Why repealing blasphemy laws might help promote religious freedom

(RNS) “God is a lie.”

In some countries, uttering, scribbling or texting that statement will get you thrown in jail, beaten with a rod or possibly killed. The “crime” is blasphemy and Wednesday (Sept. 30) is “International Blasphemy Rights Day,” set aside by human rights activists to highlight the blasphemy laws on the books in 22 percent of the world’s nations, according to the Pew Research Center.
Among those countries frequently cited by human rights groups with the most aggressive laws banning free expression are China, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

“Freedom of conscience is a fundamental right, and it must be valued, protected and advanced everywhere in the world,” says Michael De Dora, director of the Center for Inquiry’s Office of Public Policy — the organization behind Blasphemy Rights Day — and the center’s representative to the United Nations. The Center for Inquiry is a humanistic and First Amendment watchdog group based in Buffalo, N.Y.

religionnews.com/2015/09/29/repealing-blasphemy-laws-might-help-promote-religious-freedom-analysis/?utm_content=buffera26d4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

You’re on a roll Son of Niall, and I’m right behind.

I don’t think any law should exist re expressing an opinion.

There must be some kind of way, however, to put pressure on the secular world to have some respect for christianity.

I’m thinking of all the times I hear “J.C.” uttered in a movie as a curse or expletive. I think I’ve said this elsewhere on these threads and, I must say, it is rather insulting to all of us christians as a group.

Fran

It particularly drives me crazy that they do this, and are up on their high horses because they don’t use four-letter words.

Right. We could boycott movies such as these but we’re not very organized in this way.

Especially in view of the fact that 85% (I think it’s closer to 70 now) of the population claims to be christian.

I said “claims”. Don’t we wish?

Fran

Oh, that would be nice :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.