Why single, unmarried, childless adults are important to family life

I completely agree providing that those adults are living according to the moral principles of the faith.

I think there’s another discussion to have about single unmarried Catholics who havent dated and seem too afraid to

Single unmarried Catholics in the family are ok.till they are about 50 -60 years of age,having means to support them and are without much health problems.As time passes,two things happen.Their siblings/friends to whom they are more attached may themselves will not be available for support.The children in the family who are now grown up will have their own problems to attend and won’t be able to care the aging bachelor.
I know many people who remain unmarried for one reason or other finally decide to marry only on seeing the plight of such old bachelors!

That seems like a really terrible reason to get married.

Coming back to the article, while some of the things in the article happen naturally if the single person is a close member of your own family, I’m a bit disturbed that it seems to be treating single people in a family as some kind of glorified babysitter or buddy to the kids. Single people want to have some adult family life and interaction too, and the article seems to ignore that. Also, not everybody who’s single is good at relating to kids or even wants to spend a lot of time with kids.

One aspect of this–some people who study evolutionary biology, or sociology, or anthropology, etc. theorize that homosexual brothers are the stand-ins for this role. Because they are not going to have children of their own, they are available to care for the children if something happens to the father. Some studies show evidence that a man’s probability of being homosexual increases with each older brother he has.

Those single, unmarried, childless people in my family and who I am friends with have added a beautiful dimension to my life and the lives of my family members. They give something that is special and unique to them alone. I pray for them and their journey with God in this life.

My single brother is the godfather of his best friend’s daughter, and the daughter absolutely loves him. He’s always willing and able to take her off the parents’ hands when they need time for themselves. He takes her to all her different activities (dance recital, piano rehearsal, tae kwon do, among other things I’m probably forgetting). And his fridge is covered with all her various drawings that she made for him, much like if he was actually a dad.

Sounds very simplistic, but he’s a very ideal example of a single person being a very good thing for a family.

And I just realized I say very a lot.

Well, obviously, if you’re not married or living with someone you should have plenty of time to help other people shoulder their responsibilities :roll_eyes:

:thinking:

Did the article mention homosexuals? Or are we just assuming that anyone who’s single could be a homosexual?

We’re not assuming that childless people are homosexual, but that homosexual people are childless.

Not always the case any more.

like all the really terrible reasons to stay single or get divorced.

Getting married for companionship or assistance with health care when you get older is actually a pretty good, practical reason to marry compared to pie-in-the-sky romantic notions people have when they’re young. As long as you both are honest with each other about expectations, and are good friends anyway, it sounds like an okay plan to me.

I know my biggest worry as an older single person without any close family nearby is that I’ll get sick or have some disaster and there is no backup in place for me. I have asked some of my single friends around my age how they deal with it if they don’t have close family (in some cases died off, in other cases estranged). One person said the landlord is their emergency contact because it’s the only way to keep from having all their stuff thrown out in the street if they suddenly go to the hospital and aren’t around to pay rent on time. That brought to mind some pretty awful stories I heard about what some landlords have done when their tenant with no other family suddenly ended up in the hospital.

Right now I’m trying to make a little network of a few of these people in my life so we can at least be some kind of “family” for each other no matter how distant.

Living a life of singlehood is a vocation and being single at any point in life is a time where someone can work on patience and chastity and virtue

But it is a state of life to be lived according to the Catholic Faith if one is Catholic. A widower or widow doesn’t make a vow once their spouse has died but it is their state in life, their vocation, of how they will live their Catholic Faith.

There can be vows for consecrated singlehood…

Oh yes within the Church there certainly can be but they are rare and often not even known about by Catholics and non Catholics alike

What one is called to do in one’s state of life.

My aunt had her church (Catholic) as the executor of her estate. They were her contact and saw to it that everyone was notified and paid. I’m sure her church is not the only one to offer such a service. Might be worth looking into.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.