Why sin?

Why is it so hard to avoid sin?

Sometimes I just don’t understand it. It really just has a way of sneaking up on you and ruining everything. It seems so basic, so simple, and yet it doesn’t make sense to me. It’s so difficult.

You and St. Paul (Romans 7)

I think his conclusion makes sense - to summarize, we are corrupted by Original sin, and so tend toward sin despite our better intentions. Thank God for grace!

Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of his death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

True that! I feel the same way often. Sin feels good to our flesh and the problem with us is that we pay more attention to our flesh than to our spirit. Our conscience is telling us not to, but we do it anyway because our flesh holds so much sway over our will. I notice I do better when I fast because I’m denying my flesh.

My dear friend

This theory may offer you some comfort.

An old post shedding light on why we are sinners I think?

My dear friends

I’ve just been thinking as follows and would like your opinions and contribution on this subject too.
In order for God to create a perfect world and beings He had to create beings ( us ) who would rebel. The reason for this is that God is infinite Love and the greatest expression of love is sacrifice. The greatest sacrifice is infinite sacrifice. If we never rebeled God would not have been able to show us His infinite love for us by His infinite sacrifice on the cross.
God loves us with an infinite love and knew we would rebel and this would cause an automatic reaction from God where He would respond with an expression of infinite sacrifice. In order for our world and us to be perfect we had to rebel. The whole thing is really a mystery though. This is just some thoughts on the perfection of God and how that relates to us. I think I’ll tie this in to my refutation of evolution too.

May God bless you always friend:thumbsup::slight_smile:
John

I think we learn how to ‘deny the flesh’ and die to ourselves precisely when it is difficult, but we still choose to do it :slight_smile:

and YES…it’s difficult… I know what you mean :frowning: I stuggle every day!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.