishing that one must cast there net in the proper places at proper times…At times one must cast it gently and at other times Bold…And to I might Add It will be Peter in the end who will bring the net to shore full of different kinds of Fish… Paul being a Tentmaker understood the material it to be made of, the Size and the boundaries by which number of people it can Hold…How to keep it up in strong winds and rains…All these natural Talents that Peter and Paul Had was Spiritualized in them by which the HS use to teach them about Divine things…:slight_smile: I hope this make s some sense at the way I see it…Pax et Bonum

This is in response to #2. Paul was an apostle to the gentiles, but we must remember that Peter filled this position as well. In Acts 15, we see Peter say:

7After much discussion, Peter got up and addressed them: "Brothers, you know that some time ago God made a choice among you that the Gentiles might hear from my lips the message of the gospel and believe.

Just something I think we should keep in mind… :slight_smile:

Assuming that it’s not Paul specifically, but, rather just somebody with an education…

You actually just answered the question yourself. Jesus chose Peter BECAUSE he was a cowardly, bumbling, weiner Fisherman. He denied Jesus 3 times, cut off the guard’s ear, ran away, and yet, BECAUSE of the power of the Holy Spirit, still ran the Church effectively. Think about it. If Jesus chose somebody VERY competant, people could easily say, “Well, yeah, the Church was successful, they had a businessman running it!!” But, such is not the case. Jesus chose an average Joe-schmo (below average, actually), who was pretty much last, to be first…hmmmm… Now, if this isn’t proof that the Holy Spirit is really in charge of the Church & nothing shall prevail against it, I don’t know what is. It’s all about what the Power of God can do.

[quote=adstrinity]Assuming that it’s not Paul specifically, but, rather just somebody with an education…

You actually just answered the question yourself. Jesus chose Peter BECAUSE he was a cowardly, bumbling, weiner Fisherman. He denied Jesus 3 times, cut off the guard’s ear, ran away, and yet, BECAUSE of the power of the Holy Spirit, still ran the Church effectively. Think about it. If Jesus chose somebody VERY competant, people could easily say, “Well, yeah, the Church was successful, they had a businessman running it!!” But, such is not the case. Jesus chose an average Joe-schmo (below average, actually), who was pretty much last, to be first…hmmmm… Now, if this isn’t proof that the Holy Spirit is really in charge of the Church & nothing shall prevail against it, I don’t know what is. It’s all about what the Power of God can do.
[/quote]

Those are good points. Also:

[quote=Luke 10:21]At that very moment he rejoiced (in) the holy Spirit and said, "I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will.
[/quote]

Peter was foolish with love. He had passion. He was the opposite of indifferent, and acted immediately, with no delay, sometimes earning a correction from Jesus. He had a great deal of Love for Christ, even though in his weakness, he denied Christ – and by the resulting shame he again showed his passion for his Lord.

Alan

Is this point about the learned man being better not slightly absurd.

why were the (unlearned) shepards the first to recognise the sign and visit the baby jesus , before the wise(intelligent) men?

Its the Holy spirit that provides the guarentee of true teaching, a good education will not secure against doctrinal error! look at people like Fr. Hans Kung! smart intelligent, … but wrong on certain issues.

1. Peter had faith. When asked by Jesus, Who am I? Peter said You are our Lord God.

2. Paul was not on the scene at the time.

3. We are not always privy to why Jesus chooses whom He will. But Faith requires not book learning or riches or position in the world. Faith stands on it’s own and Peter had it in spades.

man’s thought’s are not God’s thought’s… i think???

seriously, this is one of those “God knows best” questions, and we will just have to accept on faith the decision…

peace:thumbsup:

[quote=space ghost]man’s thought’s are not God’s thought’s… i think???

seriously, this is one of those “God knows best” questions, and we will just have to accept on faith the decision…

peace:thumbsup:
[/quote]

Is that anything like:

“Why ask why?”

I have nothing to contribute to this, but G.K. Chesterton probably does:

WHEN Christ at a symbolic moment was establishing His great society, He chose for its corner-stone neither the brilliant Paul nor the mystic John, but a shuffler, a snob, a coward – in a word, a man. And upon this rock He has built His Church, and the gates of Hell have not prevailed against it. All the empires and the kingdoms have failed because of this inherent and continual weakness, that they were founded by strong men and upon strong men. But this one thing – the historic Christian Church – was founded upon a weak man, and for that reason it is indestructible. For no chain is stronger than its weakest link. ‘Heretics.’

Read about how God chose King Saul or King David. It had nothing to do with education or wisdom- it was a heart issue. :slight_smile:

Why Peter and not Paul? 1. Because God knows what He’s doing. and 2. Probably because He had been preparing Peter for it.

IMHO, a better question would be why Peter and not John? But I’m writing that one in my notebook to ask God when I can. :slight_smile:

closed #18

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.