why should i be a catholic?

I am a protestant fundamentalist right now, why should i be a Catholic

“The difficulty of explaining “why I am a Catholic” is that there are ten thousand reasons all amounting to one reason: that Catholicism is true.” ~ G.K. Chestert

Listen to the best of the best:
youtube.com/watch?v=GRIim5MmGIg

God Bless!:thumbsup:

Because as a baptized Christian, you were brought into the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church, and you should live into the fullness of what you were given at baptism.

But there’s no point trying to persuade you in the abstract. Unless and until you start to feel the “tug,” persuasion will be in vain.

Or, in other terms, as long as your present paradigm is satisfactory, you won’t want to seek out an alternative.

When you start to have doubts about Protestant fundamentalism, come back and we’ll talk about why Catholicism fulfills what is true in fundamentalism while avoiding its errors.

Or, if you have some specific issue you want to discuss, raise it.

Edwin

To claim your rightful inheritance as Jesus’ brother and God the Father’s child.

The Catholic Church was created by Jesus especially for you, to give you the whole truth about the Gospel, the Sacraments, and eternal life with Him.

Don’t be left in the dark. Come to the light.

If you were what you claim, you would not be claiming to be a “fundy” because that is a slur used against evangelicals. They do not call themselves “fundies”. In fact, it is against forum rules to use that term.

Because without the Catholic church you have no Bible to determine what “the fundamentals are”

You have no link to the apostles

The early church fathers who knew the apostles and early Christians in the 100s AD, have a very different idea of Christianity than fundamentalists.

Bottom line, Catholicism has the historical pedigree to back up its claim of authority. Protestantism does not.

Because we have the history, Apostles, early church fathers, The Blessed Mother, and the fact that Jesus Christ established The Church

I became Catholic to be a part of the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church; to participate in the fullness of Communion and partake of the sacraments of the Church, and to be an obedient child of God.

I became Catholic to enter into the Kingdom of God.

Because you love Jesus. Because He founded his one, holy, apostolic Church for you. So that you can have the assurance of truth in the Church’s teaching, and the assurance of salvation in the sacraments. Because He wants you to be united to Him in the most awesome way in the Eucharist.

There’s so many reasons, but these for me are the big ones.

I am an ex fundy of the Baptist type. I won’t go near them any mpore, and haven’t in some 40 years. I find Catholic church services to be much more worshipful and much more focused on the Lord than fundy ones. Opening a service with “Blessed be God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit” is much more conducive to worship than opening it with “Hey, folks! Isn’t it great to be here today!” I also find through reading that the Catholic church is much closer to the Apostles, the early church and the church fathers than the fundies are.

Do you want a personal relationship with Christ? Great! There can be nothing more personal than to recline at table in the upper room; to sense the presence of the entire host of heaven and the action of the Holy Spirit at the consecration; to eat His Body and drink His Blood; to follow Him to Calvary and stand at the foot of the cross when He says, “Behold your mother”; to look into the empty tomb and realize that He has defeated death and is risen; to realize that He remains in you and you in Him. All of this, and far too much more to describe, once you know, understand and believe the Catholic faith.

Yes, it’s that good.

I think that the following scriptures will help show why we should all be Catholic:

First of all, let’s look at what Jesus says about the truth.

John 8:31-32
Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, “If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”

John 14:6
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

In Jesus prayer to the Father just before his death he prays for unity among the apostles and all those that follow them. In doing so he makes some extraordinarily important points about truth and unity. We see this in the following:

John 17:17-23
Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth. "I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one.

Paul preaches the same thing in terms of unity as follows:

1 Corinthians 1:10
Now I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you be in agreement and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same purpose.

Can this unity be maintained and provided by sola scriptura? The following scriptures would negate that idea:

2 Peter 1:20
First of all you must understand this, that no prophecy of scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation,

2 Peter 3:15-16
So also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, speaking of this as he does in all his letters. There are some things in them hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other scriptures.

So how do we get the unity that scripture alone cannot provide? Scripture tells us that we must remain faithful to the “sure word as taught” per 1 Titus 7-9. Furthermore scripture says the following about the** Church**:

1 Timothy 3:15
…if I am delayed, you may know how one ought to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the** pillar and bulwark of the truth**.

2 Thess 2:15
So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by our letter.

Titus 7:-9
For a bishop, as God’s steward, must be blameless; he must not be arrogant or quick-tempered or a drunkard or violent or greedy for gain, but hospitable, a lover of goodness, master of himself, upright, holy, and self-controlled; he must hold firm to** the sure word as taught**, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to confute those who contradict it.

Eph 1:22-23
…the church, which is his body, the fulness of him who fills all in all.

Eph 5:23
…Christ is the head of the church, his body…

In conclusion we can see the necessity and importance of truth and of unity in truth. Moroever, we see that we must hold fast to “the sure word as taught.” After all, the “sure word as taught” is the truth and it is the truth that sets us free and it is the unity in that truth that preserves the truth and keeps souls within the body of Christ which is the Church. The Church is the body of Christ and it is the pillar and bulwark of the truth which is absolutely necessary for our salvation. Moreover, the reference in Titus 1:7-9 mentions the “bishop”. Clearly, there is a hierarchical structure in the Church and that structure is necessary in preserving truth and unity in teaching.

By way of history and the adherence to the “sure word as taught”, it is the Catholic Church that holds the fullness of the truth. It is for these reasons that everyone should be members of the Catholic Church.

God bless.

God bless you, imadesomanymist, and may he lead you to the faith.

None of us can bring you into the fullness of God’s truth. Only through God’s grace empowering your will, will you be brought there.

Thank you for coming to learn, here. We certainly welcome you to say, and ask questions! There’s lots of questions to be asked. But always check the search function at the home page-- a lot of your questions are addressed right there. Also check the Ask and Apologist page and search a bit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.