Why remove the Prayer to St Michael?

I know the Prayer to St Michael was removed from the mass’s many years ago, but why?

I remember it being said at the end of mass, and I"ve read the thinking from Pope Leo XIII who instituted the prayer world wide.

I’m just seeing anywhere why it was removed?

You mean why were the Leonine prayers after low masses removed? I would say to shorten the length of the mass. It is the same reason why Bugnini removed so many “unnecessary” or “repetitive” things when creating the more Protestant-friendly New Order of the Mass.

Dunno, but I wish they’d bring it back. One former pastor of my parish had us all praying it after the weekday Masses. Seems like I heard anything like that has to have the permission of the bishop? :confused:To make it public devotion, I mean. No reason why a person can’t remain kneeling and pray it – which I do sometimes but it’s harder when everyone is getting up and leaving the pews, including the people you go to mass with. I want to say – hey, come on back & pray! LOL:signofcross:

I think it technically happened after the mass, so in that sense it was not actually removed from the mass.

From everything I have read, it was post-Mass devotion. It wasn’t removed. It just fell into disuse.

It was removed (in 1964, Inter Oecumenici) insofar as these prayers, though after Mass, were prescribed.

As to why, prayers after Mass for a particular need are not always the most ideal form. The reason being that the Mass itself is the highest form of prayer and thus to follow it with post-Mass public prayers overshadows this idea. This principle was tacitly recognized in the idea that the Leonine Prayers were never said after a Solemn High Mass, or a Parochial Mass, or a Pontifical Mass, but after (as it was known then) a “private” Mass. The idea being that since the Mass was “private”, certain private devotions could be annexed to it. The 1964 decree merely extended this principle to all Masses, and recommended instead that petitions be said in the newly-inserted Prayers of the Faithful/General Intercessions.

It definatly happened after the priest said “The Mass has ended go in peace”. But then no-one leaves till the Priest does anyway right? And it was part of a tradition for almost 70-years.

Pope Leo XIII added it in 1886 to the Leonine Prayers, which he had directed to be said after Low Mass two years earlier. The practice of reciting these prayers after Mass was suppressed in 1964. However,

Pope John Paul II referred to the St Michael prayer in his Regina Coeli address of 24 April 1994 as follows:

“May prayer strengthen us for the spiritual battle that the Letter to the Ephesians speaks of: ‘Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might’ (Ephesians 6:10). The Book of Revelation refers to this same battle, recalling before our eyes the image of St Michael the Archangel (cf. Revelation 12:7). Pope Leo XIII certainly had this picture in mind when, at the end of the last century, he brought in, throughout the Church, a special prayer to St Michael: ‘Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil…’ Although this prayer is no longer recited at the end of Mass, I ask everyone not to forget it and to recite it to obtain help in the battle against the forces of darkness and against the spirit of this world.”[3]

Anyway while I see much info, I don’t see the reason why its was removed. Interesting that Pope John Paul II mentions it here though.

No Biggie, I thought someone would know for sure. :slight_smile:

OK here it is, I crossed you, this makes perfect sense.:thumbsup:

I’m impressed with the knowledge about this – you guys have done your homework!:thumbsup:

The prayer should definitely be prayed often by Catholics, given the state our world is in – if not connected to Mass, then at other times. I also pray it during times of personal spiritual warfare and I can say it helps there too.:knight2::angel1:

I say it after I finish the rosary.

And thats exactly what I do, great minds think alike :smiley:

The Prayer to St. Michael is not an official part of the Eucharistic liturgy.
I think AJV has given the best answer so far.
Many parishes recite the rosary before daily Mass. In my home parish, this recitation of the rosary is followed by the Angelus (It is a noon Mass) and the prayer to St. Michael.
In my home diocese, it also prayed during Charismatic prayer meetings. Many people I know include the prayer to St. Michael as part of their daily devotions.
It was during a Charismatic Conference many years ago that I learned of the dream that Pope Leo had that led to the Prayer for St. Michael’s protection.

Satan: Given enough time I will destroy your kingdom.
God: How long do you need?
Satan: 100 years
God: You have it.

Guess what? Time is up. God’s kingdom stands.

Great mind. Jeepers that is the first time I have been told that.:D:D:D

Heres a bit of info you concerning that 100 year period which Pope Benedict spoke on this year. May 13th 2010 he ended his Homily with this. You could Google and read the entire content. I suppose his thinking is the 100 years began at fatima?

“May the seven years which separate us from the centenary of the apparitions hasten the fulfilment of the prophecy of the triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, to the glory of the Most Holy Trinity.”

October 13, 1884 - Pope Leo XIII

On October 13, 1884, Pope Leo XIII was completing mass and as he walked away from the altar, he collapsed. When he awoke, he shared a vision. (The vision that Pope Leo XIII had became a reality 33 years to the day. It is known as the sun dancing in the heavens at Fatima in France.)

The actual vision that Pope Leo XIII had is as follows:

“I heard a noise in front of the Tabernacle. It was a confrontation between Jesus and Satan. Satan told Jesus if given time and power enough, he would destroy the church. Jesus asked in return, ‘How much time and how much power?’ Satan’s reply was one century and more influence over those who would follow him.” Pope Leo XIII said he heard Jesus say “So be it.” The 20th century was given to Satan as a time of testing. Pope Leo XIII was shaken by his experience and in response wrote the Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel, he gave the 20th Century to the Holy Spirit, and he wrote 13 encycles on the Rosary saying “The Rosary is the weapon that will defeat Satan.”

