Why should the government grant religious freedom and give protected class status to those engaging in religious activity?

Why should the government grant religious freedom and give protected class status to those engaging in religious activity? That is, as opposed to and over other behaviors or activities, why should we protect people of religion as a protected class to the extent that we have enshrined it in the first amendment? Why not protect other behaviors and activities in the same way, such as sexual behaviors. I hope the questions are clear enough - its something I have thought about for some time so I thought I would approach my fellow Catholics on it (though all opinions are welcome).

[quote="soccerdad57, post:1, topic:318570"]
Why should the government grant religious freedom and give protected class status to those engaging in religious activity? That is, as opposed to and over other behaviors or activities, why should we protect people of religion as a protected class to the extent that we have enshrined it in the first amendment? Why not protect other behaviors and activities in the same way, such as sexual behaviors. I hope the questions are clear enough - its something I have thought about for some time so I thought I would approach my fellow Catholics on it (though all opinions are welcome).

[/quote]

First, religious freedom has several important implications in maintaing a democracy, moral society, and a republic.

In the US, the only thing standing in the way of a totalitarian gov’t is religious freedom. God bestowed our freedoms that are in the constitution. Remove God and you remove all claims to liberty, rights, and freedom.

Second, religous liberty is granted to us by God. Sexual behavior outside of it's natural uses, is not a freedom granted to us by God.

Third, Religious freedom is the freedom to express your religion in Private AND Public Square. Creating schools, hospitals, corporations, food pantry’s; aligned with your deeply held religious beliefs AND without gov’t intrusion. Freedom to worship means you can worship in the Private square without freedom to express your deeply held religious beliefs in Public Square.

This is just my take, I could be wrong. Good question. Kindly - James

[quote="JaKael02, post:2, topic:318570"]
Third, Religious freedom is the freedom to express your religion in Private AND Public Square. Creating schools, hospitals, corporations, food pantry’s; aligned with your deeply held religious beliefs AND without gov’t intrusion. Freedom to worship means you can worship in the Private square without freedom to express your deeply held religious beliefs in Public Square.

This is just my take, I could be wrong. Good question. Kindly - James

[/quote]

Ya'll should pay a visit to some of the ultra left wing blogs out there and read the comments. There's lots of folks calling for a ban on public expression of faith. I don't know whether or not the empire's leaders will go for it though. That seems too extremist for at least another few years.

[/quote]

A man's religion (if it is truly his religion and not just a hobby) is his most fundamental understanding of reality. Freedom of Religion is equivalent to freedom of thought. Freedom of thought is in large part how we express our humanity.

Thus, freedom of religion means freedom to behave as though the world is as you believe it to be and that, I think, is probably the most fundamental freedom after freedom to live.

Why should the government grant religious freedom and give protected class status to those engaging in religious activity?

[/quote]

The very position of the government is already based off an accepted religious premise, whether they know it or not :D

No one ever said human dignity was a fact, that's a religious belief.

The government does not grant religious freedom.

The Constitution states that the government shall not infringe on religion.

Period.

The government cannot uphold one religion over another.

The government should allow full freedom of religious expression. It is there. People of religion cave in to the separation of church and state, not knowing their constitutional rights in freedom of religious expression.

We are still not allowed to have public school buses for our children even though we pay our taxes that covers bus expenses.

[quote="minion, post:5, topic:318570"]
The very position of the government is already based off an accepted religious premise, whether they know it or not :D

No one ever said human dignity was a fact, that's a religious belief.

[/quote]

Good point.:thumbsup:

[quote="Monte_RCMS, post:6, topic:318570"]
The government does not grant religious freedom.

The Constitution states that the government shall not infringe on religion.

Period.

[/quote]

Indeed. It's dangerous to think that we are in a position that necesitates asking permission for this.

Government DIDNT grant me religious freedom, God did. The founders just acknowledge the fact.

[/quote]

[quote="Iron_Donkey, post:4, topic:318570"]
A man's religion (if it is truly his religion and not just a hobby) is his most fundamental understanding of reality. Freedom of Religion is equivalent to freedom of thought. Freedom of thought is in large part how we express our humanity.

Thus, freedom of religion means freedom to behave as though the world is as you believe it to be and that, I think, is probably the most fundamental freedom after freedom to live.

[/quote]

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah, I missed that one.^^^ :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Besides, the Roman Empire for centuries tried to limit religious expression, and failed miserably. There used to be a saying something like "For every Christian that bled into the sands of the arena, ten left the stands."

The government of the United States is based on a liberal-pluralist structure. That is, the idea that by having minimal government involvement in the affairs of a wide variety of social interest groups, a greater amount of individual liberty will be assured. The idea is that the constant struggle between various interest groups will force them all to compromise and live with each other, making sure that none of them gain total dominance. Under this idea, the government is strictly limited in how it can intervene; it is only a "referee", so to speak.

Religious beliefs are a more complicated matter because they have wide-reaching ideas of how a society must be structured. By allowing free expression of these religions, it allows the individual greater liberty by leaving it up to them what they should believe. If the government were to intervene in religious affairs, it would allow those in power to choose which beliefs would get benefits and which wouldn't, thereby giving the government an effective means of censorship.

Under the liberal-pluralist idea, the government can't possess such power of censorship.

This is one consequence of government stripping its citizens of religious freedom:

"Open season on Christians now": Judge rules that Biblical views on homosexuality are "hate speech"
lifesitenews.com/news/open-season-on-christians-now-biblical-views-on-homosexuality-proscribed-in?utm_source=LifeSiteNews.com+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=2c91b4fbdc-LifeSiteNews_com_US_Headlines_03_07_2013&utm_medium

I also see this protection applying to Muslims, but not Christians.

The government should never "grant" religious freedom, because what can be granted can be taken away.

What the government should do is recognize AND protect religious freedom.

[quote="LRThunder, post:16, topic:318570"]
The government should never "grant" religious freedom, because what can be granted can be taken away.

What the government should do is recognize AND protect religious freedom.

[/quote]

You're missing the point of the post. More specifically -why should we grant special protections to religious activity AS OPPOSED to other activity - such as homosexuality? Why does religion deserve such a special place in society that it is protected against discrimination via the first amendment. The focus on the word "grant" completely misses the point of the post and doesn't help answer the question. You are right that religious freedom is our right as given to us by God not granted by the government - but that does not answer why we should - in a plural society - enshrine that right in civil law as opposed to other activity - I don't ask this to destroy religious freedom but to understand why it is necessary in a free society as opposed to other activities - so that I can defend it better - capiche?

This was thought provoking and is something I would use in defense of freedom of religion - thank you.

There is nothing in Catholic belief that states we abuse homosexuals or Muslims.

Without a religious basis, society would lapse into feral behavior with laws based on current mood swings/political correctness … no one would have any idea what is permitted or forbidden … because it would change all the time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.