why should you not turn to "other Gods" if Jesus doesn't help you?

Just a general question in regards to the old, question of infinity that could be parralleled. (Why do good people suffer? or why does God allow this to happen?)
If someone is down and out, and God lets them down time and time again, why souldn’t they turn to drugs, dishonesty ( nice guys finish last ) to make money or deal with their situation.
Or yet abandon Christ or God all together, and try to put there faith in more pagan ideas.
Newage,Buddism, Muslim, Hindu, ect. ect. ?
really why? if God really cared so much, wouldn’t he be quick to help?
sounds like a double negative; like God saying to his dog.

" I'm not going to feed you, and if I catch you getting fed somewhere else, its strait to hell for you" :shrug:

The real question should be, How do you know God isn’t helping you?

Because none of those things will get you to an eternity in Heaven what is what Jesus wants for you. Material things are not that important in the greater scheme of things. Jesus says that He is the Way, the Truth and the Life and no one gets to heaven except through Him. If you believe in God wouldn’t the most important thing in your life be getting to spend eternity in the Heaven with Him. There is only one other option.

Because the worst life with Christ is better than the best life without Him.

Christian response to life’s difficulties

This world is nothing without God. Our lives our nothing without Him. If we should ever be pulled up from our circumstances, it is through Him alone. Remember the words of the psalmist:

He raises the poor out of the dust,
And lifts the needy out of the ash heap,
That He may seat him with princes—
With the princes of His people.
He grants the barren woman a home,
Like a joyful mother of children.

These do not come the scriptures of “new age”, or Islam, or whatever else. This does not exalt their false gods. And they certainly do not come from drugs. The Lord gives you everything you have and sustains you day by day, whether you think you have a good deal or a bad deal, and whether you praise His name or you live for yourself.

Because in doing so you’re professing your non-faith in God’s plan for you, and you’ll not be spending eternity with Him in heaven.

Things aren’t always going to be sunshine and lollipops. Through suffering, our faith is tested and we’re brought closer to Jesus Christ, who suffered so greatly for us. At times, we will feel as though we’ve been abandoned, but through perseverance of faith we will be delivered from desperation. To seek comfort anywhere else than in the Light of Christ, will lead to greater troubles and heartbreak. This modern idea that you can find happiness through picking and choosing values and practices from various faiths is a great lie that is propagated upon us by modernists who push pantheism, which is just a hidden form of secularization. God does care, that is why he puts you through great trials. To fall away from His grace because you feel entitled to be happy is terribly selfish.

if God really cared so much, wouldn’t he be quick to help?

Religion, understood as a guarantee of boons. I remember the baseball player in “Major League” who would worship any idol that improved his batting average.

Because God really does love you and wants you to spend an eternity with Him in Heaven. He suffered and died so that we could get there.

My mother got cancer in her 70’s and ended up needing a wheelchair to get around. My dad, who was older than her and had cancer as well, took care of her, and that was not a pleasant task, let me tell you.

She said that in all her years it never occurred to her to be grateful that her legs worked well and that she enjoyed all what she did. How very sad is that? Even till the day she died, she had someone there for her, walking in faithfulness by her side. I don’t remember her saying Thank you, or being grateful for the people who blessed her. I remember her being self absorbed and sorry for herself. She liked to drink and it was her master.

When we spend a lot of time being self absorbed, it does us no good. To wake up in the morning and be grateful that we can swing our legs around and touch the floor, to hear the alarm go off, to have vision, use our hands, hug our loved ones and say we love them. These are not small things! If we lost our ability for one of them, we would go into a tailspin.

If you knew how much God loves you, you would sob with joy. Every breath you take, God sustains you. Be grateful today, and thank him. You have no idea how much he’s blessing and keeping you. Walk in that blessing today and don’t cause him grief. Stop and appreciate that God, the creator of the universe and outside of time, wants to be a good and loving Father. To you. Grab a hold of that and rejoice in that truth!

The grace I wish us all.

Consider the life of the greatest evangelist and theologian Christianity ever had.

2Corinthians 11:23 Are they servants of Christ? I am a fool to talk this way, but I serve him better than they do. I have worked harder and have been put in jail more times. I have been beaten with whips more and have been in danger of death more often. 24 Five times the Jews gave me thirty-nine lashes with a whip. 25 Three times the Romans beat me with a big stick, and once my enemies stoned me. I have been shipwrecked three times, and I even had to spend a night and a day in the sea. 26 During my many travels, I have been in danger from rivers, robbers, my own people, and foreigners. My life has been in danger in cities, in deserts, at sea, and with people who only pretended to be the Lord’s followers. 27 I have worked and struggled and spent many sleepless nights. I have gone hungry and thirsty and often had nothing to eat. I have been cold from not having enough clothes to keep me warm. 28 Besides everything else, each day I am burdened down, worrying about all the churches. 29 When others are weak, I am weak too. When others are tricked into sin, I get angry. 30 If I have to brag, I will brag about how weak I am. 31 God, the Father of our Lord Jesus, knows I am not lying. And God is to be praised forever!
32 The governor of Damascus at the time of King Aretas had the city gates guarded, so that he could capture me. 33 But I escaped by being let down in a basket through a window in the city wall.
I don’t think anyone of us can relate. But Paul wrote that all these sufferings were worth it to advance the Gospel.
2Corinthians 12:7 Of course, I am now referring to the wonderful things I saw. One of Satan’s angels was sent to make me suffer terribly, so that I would not feel too proud. 8 Three times I begged the Lord to make this suffering go away. 9 But he replied, “My kindness is all you need. My power is strongest when you are weak.” So if Christ keeps giving me his power, I will gladly brag about how weak I am. 10 Yes, I am glad to be weak or insulted or mistreated or to have troubles and sufferings, if it is for Christ. Because when I am weak, I am strong.
As you read through the NT I think an appropriate question to ask is if I am a Christian shouldn’t I expect to suffer for my faith?

