Why pray hail Mary at death?

Hi the above question an dI was wondering why when people are dying pray the hail Mary and not directly to god or the devine mercy prayer or act or contrition becuase it seems to the the hail Mary is the first thing they say and not the others if they I dunno we’re injured or on a death bed or somthing is te hail Mary more powerful or what ?

Thanks chuck

I don’t know that the Hail Mary is the only prayer recommended at the time of death.

I think that often we are urged to say memorized prayers at the time of death because we may not have the strength or faculties to do more. For cradle Catholics, the Hail Mary is often one of the first prayers learned.

And don’t forget the line, “Holy Mary, mother of God, prayer for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.”

[quote="SMHW, post:2, topic:292885"]
I don't know that the Hail Mary is the only prayer recommended at the time of death.

I think that often we are urged to say memorized prayers at the time of death because we may not have the strength or faculties to do more. For cradle Catholics, the Hail Mary is often one of the first prayers learned.

And don't forget the line, "Holy Mary, mother of God, prayer for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death."

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

It is right and just to give him thanks and praise.

I don’t know how many people you have been around when they were dying but I have never heard one saying the Hail Mary at the very end. More common, in my own experience, has been Psalm 23 or the Divine Mercy refrain.

However, if a person is in pain or distress, the Hail Mary prayer is often what comes to mind and is the easiest to cling to. It is often the first prayer a child ever learns (after the sign of the cross).

But why not directly to god ? , does the hail Mary give u some kind of advantage or somthing ?

I believe Our Blessed Mother to be the greatest intercessor in Heaven, if we want to get there to thank her we may want to start praying for her intercession… NOW and at the hour of our death :slight_smile:

God's math is a blessing of abundance. Praying to Mary does not subtract from praying to God. Having a perfect mother teaches us to love better and makes our prayers more precious to God. She is our advocate and intercessor; she loves us and adds her love to her Son's love. We do not transform the heart of God; He transforms our hearts and He uses angels saints and most especially of his created creatures His mother to help us love deeper and grow closer to Him, who is the Way, the Truth, and the Life.

All heaven is available to our prayers to plead our love to Him and with Him.

[quote="Chuck1, post:5, topic:292885"]
But why not directly to god ? , does the hail Mary give u some kind of advantage or somthing ?

[/quote]

A dear friend of mine died recently, and his last words were "Jesus I trust in You."

He always had a strong devotion to the Blessed Mother all his life, as Mary knew Jesus best and intercedes for us, and leads us to Him.

[quote="Chuck1, post:5, topic:292885"]

[/quote]

Chuck, it's not that the Hail Mary prayer is better than praying directly to the Father or to Jesus. It's more that people who are dying often need to pray something that is memorized and even instinctive. For many Catholics that prayer is the Hail Mary because so many Catholics know that prayer better than any other. (Catholics recognize Mary as OUR mother and we crave the comfort of a mother in times of crisis.) For other Catholics/Christians it might be the Divine Mercy prayer, the Act of Contrition, the Lord's Prayer, the 23rd Psalm, some other Bible verse, or any other memorized prayer.

There is no reason why a dying person shouldn't pray pray in his own words. But a dying person may not have the strength/energy to formulate such a prayer. Rote prayer can be a source of comfort and strength to the dying.

Hopefully these people are prepared to die. I mean that they are ill and have had a priest come to them to give them the last rites - confession, anointing of the sick, and viaticum.

If, however, dying comes upon them suddenly, such as in an accident, the first thing they should be thinking of to say is “Jesus, have mercy on me a sinner,” or some other act of contrition. I would probably say the Hail Mary after that (if I had the chance), asking her to pray for me. After all, she is the Queen Mother and has great influence with her Son!

If you're on your death-bed and you're not right with God, then it's highly appropriate to get God's mother to put in a good word for you. The Lord is partial to his mother, and rightfully so...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.