Why should I be Catholic?

Hi.

I am currently a Protestant missionary. I am here because I am a lover of most things Catholic, and I am quietly seeking. I am really a terrible Protestant… I became a disciple of Jesus in 93 through a Protestant college ministry (not crusade). While there wasn’t an open hostility towards catholicism, there is always sort of a built in resistance towards the Roman Church in all circles of protestantism… ranging from open hostility (see extreme fundys) to honest skepticism/questioning (sort of the circles i converted in).

While I think many beliefs are misrepresented in protestant circles (and many times Catholics haven’t done a good job explaining themselves)… “they worship Mary, don’t believe in the Bible” etc… I have done somewhat of a good job… exploring for myself.

So my question… is where should I start? What articles on Catholic.com? Books? Is this the right forum to ask questions and have some things explained?

I encourage you to keep seeking. For there is only one reason for becoming Catholic, and that is, very simply, because the Catholic Church is the true Church established by Jesus Christ, empowered with his authority to declare his truth until the end of time. If you get that straight, everything else falls into place.

To help you along in that process, I highly recommend Karl Adam’s book The Spirit of Catholicism. I think this book is the best single book on the Catholic Church. I also recommend you read the writings of the early Church (see links below). In them you’ll see how

1. All the early Christians were explicitly Catholic in their beliefs.
  2. This pilgrim Church had the marks of the true Church—one, holy, catholic, and apostolic.
  3. There was a profession of one faith received from the Apostles; common celebration of divine worship, especially of the sacraments; apostolic succession through the sacrament of Holy Orders, maintaining the fraternal concord of God’s family (CCC 815).

You’ll also read the words of St. Ignatius (AD 110) who said “where there is Christ Jesus, there is the Catholic Church.” And, you’ll also discover that Protestant theology was nowhere to be found.

I pray that God will help you to recognize that you belong in the Catholic Church, not for any other reason than because it’s entirely true,

You are in my prayers. God bless you.

Recommended books:

The Spirit of Catholicism by Karl Adam

The Mass of the Early Christians by Mike Aquilina

The Fathers of the Church by Mike Aquilina

The Catholic Verses - 95 Bible Passages that Confound Protestants by Dave Armstrong

Articles:
Catholic Answers

EWTN

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.