There’s plenty of people living awesome lives, over flowing with blessings from God who want absolutely nothing to do with him. I don’t always believe Jesus can give you eternity.
I used to have stout beliefs in Christ being with you. But now my faith is built more so on the ideas of how naive I used to be having been exposed to greater people with extraordinary abilities.
Jesse Ventura; had said. " Christianity is for the weak, who need strength in numbers" I feel that this is coming to light now as I get older and believe my built faith in previous times was the end result of being under par as a person. However if Christ can not keep his promises here to provide for people, on earth what makes anyone think he can forgive sins or provide a safe haven in heaven. As compared to others who are given a golden ticket while they are here.
At the end of the day , we all know no matter what or how many commandments
you follow, nice boys are going to finish last, God isn’t going to give you magic blessings to make things secure for your life. ie spouse, family, job, education, basic things needed to survive. As far as drugs, I’m talking more so about Aderall, or Dynabol, two things I would love to commit my life to, not dope.
Therefore with this being said, I don’t believe in the fullness of Christ promises.

The are several problems with this type of reasoning, which I hope you will help others to understand.

1. God has no obligation to help us. He is God, not we. He is perfect and we are sinners. He is creator and we are creatures.

2. There is an a priori assumption that man always knows what is best for him. Therefore, God should grant us that which we believe we need. But that’s an assumption. The truth is that we cannot see beyond our space and time. Therefore, we cannot see the repercussions of that for which we yearn or that which we believe would solve our problems.

3. You must also help others understand the concept of responsibility. God is not responsible for the situations that man creates. Man is responsible for having created them; therefore, man must assume responsibility for repairing the damage. Take for example the existence of hunger. Hunger exists, because man has created it, not God. Take away every flat screen TV in America, Europe, South America, the Middle East, Australia, and even some economically advanced countries in Africa and calculate how much money can be invested in agriculture to feed the hungry. If we give up other gadgets and gizmos that we don’t need and add that money to the pot, we may be able to build irrigation systems to bring water to places where there is no clean drinking water or to build filtration plants. This would reduce disease.

If the citizens of today’s United States had the same courage as did the American Patriots of the 18th century, they would have taken to the streets and raised their voices in protest when the Mexico City Plan went into effect, a plan that gave away millions of dollars to pay for contraception and abortions in other countries. Was it God who let down those senior citizens and people with disabilities whose Medicare benefits are going to be trimmed or was it man who failed to be responsible?

It’s very easy for man to say that he does not have to clean up this or that mess, because it’s not his responsibility. Yet, somehow, the messes that we create become God’s responsibility to clean up. This refusal to accept responsibility for one’s actions or lack thereof is the Original Sin. Adam passed the putt to Eve and she passed it to the serpent. The serpent was too stupid or he would have found another creature to punt to.

1. I hope that you will help others understand that hurting oneself, does not hurt God. If I turn to drugs, prostitution, or alcohol, because I’m down on my luck, how does this punish God? All it does is aggravate the problems in my life. For the immediate moments, these may ease the pain, but the half-life of such self-medications is very short. The pain returns we need more and more, creating a vicious cycle of dependency and addiction. That was not God’s choice. That was our choice, because we believe that God should have resolved my problem the way I believe it could have been resolved. Again, I’m forgetting that I can’t see beyond my space and time. Therefore, what may look like a solution to me,may mean disaster for the world.

2. If you look at the argument that is being presented to you. It use the term “false idols”. You may want to point out to the person who is asking the question that the answer to his question is within the question itself. If something is false, why bother turning to it? For example, if I need human love and companionship, why should I turn to a Barbie doll? I know that Barbie is real only in the imagination of children and I’m not too sure about that. I might do better getting a dog. Even though it’s not human and cannot love, my dog is better company than Barbie. He’s more interesting. The point is why even bother asking, “Why shouldn’t I turn to false idols?” One has answered one’s own question, because the thing that we are speaking about is false.

We have to think responsibly. God is not responsible for us. We are responsible for ourselves. It is not God’s job to resolve our problems. He is our God, not our Go To Guy. God loves us and knows what is good for all of us. He will never give one of us that which may do harm to many or even to the one. Such an act is contrary to his nature.

Freedom is part of human nature. God does not violate that freedom. He encourages, invites, and at times he even challenges, as he did to Paul and Augustine. But he never imposes. God is rational and reasonable. Therefore, he allows natural consequences. When an innocent is hurt, if you search, you will find that the suffering is a result of sin that can be avoided.

