Why should a scrupulous person give full obedience to one Confessor?

What’s the reasoning behind a scrupulous person obeying a Confessor and not consulting other opinions? Some I can think of at the moment are:

1. A Confessor would be a Priest, educated deeply in theology and has a thorough understanding on the doctrines of the Church. It is highly unlikely they’ll lead you into error. The Saints have stressed the importance of obedience to Confessor and that we’re to obey them in all things EXCEPT if they tell us to sin (eg “go and murder your Friend”)
  2. Not everyone shares the same view. The Church has a firm stance on certain topics such as practicing witchcraft is evil and forbidden. However, they don’t have a definite view on reading Harry Potter books; some Catholics believe it is OK to read it, while others do not. This could lead to confusion for the scrupulous person.
1 Like

Because, as you said, priests have different opinions (and legitimately so) about some matters.

Scrupulous people would worry in such cases that one priest may be right and the others wrong, even on matters that are opinion rather than doctrine. To consult many priests would lead to unnecessary confusion.

Once you find someone compatible with your beliefs-not scrupulous beliefs-but Church doctrine and understanding of scripture, you just need the one, since another person may say something different that they think is helpful. You’ll then have two viewpoints, and it might be confusing.
the struggle is about certainty and the perfect answers. But one director will keep you from the constant search for perfectionism.

Agree with this part.

It would seem to me a scrupulous person would preform a thorough examination conscience and would confess only sins that need to be confessed.

1. Because the conscience of the scrupulous person is malfunctioning, and cannot be trusted, and therefore needs a trusted second conscience to guide him.

Actually, no. One counsel for the scrupulous is that they avoid “thorough” examinations of conscience, and in fact, limit their examinations to something really short, like five minutes. “Thorough” examinations of conscience are good only for people with normal consciences. Those with OCD and scrupulosity cannot work with these.

Recognizing real sin is often not an issue for the scrupulous. When there is real sin involved, be it mortal or venial sin, the scruples are actually quiet, and they know without doubt these are sins to be confessed.

This is one principle that’s helping me through my own tendencies. If I’m struggling over it, I actually do not confess it, because if I’m certain of a sin, the scruples do not act up.

1 Like

A scrupulous soul needs to obey. If you were scrupulous, you would understand how freeing obedience is to such a soul.

I think you are confusing scrupulosity with a normal devout Catholic. Scrupulosity is a term that often applies to Catholics with OCD and is both a great mental and spiritual danger. Martin Luther, to take a famous example, had terrible scrupulosity and it drove him into despair and away from the Church.

I am sorry I misunderstood the question.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.