Why put the blame of sin on Eve and not Adam?

Why put the blame of sin on Eve and not Adam?

According to the Bible:

16 The LORD God gave man this order: “You are free to eat from any of the trees of the garden
17 except the tree of knowledge of good and bad. From that tree you shall not eat; the moment you eat from it you are surely doomed to die.” —Genesis 2:17-18

But did Adam die after this incident?

And at another place the Bible tells:

15 Then the angel of the LORD said to Elijah, "Go down with him; you need not be afraid of him."
16 So Elijah left and went down with him and stated to the king: "Thus says the LORD: ‘Because you sent messengers to inquire of Baalzebub, the god of Ekron, you shall not leave the bed upon which you lie; instead you shall die.’"
17 Ahaziah died in fulfillment of the prophecy of the LORD spoken by Elijah. Since he had no son, his brother Joram succeeded him as king, in the second year of Jehoram, son of Jehoshaphat, king of Judah.

So when God told that Ahaziah (who did evil in the sight of God) : “you shall die”, he died.

But nowhere in the Bible do we find that Eve was ordered not to eat from the tree. It was only Adam, who was ordered not to eat from it before Eve was created from his rib.

So why put the blame on Eve and that she’s the one that caused Adam to sin.

13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
14 Further, Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and transgressed. ----1 Timothy 2:13-14

‘Doomed’ means that Adam’s fate is sealed the minute he eats the apple, much as someone who is convicted of murder may be sentenced to the death penalty, even if the penalty isn’t carried out immediately, or may not be carried out for some years even. Adam wasn’t meant to die EVER, but he did - although it was years later. That was his punishment for eating the apple.

We don’t blame Eve exclusively or more than Adam. After all, St Paul says in Romans Chapter 5 that ‘sin and death came into the world through one MAN’, that man being Adam.

Where do you get these crazy ideas about Christianity?

Right on.
Adam stood by and watched as Eve ate the apple. What kind of Husband stands by and lets his wife be bamboozled by a serpent!

veritus lux mea

Augie sure got himself suspended pretty fast there. Hope nobody blinked and missed it. :rolleyes:

I don’t know any orthodox writer who places the blame for the fall entirely on Eve and absolves Adam, so what is your point, op?

Who said it was only Eve’s fault? Adam was the head of the family it was his responsibility. It was as much his blame, if not more, than Eve’s and it has always been taught so. Both lost their special relationship with God and their souls were dead in sin. Original sin.

You must have heard the old joke, Adam blamed Eve, Eve blamed the serpent and the serpent didn’t have a leg to stand on :frowning:

I’ve had this little theoretical issue floating around my head for years (I know…weird):

What if Adam had not eaten the apple. Could they have been reconciled to God? My guess is that yes they could have been. I base this on the teachings on marriage between Jesus and the Bride. Jesus sacrificed himself to redeem his Bride so their is a deep spiritual connection that allows this. Jesus did this to present the Bride, spotless and pure to himself. I’m not sure I can express this well. Also since this is entirely a guess it really doesn’t mean much other than it’s sad that if could have (possibly) been avoided. Does anyone else have a thoughts?

Why blame any of the three?

Ask yourself this question.

Why did God place the Tree in the Garden in the first place?

If GOD knows all and the future. Then “why did he put the tree there” is a great question. Only GOD knows?

Why do parents put the cookie jar on the countertop and then tell the kids not to eat from it? Perhaps after being tested and passing the test, it was God’s plan all along to let Adam and Eve eat from all the trees in the garden, including the Tree of Knowledge and the Tree of Life. But it doesn’t matter what we speculate, we are still being called by God to trust Him.

That is my logical deduction as well.

In my Max Lucado inspirational Study Bible, I love the “inspiration” they put on this. An angel asks God why he puts it there. God shows all of history, and in it, although there is great evil, there is also great love.

The love cannot be there without the choice.

God bless,
Maria

In Paul’s letters Adam is consistently presented as the one who, by his sin, let death into the world, not Eve.

Afterall, we don’t talk about putting the “old eve” to death in Baptism.

Genesis 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

Oh I think our friend freedomm/justice 2006/st augustine will be back in another reincarnation soon enough ex.

ohhh very good way to put it!! :clapping:

Who’s love would be more important your furby or your kid? Why the kid? Because the kid could have chosen not to love you. If it can’t choose, Is it really Love?

:smiley:

Exactly!

I just wish Max Lucado would become Catholic. I would love to see the “inspiration” he would write on the Real Presence.

God Bless,
Maria

Actually, in Paradise Lost, by noted polygamist and Cromwell apologist John Milton, Adam eats the apple in order to keep Eve company in sin. Puritanism is, like most fundamentally Manichaean faiths, misogynistic.

There’s something somewhere in Chesterton about how the Catholic Church had two statues of humanity’s Mothers, Eve and Mary, by whom the world fell and by whom it was saved. Then the Protestants knocked down the statue of Mary the Sinless and kept only Eve the Sinner.

Says it all, doesn’t he? God, if I could write like that…

I don’t think there is anything to indicate that Adam was immortal prior to eating the apple. If so, why have a tree of immortality in the Garden as well?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.