Whats true and not true is left for the imagination. Though Pope Benedict certainly seemed to be talking about this 100 years to end 2017 given to the Holy Spirit by Pope Leo XIII, who also added the Prayer to St Michael, matter of fact he wrote it.

I’m just not sure how its arrived that his vision is indeed fatima? Yet this is from the Catholic Church and was in the weekly missle/message a few months back. Rarely do I keep the weekly message. This one stuck with me though.

So much you hear and so little is explained. So yes I pray both the Rosary and the Prayer to St Michael. And in this sense this forum is indeed a Blessing.

It must have been 1984 then when I first heard the story. It was the 100th anniversary of Pope Leo’s vision. The emphasis of the talk was the importance of continuing to pray for protection against Satan and “the evil spirits who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.”
I have never heard this vision being connected to Fatima or that the sun dancing in the sky was anything other than that.
We need to always remember that “He who dwells in us is stronger than he who is in the world.”

You may remain after Mass and say as many prayers as you wish! It used to be common practice.

What is important is that the prayers outside the Mass are recited after the Dismissal and that they are not confused with the Mass itself.
Many parishes, for instance, will have Benediction and Adoration after Mass on 1st Friday.
My stateside parish has a novena including rosary on Saturdays, after the Vigil Mass.
Here the rosary and litany of the Blessed Virgin Mary are recited daily prior to every Mass.
The Novena to St. Anthony is prayed every Tuesday evening after Mass.
There are 2 evening Masses on Wednesday. The novena to Our Lady of Perpetual Help is prayed after both.
As the Month of the Rosary concludes, all are invited to participate in the Living Rosary to take place in the courtyard immediately after Mass.

When I first arrived here, both the Prayer of St. Francis and the Prayer for the Family were prayed after Mass. Now the Prayer for the Family is prayed after the rosary, before Mass. The Prayer of St. Francis is not prayed as a community. Again, these moves were made to prevent confusion regarding which prayers are and are not a legitimate part of the Mass itself.

I’m so glad I found this thread. As coincidence would have it, my parish (in particular some of the lay people in my parish) are pushing to bring back the St. Michael Prayer after Mass. (on Sunday, and at daily Mass) I had no idea that it was not considered liturgically correct to do this…well until this morning;

I approached one of our Priests before Mass and asked if I could lead the prayer to St. Michael with one Hail Mary at the appropriate time. (after the final hymn) He told me no as it was not considered liturgically correct, they felt as if it took something away from the Mass, which is of course our highest form of prayer. He then said to take it up with the Pastor, but he would rather not do that. He was so sweet about it though, as he said how he loves that prayer it is so beautiful! (I smile as I remember the people standing around who were looking at me as if to say…"oh no!, what? why??) Of course, I responded to Fr. “Of course, I understand”. One of the EM’s approached me later and said she didn’t understand, as it would not be part of the Mass at all…but then we both agreed that I would talk it over with our Pastor who, from what I understand from others that meet with him more often, has been agreeable and positive about it.

Then, as I was talking this over with the Lord, and telling him my disappointment. (still had a few minutes before Mass started) I got the idea that it might be more appropriate and not an abuse at all if we were to say it as a group when we make the announcements before Mass. But then again maybe it shouldn’t surround the Mass at all? I mean, after all, some parishes pray the rosary before Mass. (we used to, but our former Pastor put the kibosh on that, as he thought it distracted other people who wanted to talk to the Lord about other things)

Any thoughts or words of wisdom about*** before Mass*** prayers??

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.:slight_smile: So confusing…:shrug:

I like the rosary recited as a community before Mass. As mentioned where I am currently, the Litany to the Blessed Virgin Mary follows and is considered a natural part of the rosary. At my hometown stateside parish, the rosary is recited prior to daily Mass, followed by the Angelus and Prayer to Saint Michael.
There are a few points I need to make about these practices. The daily Mass for my stateside parish is at 12:15pm. There is no Thursday Mass. The rosary is timed so that the Angelus is said at the traditional noon time. This means there are still a few minutes before Mass begins. This allows for individual meditation/contemplation before Mass actually starts.
Both my stateside parish and my overseas parish offer Confession before daily Mass. My overseas parish offers the Sacrament of Reconciliation 1/2 hour before every Mass, daily and obligation. My stateside parish has only one priest. Confession is offered from 11:30 to 12:00, leaving him 15 minutes to prepare for the Eucharistic celebration.
Time can definitely be an issue. Many stateside parishes allow an hour and a half between Masses. Here thirteen Masses are offered over the weekend in 8 different languages. I attend Saturday evening Mass at 6:30pm. The Mass in Konkani is offered immediately at 7:30pm so that the church can lock its gates at 9pm. Every Mass is packed to overflowing.

I have been on retreats where the morning prayer from the LOTH flowed into the Mass. It is a common practice that my spiritual director frowned on. The LOTH honors time while Mass is celebrated outside of time.

Just not publically as a congregation, the way I am understanding it. I do know that the Blessed Mother in one of her approved messages complained that people were rushing out of Mass and not spending any time in prayer with Jesus that they had just received.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.