Why Respectfully toward Protestants and Rude to Mean toward Mormons

I understand Catholicism’s focus on smoothing over its views with Protestants makes sense to me in light of the past.

Yet, when my church’s missionaries come knocking on the door, as suppose I understand why Catholics are not interested – being rude to them is unnecessary.

Those of you who know Mormons your focus in getting us to leave our church and going through RCIA or in my case, just come back to the church, after I go to confession, is useless.

Why do you try? Those who have weak knowledge about my church are going to come to you or whatever church they will or no church at all. Trying to convince me about Catholicism are a waste of time.

Speaking for myself, I do not care if its a book, tract, the forums here, etc will never convince me that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is anything other than what I know it is.

Respect my church regardless of my differences regarding Catholicism that will never go away and there are things that Catholicism does is a good thing, for example is your work in support of the poor.

Fact is we don’t want you in the Catholic Church. You have posted many lies about yourself, in one claiming to be a Catholic, in another claiming to be a Protestant. You also started a thread with the title that says Vatican II says that the Catholic Church is not the true church. You lied about that too as you could not post the statement from Vatican II.

You can stay in the LDS sir, we don’t want you and you have no worry about someone trying to convert you.

You are even a disgrace to the LDS.

So what you are saying is, it is OK for your missionaries to try and convert us, but it isn’t OK for us to try and convert you? Seems a little one sided doesn’t it?

Missionaries knocking on your door are like telemarketers. They don’t take no for an answer, and they always come when you’re tied up with something else…like family dinner. .

If any church’s missionaries (mormon or not) show up on my door step trying to convert me, you can rest assured I will try to convert them right back. also, if your idea of being rude is being firm and telling them you aren’t interested, then fine, I’m rude.

If nothing is going to convince you to come back to the Catholic Church, why are you here? It isn’t because you are trying to have any kind of dialog.

You want respect for your church, fine, then show some for members of other churches, not just the Catholic church. Respect, like evangelizing goes both ways. You have to give it, to get it.

You really should think before you start a thread like this. It really is sad.

If you think that Catholics talk differently to Mormons than Protestants, stop reading the few Mormons threads and read the Protestant themed ones.

But I’m sure you knew that, since you have claimed to be Catholic, baptized Protestant, and Mormon, and changed from Mormon telling people to go to mormon.org for information to a Catholic in less than 24 hours. (your own posts as evidence).

I have morman friends. I respect the life work eithic and devotion to faith and God. I believe, however, that the doctrine is errant is many significant areas. But rude? I would never be rude to a morman, protestant, muslem, Jew . . . or Catholic. That is not our witness - our witness is the gospel and to share it , with patience and in love.

I believe in the inerrancy of scripture, that rules out most of the doctrines of the morman church.

Blessings,

Brian

I don’t see any “smoothing” or politeness to Protestants in here generally. We see thread after thread after thread about how Protestants want chaos, they’re selfish and have made their churches all about themselves, sola scriptura and sola fide are chided and mocked, Protestant contributions to Western Civlization are diminished or rejected wholesale, and I see many posters downright hateful to Protestants in here. They are obsessed with it and just rail about it all day?

Mormons aren’t held in high regard either but I think most Catholics in here think ANYTHING other than Catholics (and they give a little lea-way to Orthodox) is junk…

Two pieces of advice, both of which I imagine you will ignore.

First, get over the Us versus Them mentality.

Secondly, get over yourself.

To whom is your post directed? It has no quote. Am I to understand it is directed toward me or the OP?

The OP! And I hope he follows the advice!

I agree that we shouldn’t be rude. I like having conversations with Mormon missionaries, myself.

