Why SHOULD You Become (or Be) Catholic?

Great article: Why SHOULD You Become (or Be) Catholic? by Regis Martin.

Professor Martin hits on the very thing that drew me into the Church–truth, and the fact that it’s not about what I want to believe but who I believe in. :slight_smile:

It’s been a journey for me, a person who went to Catholic school for 12 years. I remember when I was encouraging my dh to go to any church, I told him I would go with him to his Presbyterian… I tried to understand it and tried to get him to talk about it… he really didn’t know. So, when dh didn’t choose a church to attend I said to myself – I’m going to MY CHURCH… and I did. And everything since then for me has been discovering the truth about it all. Learning the history, studying the catechism, praying and enjoying the sacraments especially the HOLY EUCHARIST have all been wonderful! I still marvel at how ignorant I was–thinking that one church was just the same as another… I think God has a plan and it includes all those other churches, but he pointed me to the one true church that I was part of all along!

finding the opposite here. But then so few realise how close the Church of England is to RC.

And in these final earthly years, matters less and less. Jesus is all and all and all.

Superficially the C of E appears very similar. However, Jesus prophesied that soon people would worship God in Spirit and in Truth. If Truth is important, than being Catholic should be too. :wink:

We were taught in first grade the answer to the question of why we were made … to know God, to love God, to serve God and to be happy with him forever.

Be for we can love someone we must first know about them. And this is what the Catholic Church dioes best since it has the truth given to us by Jesus himself.

I was the American equivalent of the CofE, and while the form was very much the same (as it is with Lutheran liturgy), the beliefs are very, very different.

Truth trumps feelings every time when it comes to doctrinal matters. They matter to God, especially if we know they are different from other ecclesial bodies but simply ignore them. :wink:

The answer to the question is 2 sided

There is the positive for being Catholic, and also consequences if one is NOT Catholic. Both sides have to be presented, or one isn’t getting the full answer.

BTW thanks for the article. I like Regis Martin :wink:

Of course, the consequences for not being Catholic may be not have an effect on one’s salvation. For that we need to go into culpability and ignorance, etc.

Certainly there are many downsides to not being Catholic. It’s hard to fit both the upsides and downsides in a short article. :slight_smile:

BTW thanks for the article. I like Regis Martin :wink:

You’re welcome. :tiphat: I too always enjoy hearing/reading him.

True. May not effect one’s salvation, is a possibility

True.

The CCC offers some good council on that

1791 This ignorance can often be imputed to personal responsibility. This is the case when a man “takes little trouble to find out what is true and good, or when conscience is by degrees almost blinded through the habit of committing sin.” In such cases, the person is culpable for the evil he commits.

Given the ease of gaining information today, it’s practically at everyone’s fingertips, that paragraph from the catechism, says a lot

True

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.