Why Should I Become Catholic?

Please give me a good argument as to why I should follow the Catholic Church.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

This

Because Jesus started the church!
There is no other church that has the sacraments like we do/ beliving in the real presence
There is no other curch that has the sacramentals like we do which help increase your faith (statues, rosary, holy water, adoration etc.)

Because of the Eucharist, the Real Presence of Christ - Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity.

John 6:47-59
" *Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life. **I am the bread of life. **Your ancestors ate the manna in the desert, but they died; **this is the bread that comes down from heaven so that one may eat it and not die. **I am the living bread that came down from heaven; whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world." **The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us (his) flesh to eat?” **Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you. **Whoever eatsmy flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. **For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. **Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him. **Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me. **This is the bread that came down from heaven. Unlike your ancestors who ate and still died, whoever eats this bread will live forever.” *These things he said while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum. "

Sir, I advise you to consider the context of scripture, for without this the scripture is void in your teaching. The context is the essence, for I can quote a Psalm out of it’s context stating, “There is no God”. That teaching would be false. So let us consider the context.

We find understanding in what Christ had said in the verses following these.

John 6:59-71 ESV
(59) Jesus said these things in the synagogue, as he taught at Capernaum.
(60) When many of his disciples heard it, they said, “This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?”
(61) But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were grumbling about this, said to them, “Do you take offense at this?
(62) Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before?
(63) It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.
(64) But there are some of you who do not believe.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.)
(65) And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.”
(66) After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him.
(67) So Jesus said to the Twelve, “Do you want to go away as well?”
(68) Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life,
(69) and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.”
(70) Jesus answered them, “Did I not choose you, the Twelve? And yet one of you is a devil.”
(71) He spoke of Judas the son of Simon Iscariot, for he, one of the Twelve, was going to betray him.

Let us examine verse 63. Jesus tells us that flesh is of no help. So, if we take that with what you are saying the previous verses are saying, Jesus is contradicting Himself, as if to say, “The flesh is of no help, yet you should eat my flesh to live”. Jesus explains further, “The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life.” The Holy Eucharist is not the physical and literal body and blood of Christ, but it is spiritual.

Thank you for your time.

God bless,

Hi kristani , Fifty days after the Resurection at Pentecost the glorified Jesus Christ poured out the spirit in abundance and revealed him as a divine Person so that the Holy Trinity was fully manifest. The mission of Christ and of the Spirit became the mission of the Church which is sent to proclaim and spread the mystery of the communion of the Holy Trinity. Carlan

It says you’re a Catholic in training, so does that mean that there’s still doubt in your mind or is there some other purpose to this question?

I don’t know you but would think that the Lord lead you to this point where you’re considering Catholicism, to the true Church He founded where He will give you His flesh and blood for you to have eternal life.

Rather than expect us to have the answer you seek, what about praying and listening to what He says about why you should be a Catholic. :wink:

Because it’s the Truth.

If you open your heart to God and ask Him to show you the Truth, the Catholic Church is the place to which He will lead you. I’m not saying it will be easy, but just keep listening to Him. Not to what you ‘think’ He’s saying, but to Him.

(Hint: The harder it is, or more illogical/paradoxical, uncomfortable, or unwilling you are to accept any given teaching about the Catholic Church : The more likely it IS to be God’s truth. Humans are very proud of their reasoning and will do just about anything to rationalize everything about them, especially their religion. They want God in THEIR image. . .easy, logical, comfortable, and ‘reasonable’, and then think this must be the real God because they feel so GOOD about this God.

Truth is NOT comfortable. Seldom, when it comes to our failings, do we want to hear the truth about ourselves, precisely because we WILL be uncomfortable knowing those faults and failings.

Ponder that and may God bless you.)

Tristan, I’d ask you to please read the following:
catholic.com/library/Christ_in_the_Eucharist.asp

You misunderstood Jesus unlike the disciples who understood quite well that they were to literally eat His flesh.
In John 6:63 "flesh profits nothing" refers to mankind’s inclination to think using only what their natural human reason would tell them rather than what God would tell them.*
You seem to take “the flesh” as His flesh and not the real meaning.