However, there is a basic reason why Catholics and Protestants treat each other differently than either of us treats Mormons. Catholics and Protestants, for all our differences, believe in the Trinity. We believe in a single eternal God existing in three Persons, and we believe that there is an infinite, qualitative difference of nature between God and humanity. Many of us believe in deification by grace, but we do not believe that humans are beings of the same basic kind as God. We also do not believe in public revelation after the writing of the last book of the NT canon and/or the death of the original Apostles. These are basic differences between us and you. We recognize each other as belonging to the same Faith, even though we interpret that Faith differently (well, Catholics officially recognize us in this way–unfortunately, some ultra-conservative Protestants don’t return the favor, and you can find overzealous Catholics on these forums who speak equally harshly of Protestants). We cannot recognize you in this way. Most of us believe that you should be regarded as a substantially different religion. (The concrete expression of this is that we do not generally recognize the validity of your baptisms.) That doesn’t mean that we should be rude to you. It doesn’t mean that we don’t recognize that there are many good and true things in what you believe. But you have departed from historic Christianity in a way that makes the differences between Catholics and Protestants trivial by comparison.

Edwin

For the poster with the sick comments, so what I was a Protestant in the past. There is nothing about being disgraceful about being a Mormon. I could never be loyal in Catholicism.

I have no concerns about being converted by my Catholic friends. They know I am to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

What is sick about his comment?

What about the question posed to you earlier?

Do you think it is ok for mormon missionaries to try and convert, but Catholics aren’t supposed to? That is what your OP appears to be saying.

By the way, we get it. Right now, you believe mormonism is right for you. Great. Yippee!!
You’ve said it enough, we get it.

By the way, I haven’t seen anyone try to convert you yet. (Don’t think it’s going to happen either) We are just trying to show you the truth.

I agree that being rude is unnecessary. Though I’ve read about the Mormon Church, I have talked to but a few - we usually get Jehovah’s Witnesses at our door.

Those of you who know Mormons your focus in getting us to leave our church and going through RCIA or in my case, just come back to the church…is useless.

That is because, the hard truth is, no one considers Mormons to be Orthodox Christians except for Mormons.

Why do you try? Those who have weak knowledge about my church are going to come to you or whatever church they will or no church at all. Trying to convince me about Catholicism are a waste of time.

Speaking for myself, I do not care if its a book, tract, the forums here, etc will never convince me that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is anything other than what I know it is.

I guess I am at a loss as to why you are here then. I am also not a Roman Catholic but I am here to learn. I am open to the possibility that the Roman Catholic church is correct. If at any point I became convinced otherwise, I would leave the board rather than waste my time arguing. If your only reason for being here is to argue or purposely post items that will cause an arugment, then yes, it will start grating on people’s nerves after awhile and patiences will start wearing thin and when that happens, people might start getting a little rude.

It sounds to me that not only is your mind made up, you are unwilling to even listen. This being the case, your time might be spent better elsewhere.

Because Mormons aren’t Christians.

Excuse me? Last time I checked, our RCC welcomes anyone. Regardless of anything he’s said, I find it appalling that you’d return fire with such statements. I think if we stepped back, we’d see that all of us, through sin, are a disgrace to the Christian faith. Yet God wants us despite all of our flaws.

Your post is a FAIL in every sense of the word. My apologies to the OP.

Maybe you don’t, but I bet Jesus does.

Thank you for recognizing our work for the poor. Likewise, I have always admired the strong attention LDS pays towards the family. It’s an outstanding thing that you and your church do. I’m very sorry for any rudeness yourself (especially the first reply in this thread!) or your missionaries have encountered. It’s definitely not something anyone deserves.

God bless you brother.

For those of you who may not be aware.

Thecourt likes to start these threads, then address the individual posters in private messages instead of openly in the forum.

If you look back through his previous posts, you will see that he is a staunch mormon, then he says hes a former mormon, now he’s back to being a staunch mormon. Plus a protestant baptism thrown in there also.

I have asked him to stop messaging me and start addressing things in the threads he creates.

If anything doctrinal comes up, he cannot/will not provide any references, but merely tells you to look it up yourself. (see his thread on Vatican II)

Just wanted to let you all know.

I pray from him.

:thumbsup:

Those other threads don’t really matter. Seeing another Catholic tell someone that the RCC doesn’t want them and calling them a disgrace is a horrible thing to read in these forums.

Regardless of past posts, I think turning the other cheek, charity and love should always be present.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.