Why should i be a catholic

Why should i be a catholic?

Because you love the Truth.

(1) Apostolic Succession.

(2) 2000-year continuity of the Church, beginning at Pentecost.

Because the Catholic Church was founded by Christ for all men.

There are lots of possible answers. Not everyone becomes Catholic for the same reason.

The Catholic Church embodies the fullness of Christian Faith and a guarantee that She will not teach error.

Because the Catholic Church is the original Christian Church, founded by Christ. Because the Church is the pillar and ground of the truth, as St. Paul says. Because Jesus Christ is present in the Eucharist. Because God is love.

The Catholic Church is the One True Church founded by Jesus. His disciple, Peter, was given the ‘keys’ to this Church. Today’s Pope traces his succession from Peter.

The Eucharist.
It is not a ‘symbol’ as Protestant churches maintain. The Bible says that it is his ‘Body and Blood’ and that those who receive in a state of sin will be condemned. If it were meant to be only a symbol, there would be no reason for condemnation.

The Apocrypha/ Deutero-Canonical books.
Protestants read the Bible with these books removed. They were part of the Bible until Protestants decided they were not relevant and excluded them from the Scriptures, thereby removing God’s Word from millions of readers.

Sacred Tradition.
Many Protestants rely on the Bible to tell them what is expected of them. Problem is, there are over 100,000 Protestant denominations and many believe different things. How can they all be right? Catholics follow not just the Bible, but the wisdom of the centuries, which enriches our lives and does not go against the Bible.

Basically, as a Catholic you have everything God wanted us to have. The Reformation, with the new Protestant ideology, is a man-made, not a God-made, thing.

Catholicism is pre denominational.
We are the Originals.

Catholicism is Christianity at its fullest expression.

Having the Bible but rejecting the religion that produced it, is like taking the writings
of the Dalai Lama and following his writings but rejecting Him and Tibetan Buddhism.
If the writings are a reflection of the religion ( The Bible- Catholic version) but you reject the religion from which it came, you are left only with a reflection ( the leaf on the tree, but not the trunk or the branches.)

Amen

Because the Catholic Church has the answers.

And some of the following good reasons, too:

If someone were to have an opportunity to invite anyone at all to their sunday service, who would they invite? Somebody important and holy. We have him, Jesus Christ, every sunday on our altar. A talk could never take the place of Jesus no matter how emotional and moving it might be.

Second, knowing the truth, coming to us thru 2,000 years. It would be hard to know what is true after 2000 years, unless there is a trail of the legacy of truth that can be followed thru time, from Jesus til now. Just as the legacy of truth can be followed thru 2,000 years from Abraham to Jesus.

“In the Catholic Church, there are many other things which most justly keep me in her bosom. The consent of peoples and nations keeps me in the Church; so does her authority, inaugurated by miracles, nourished by hope, enlarged by love, established by age. The succession of priests keeps me, beginning from the very seat of the Apostle Peter, to whom the Lord, after His resurrection, gave it in charge to feed His sheep, down to the present episcopate. And so, lastly, does the name itself of Catholic, which, not without reason, amid so many heresies, the Church has thus retained; so that, though all heretics wish to be called Catholics, yet when a stranger asks where the Catholic Church meets, no heretic will venture to point to his own chapel or house. Such then in number and importance are the precious ties belonging to the Christian name which keep a believer in the Catholic Church, as it is right they should. . . With you, where there is none of these things to attract or keep me. . . No one shall move me from the faith which binds my mind with ties so many and so strong to the Christian religion. . . For my part, I should not believe the gospel except as moved by the authority of the Catholic Church.”

St. Augustine

It’s not just some bunch of rules that people made up at the turn of the century. It is a rich deposit of faith given to the Catholic Church by the Lord Jesus Christ. And in the 2,000 + years through ups and downs the Catholic Church has kept the faith ALIVE. It would have been easier to go the way of the world, crossing out hard teachings, but the Catholic Church has maintained the truth that Jesus brought to earth. People criticize the church like she made up all the hard rules just to control people, but that’s not so. The hard rules were given by Jesus and the Church has passed them on to each generation. Search for the truth and you will find it in the Catholic Church…

You should be a Catholic only because you love the Lord Jesus Christ. Because you desire the most close, intimate, intense, personal relationship that one can possibly have with their Savior. Because you want to participate in the Divine nature of God. Because the Church has roots that reach directly back to Christ and the twelve. Because her theology is so profound that one can never reach their limits. Because her teachings have never changed and never can change. Because of each and every promise which Christ gave to His Church in the scriptures. Because he Holy Spirit is alive and active within her and waits to permeate your very being. Because this world’s oldest organization has been attacked, from without and from within by each and every kind of modern-day Judas that the devil can inspire - yet still stands, unshaken. But, first and foremost, because you love Christ.

I agree with all the above posters! By one person that especially made some excellent reasons was Peter Kreeft in his CD “7 Reasons to be Catholic”. Our parish had this CD and it had a profound impact on me. If you have any more ?'s how to get this I’ll get more info to you but it isn’t here while I’m sending this now…I’d have to look.
Blessings on your quest for Truth,
mlz

Take it from the top:

[FONT=Calibri]1. [/FONT]God Exists.
[FONT=Calibri]2. [/FONT]Each of us has an immortal soul.
[FONT=Calibri]3. [/FONT]Each of us is destined for either Heaven or Hell for all eternity.
[FONT=Calibri]4. [/FONT]Jesus Christ is the Living Son of God.
[FONT=Calibri]5. [/FONT]As the Living Son of God, Christ cannot lie.
[FONT=Calibri]6. [/FONT]While everything Christ said is important, here are the most essential for being a Catholic, IMO:

[FONT=Arial]**Matthew 16: 15-19 **He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood [/FONT][FONT=Calibri]has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church,and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. [/FONT][FONT=Arial]I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]**Luke 22: 19-20 **[/FONT][FONT=Arial]Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you.[/FONT]

John 20: 19-23 [FONT=Arial]On the evening of that first day of the week,[/FONT][FONT=Arial] when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. [/FONT][FONT=Calibri]The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. [Jesus] said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]John 14: 23-26 Jesus answered and said to him, “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him.[/FONT][FONT=Arial] Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; yet the word you hear is not mine but that of the Father who sent me. “I have told you this while I am with you. The Advocate, the holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name—he will teach you everything and remind you of all that * told you.*[/FONT]

[FONT=Calibri]7. [/FONT]When we do the best we can to follow Christ’s teachings, we keep open the possibility of salvation and eternity in Heaven.
[FONT=Calibri]8. [/FONT]When we reject Christ and His Teachings, we increase the risk of eternity in Hell.

The Catholic Faith has the fullness of Christ. Christ established HIS church and gave it HIS authority. No one can take Christ’s authority on themselves. Christ gave us the Holy Eucharist - Himself - Christ within us. Without clear authority from Christ, a minister cannot change bread and wine into the true body and blood of Christ. Many denominations do not believe Christ is indeed present their Holy Communion. Christ gave the Apostles the power to forgive sins in His Name. We can not go directly to Christ for forgiveness, we must go to Him through His Church. This Sacrament is HUGE in keeping us on the right path to Eternal Salvation. God sent His Church the Holy Spirit to guide it until Christ returns.

Either we believe Christ is the Living Son of God who cannot lie and thus we keep His Words or we try, at our peril, to make Christ less than He is so we can have OUR way.

You can either be a member of the Church Christ founded and said the gates of Hell would never prevail against, or some other ‘church’ founded by man.

Ive read your other posts. You shouldn’t be. Just stick to whatever it is your doing. Seems to be working for you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.