*Are we to understand that Christ had just commanded his disciples to eat his flesh, then said their doing so would be pointless? Is that what “the flesh is of no avail” means? “Eat my flesh, but you’ll find it’s a waste of time”—is that what he was saying? Hardly.

The fact is that Christ’s flesh avails much! If it were of no avail, then the Son of God incarnated for no reason, he died for no reason, and he rose from the dead for no reason. Christ’s flesh profits us more than anyone else’s in the world. If it profits us nothing, so that the incarnation, death, and resurrection of Christ are of no avail, then “your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished” (1 Cor. 15:17b–18). *

Jesus does not contradict Himself. They properly understood Him which is why they found the teaching hard and why Jesus did not correct them (He did so many times before and yet didn’t do so here? Why would he lead them to error? He didn’t.) You mistake “spirit” to be symbolic it would seem and not what it really is. The only unbiblical thing is believing the Eucharist is not His true flesh and blood.

*John 6:63: “It is the spirit that gives life, while the flesh is of no avail. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and life.” [Protestants] seize on the word “spirit” and interpret it as “symbolic,” arguing that Jesus’ use of “spirit” meant he was speaking symbolically, not literally.

Several questions should be asked at this point: (1) Where else in the Bible is “spirit” ever interpreted as “symbolic”? (The answer: Nowhere.) (2) Since there’s no other instance of “spirit” meaning “symbolic,” by what criteria do Protestants insist on applying that meaning in John 6:63? (3) Since God, human souls, angels, and Satan are spirits, does that mean they too are merely symbolic–and if not, why interpret “spirit” in John 6:63 as meaning “symbolic”?*

Liraco,

Thank you very much for correcting me and rubuking me. I appreciate this.

So you can have unlimited joy in this world and the next.

For all the reasons stated so eloquently above and you have received a gracious invitation from above…so that He may abide in you & you in He.
Why settle for McDonalds when you can have Prime Rib. :rolleyes:

Well, I like McDonalds’ Caesar Salad. :stuck_out_tongue:

I disagree. I’m more offended by Mormons and Satanists. Doesn’t mean they are true…

:ehh::hmmm:

catholicscomehome.org/epic/epic120.phtml

John Newman. He was an Anglican who started out writing a book to prove Anglican’s still had truth, he ended up becoming catholic: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Newman
deciding that the catholic church was the only religion with an inability to change doctrine, and thus as the faith founded by christ, the faith most inline with christ.

God Bless

Hehe =). You enjoy McDonald’s Caesar Salad simply because you have not tasted real salad. You know that salad made from the finest fresh harvested vegetables harvested from the yard, hand tossed and seasoned by your momma with the greatest love and care, and topped with the best tomatoes and mushrooms hand picked by your papa. Once you have that, there’s no going back – even if you get strange cravings once in a while.

To me, this is a foretaste of the difference between having the fullness of Catholicism, which is the fullness of faith, to anything else this side of Heaven.

No problem, I do what I can with what little knowledge I have (and this site which is a huge help). If you do have any more questions then feel free to ask, we’ll all do our best. :wink:

That made me laugh. :smiley:

I guess food analogies don’t work as well when the person you’re saying them to has different tastes than yours.

The historical proofs. Look at the Apostolic Fathers, particularly Ignatius and Clement. Both of them were students of the apostles and friends with other students as well as Justin Martyr. How can you believe that all of the students of the apostles fell into heresy? Clement himself was a Pope! Ignatius spoke of the Papacy, and coined the term Catholic! The Apostles passed down their truths, taught to them by Christ and inspired by the Holy Spirit, to men like this,who in turn passed it down to their students and so on. That is how the truth has been carried along. Scripture was never meant to be seperated from the truths carried down through the ages. It’s illogical to say every person was to interpet it for himself. There can only be one valid interpetation, one truth, one authentic teaching. Without such an authority to guard it it would surely have been lost. Some may say the Holy Spirit is this authority. They are right. But they are wrong in that the Holy Spirit inspires everyone. As Father Gray Bean said, if this is so, the Holy Spirit must be schizophrenic due to the wide range of beliefs. And if one of these groups does have the truth, how did they get it? They can’t have been students of the Apostles. No, they came too late to be authentic. Only the Catholic Church can claim this!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.