God also created the laws of nature. There are natural processes that act according to those laws. If I catch a virus, I’m going to be sick. If atmospheric conditions are right, there will be a hurricane and so forth. The challenge is for man to learn to live with those laws. Living with those laws does not mean building a grass hut in a hurricane zone. Just the opposite. Living with those laws means using the intellectual and material resources that God gives us to build homes and cities that can resist a hurricane. Living with those laws means pulling together our resources to build after a natural disaster, rather than forget. This was the case with Haiti. The people of Haiti were important while their story sold newspapers and products that sponsored the 6:00 news. When the money stopped rolling in, the people of Haiti fell off the radar. The new moved on to something else. In the meantime, several years later, the people of Haiti are still living in tents. Why? Because man dropped the ball, not God. God gave us the means to respond to the needs of those people. We moved on to something else.

I hope this helps.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, FFV :slight_smile:

I think there is a more simple and more direct answer (sorry if someone acually did say this and I missed it). Because he told us not to do so. Doing one thing he told us - to pray to God for what you need - and then disobeying another, at least as important instruction he gave us - don’t turn to idols/false gods - makes no sense.

[quote="Jessup, post:10, topic:298466"]
There's plenty of people living awesome lives, over flowing with blessings from God who want absolutely nothing to do with him. I don't always believe Jesus can give you eternity.

I used to have stout beliefs in Christ being with you. But now my faith is built more so on the ideas of how naive I used to be having been exposed to greater people with extraordinary abilities.
Jesse Ventura; had said. " Christianity is for the weak, who need strength in numbers" I feel that this is coming to light now as I get older and believe my built faith in previous times was the end result of being under par as a person. However if Christ can not keep his promises here to provide for people, on earth what makes anyone think he can forgive sins or provide a safe haven in heaven. As compared to others who are given a golden ticket while they are here.
At the end of the day , we all know no matter what or how many commandments
you follow, nice boys are going to finish last, God isn't going to give you magic blessings to make things secure for your life. ie spouse, family, job, education, basic things needed to survive. As far as drugs, I'm talking more so about Aderall, or Dynabol, two things I would love to commit my life to, not dope.
Therefore with this being said, I don't believe in the fullness of Christ promises.

[/quote]

First of all,you're going to quote a circus clown like Jesse Ventura? Could you at least quote an educated person, not some conspiracy side show barker? If you admire that guy I can see why you are drawn to amphetamines and steroids (assuming you meant Dianabol). You aren't the only person to have a crisis of faith. Whatever you are going through just remember that earthly diversions are temporary. Faith, discipline and hard work make changes in life, not drugs. All those people who have "great lives" have paid a price along the way. How many are divorced, alcoholic, addicted, obsessed with money, lonely, how many have reached the pinnacle of their pursuits only to say "Is this all there is?" The search for meaning can only end in finding this truth, we have value because God loves us. When you understand that truth everything you do has purpose.

Things that don’t exist, can’t help you.

[quote="Jessup, post:1, topic:298466"]

sounds like a double negative; like God saying to his dog.

" I'm not going to feed you, and if I catch you getting fed somewhere else, its strait to hell for you" :shrug:

[/quote]

thats exactly what it is and thats one of the reasons im no longer catholic, what "loving" god would do that?

i dont mean to sound harsh but you cant even spell Dianabol correctly I doubt you should be taking steroids.

Stop listening to people like Jesse Ventura for one thing, the man is simply not a philosopher by any stretch of the imagination. He was known in Pro Wrestling and thinks he can use that “fame” (if you can call it that) to carry over into politics.

Also Christ’s way is the Cross, which means sacrifice and suffering – its NOT always fun and games. It takes True Strength to take this path and not the path of pleasure and easiness that is of this world, the world which many celebrities live in. If that is the extent of your happiness that is truly sad, those things come and go and wither with age. If youre stubborn like I was, youll see for yourself the hard way. you might gain those things or all of them and you will realize that you are still unhappy.

Ill include you in my prayers.

I have to sympathize with Jessup and Hunter24. I know just how they feel.

My 2 cents.

I “just know.” It can’t be explained.

I already know I won’t be. If my life on this Earth is any indication of God’s “love” for me, then they already have a room set up with name on the door in the Hot Place.

How do I know that to be a fact? Or am I just supposed to blindly accept it.

I do not either, simply because I don’t have any reason to believe it.

When I was child in Catholic school, the good sisters taught us - in words that a child could understand - that it hurts God when he loses a soul. “It would make God cry if he lost your soul.” So if him losing my soul is all I can do to get back at him, so be it. It’s not like I have anything to lose.

[quote="Lost_Sheep, post:18, topic:298466"]
When I was child in Catholic school, the good sisters taught us - in words that a child could understand - that it hurts God when he loses a soul. "It would make God cry if he lost your soul." So if him losing my soul is all I can do to get back at him, so be it. It's not like I have anything to lose.

[/quote]

Spending life in revenge seems like a loss to me. Why would you choose this for your life?

Because I will not let God win.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.