Why should American Catholics be opposed to gay marriage?

I know that gay marriage is a sin, but what I don’t understand is that if America is a free country where we want people to respect our (Catholic) opinions, it seems like it isn’t our place to outlaw gay marriage. Homosexuality is against our beliefs, but seeing as this is a country where everyone is entitled to their own opinions, it seems that we should not try and dictate a law against homosexuality.

Am I wrong about this opinion? This was just a thought I had and I was curious.
God Bless!

In the USA polygamy is illegal, yet no one (or at least *very *few) considers that a violation of anyone else’s rights. Marriage has been regulated by the state since the dawn of human history. At various times divorce was either impossible or very difficult to attain. All of these regulations have been aimed at recognizing that marriage and family is the building block of society and needs to be protected. Regulations of any kind are an admission that we prefer certain scenarios over others.

If someone is in favor of gay marriage as a civil right, ask them why they oppose the civil rights of polygamists? Why are they not free to love who they want and share legal protections with their wives or husbands? Who are they to judge them and declare polygamists’ marriages and love “less than” other marriages and love? Who are they to impose their morality on others?

The simple fact is that when something can be anything it becomes nothing. Lines need to be drawn on how we define marriage and encourage families. Catholics have every right to have a voice in the debate…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.