Why should i be a roman catholic

Why should i be a roman catholic

Because Truth matters.

Such a good question. Why do I think you should be Catholic, because it is the faith of the early Christians.

Because the early Christians recognized Bishops as authoritative: “Appoint, therefore, for yourselves, bishops and deacons worthy of the Lord” Didache 50-120 A.D.
earlychristianwritings.com/text/didache-roberts.html

“BE SUBJECT TO THE BISHOP” Ignatius of Antioch 105-115 A.D.
earlychristianwritings.com/text/ignatius-trallians-roberts.html

Because the early Christians believed that the Eucharist was the actual body and blood of Christ.

``For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Saviour, having been made flesh by the Word of God, had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh" Justin Martyr 150-160 A.D.
earlychristianwritings.com/text/justinmartyr-firstapology.html

And I could go on but I don’t have time. In my opinion you cannot read the literally Bible using today’s world views and opinions (as many people do) to interpret what was written 2000 years ago. As you read more and more on what the early Christians believe, you will begin to realize that that is also what the Catholic Church teaches today. You will also gain a better understanding of how the Sacred Scriptures should be interpreted, and Catholic teaching will begin to make a lot more sense. I would suggest reading from the source of the early Christians as well, not what someone else wrote about them. To see their original translated texts, check out these links. One of them is even from Calvin College ;).

ccel.org/node/70

earlychristianwritings.com/index.html

Because you love Jesus Christ and seek the fullest expression and presence of Him on earth.

Because it is real. It is universal. It is the same Church that was started 2000 years ago, whereas other Christian churches are just a branch that split because they had their own ideas of what should be taught. Take a look at our Popes, it is an unbroken line, all the way down to Peter, who was handed the keys from Christ himself.

Jesus gave us the Eucharist. No other church believes that this is truly Christ present… and if it is real then why not believe it? It may seem unbelievable, but if God can do anything, then why would he not give us his son in the Eucharist, to be in us. When we receive Jesus, we are walking tabernacles, carrying Christ to the world. You might wonder, but how can God fit on so small a piece of bread? Think of it this way, how is it that our eyes are the size of a quarter, yet if we were to stand on a mountain we can see the whole world with them! Anything is possible with God. :thumbsup:

Because it’s the real thing! Read about the Early Church Fathers and you’ll see! Prayers. God Bless, Memaw

Along with all the other great answers, because it is Christ’s Church founded on the Apostles through which he leads us to salvation by means of her sacraments, prayer life, and good works done through his grace.

As a Catholic it is far more important to live in Christ than it is to be a theologian or even a priest because the call of the Church is to holiness and love. The holiness Christ called us to and the love with which he loved us. It’s a transformation of the whole person into one of humility, grace, and inner beauty worked out through prayer and loving service to each other.

I don’t know you and I don’t know anything about you so I think a better question is “why are you not Catholic?”

We can then give you answers and resources to those things you misunderstand, don’t understand, were taught erroneously, are confused about, or just plain have questions about.

Once you have the answers, you will be in a better position to decide if you should be Catholic.

Why not? Seriously. What reasons do you have in your mind for not being Roman Catholic? I only ask that because there’s obviously something keeping you from it. Here’s a short (but effective) article that may help you answer that for yourself instead of us Catholics simply listing our own reasons. Trust me, we could all list 1,000s of reasons why you should…
americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/ac0194.asp

I’ll add that as a forensic scientist, I am always looking for the truth and in order to find that I must have enough information gathered that I can make a conclusion. I found that the “puzzle” I was looking at all my life was never complete in terms of Christian faith. That is, the picture didn’t show me anything but a puzzle missing pieces and pushed together in an attempt to show the picture. Finally after studying Catholicism, it was as if the missing pieces were shown to me and I was able to see where they belong and alas, the picture - the fullness of the Truth revealed itself to me.

Hope this helps!

Careful there, don’t let the Orthodox hear you say that (or the Copts, …)

Greatest response ever!! I about died laughing (with joy of course because of how real this answer is :D)!!!

The real question you need answers for is, how do I become Catholic.

Read Church history and you will see why you should be Catholic.

He who reads Church History ceases to be Protestant :smiley:

Here’s 150 Reasons courtesy of Dave Armstrong:

ourcatholicfaith.org/reasons.html

It’s the Church Jesus Christ founded and the gates of hell has not and will not prevail against it.

Blessings,
Mary.

Amen.
These were the exact words of one of my RCIA students in Bible Study last evening.

Take it from the top:

[FONT=Calibri]1. [/FONT]God Exists.
[FONT=Calibri]2. [/FONT]Each of us has an immortal soul.
[FONT=Calibri]3. [/FONT]Each of us is destined for either Heaven or Hell for all eternity.
[FONT=Calibri]4. [/FONT]Jesus Christ is the Living Son of God.
[FONT=Calibri]5. [/FONT]As the Living Son of God, Christ cannot lie.
[FONT=Calibri]6. [/FONT]While everything Christ said is important, here are the most essential, IMO:

[FONT=Arial]**Matthew 16: 15-19 **[/FONT]He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” Simon Peter said in reply, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Jesus said to him in reply, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood* has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father. And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church,and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

[FONT=Calibri]Luke 22: 19-20 [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Then he took the bread, said the blessing, broke it, and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which will be given for you; do this in memory of me.” And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, which will be shed for you.[/FONT]

John 20: 19-23 On the evening of that first day of the week, when the doors were locked, where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be with you.” When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side.* The disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. [Jesus] said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”

[FONT=Calibri]John 14: 23-26 [/FONT]Jesus answered and said to him, “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; yet the word you hear is not mine but that of the Father who sent me. “I have told you this while I am with you. The Advocate, the holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name—he will teach you everything and remind you of all that * told you.*

[FONT=Calibri]7. [/FONT]When we do the best we can to follow Christ’s teachings, we keep open the possibility of salvation and eternity in Heaven.
[FONT=Calibri]8. [/FONT]When we reject Christ and His Teachings, we increase the risk of eternity in Hell.

I have no idea. Did someone suggest it?

Simple - Because you have come to believe that the Catholic Church contains the Truth of the Gospel better than any other ecclesial community. (and it does).

Peace
James

We love pizza!

I am a revert from reform theology, feel free to send me a pm.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.