Why pray to anyone but Jesus?

We know from scripture that no one comes to the Father but through Jesus. Jesus is the source of all things from the Father. Why pray to the Saints or Mary? I don’t understand I don’t believe there is a score board that counts the number of prayer said for you. Why do we need the influnce of the saints praying for us. Has God granted them the power to answer prayers in His stead? The Scripture tells us that the hairs on our head are counted. God knows when a sparrow falls from the sky. Aren’t my prayers in Jesus name enough?

Hi,

Certainly, there is nothing stopping us from praying to God directly. But He has asked us to pray for each other. So, we ask prayers of each other–including the saints. (Rom 15:30; Col 4:3; Thess 5:25; 2TH 1:11; 2Th 3:1; Eph 6:18-19; Tob 12:12. Rev 5:8)

God is a community of loving Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. In making us in His image, He designed us to imitate His love in a communal way and not as totally independent of each other.

Jesus, Himself, demonstrated this to us. He could have performed His first public miracle all by Himself. But He let His mother intercede with Him for the bride and groom who had run out of wine at their wedding celebration. This way, not only did He perform an act of charity, but His mother did as well. When St. Peter’s mother in law was ill, He could have taken the matter into His own hands immediately, but allowed several of His disciples to intercede with Him for the woman—thereby allowing them to make an act of charity as well.

It’s all about increasing the love between His creatures. We were designed for it, you know. It may not seem as efficient to some, but love isn’t about efficiency. Praying for each other is an act of charity. The more people involved in an act of love, the more love there is.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.