Why so anti-Catholic?!?!

You know, it’s sooooo pathetic how people attack the Catholic faith and Catholics alone yet they basically leave other religions alone (well, I know some who do but not as bad as Catholicism!).

WHY?!?! WHY?!?! WHY?!?!?! Why attack the Church? Is it because people dont like what the Church teaches (whether it’s on abortion, marriage, etc.)? Is it because people have their “own way of life to live” and reject the teachings of the Church due to the teachings not fitting in with their “lifestyle”? What is it?

And for crying out loud, before I started pursuing Catholicism, I myself was even skeptical about Catholicism but now, I KNOW THE TRUTH AND I MUST DEFEND THE CC!!!

:thumbsup:

Nicole,

I hear ya. Personally, I think that the desire to attack the Church is almost, in some perverse way, a sign that the Church is, indeed, what she says she is: the Church that Jesus founded. Deep down, I think that people sense that they ought to belong to her, but for whatever reason (mostly pride, I would guess) they don’t want to. This inner contradiction drives them to vilify her, while mostly ignoring other religions and other Protestant denominations as targets of wrath. There’s a psychological term for this (which I can’t for the life of me think of just now). Anyway, I think that’s why you typically find that Protestants who convert to Catholicism do not attack their former churches with the kind of vehemence that ex-Catholics use against the Church. After all, they’re home. They’re happy to be home, and being secure there, they don’t have any inner contradiction driving them to hatred.

Simple, Satan hates Truth that’s why Catholicism is always picked on. We should be ecstatic in getting all the attention! :whacky:

I think that some of it stems from the fact that virtually all main stream Protestant denominations have completely fallen down when it comes to birth control, divorce, abortion and homosexuality - not to mention ordaining openly gay ministers. In order to detract from that, there is now more mud being slung at the Catholic Church or even anything remotely Catholic and particularly, Mary.

I think that this is fueling at least part of the scandal also - not to diminish the serious problems that did exist, but I don’t think that every allegation from as far as 50 years ago needs to be headline news. The other thing fueling the scandal is the fact that people have been successful at getting money from the Church and once that happens, everyone is going to line up - again not to diminish the problem, but this entitlement mentality is ultimately going to hurt everyone.

[quote=Paris Blues]You know, it’s sooooo pathetic how people attack the Catholic faith and Catholics alone yet they basically leave other religions alone (well, I know some who do but not as bad as Catholicism!).

WHY?!?! WHY?!?! WHY?!?!?! Why attack the Church? Is it because people dont like what the Church teaches (whether it’s on abortion, marriage, etc.)? Is it because people have their “own way of life to live” and reject the teachings of the Church due to the teachings not fitting in with their “lifestyle”? What is it?

And for crying out loud, before I started pursuing Catholicism, I myself was even skeptical about Catholicism but now, I KNOW THE TRUTH AND I MUST DEFEND THE CC!!!

[/quote]

Which is probably just how we appear to many Protestants :slight_smile: - as sad anti-Protestant bashers, who do not even know, or bother to to try understand, the Gospel Truth :smiley:

People always accuse others of the very faults they themselves show - that’s human nature.

It would be wonderful if we could see that we are as bad as each other - that might be a step to full Christian unity. We certainly won’t get far by accusing each other of the faults we ourselves display. IMO, what’s needed is some sort of bilateral disarmament, at least as a first step.

Just rambling - as usual ##

[quote=Paris Blues]You know, it’s sooooo pathetic how people attack the Catholic faith and Catholics alone yet they basically leave other religions alone (well, I know some who do but not as bad as Catholicism!).

[/quote]

That’s how I’ve been feeling lately and I too want to be able to defend the faith!

Because it is there - and because it is a target.

Hello Paris. I hope this thread is not in regaurds to the personal message you sent :slight_smile:

Well I could speculate why people dislike your church, but the answers are so different from person to person. If you mean why catholics specifically over protestants, then the answer is because the catholic church has a much longer history so therefore more faults arising from the human element to bring up. Also, most protestant groups don’t teach that they are the ONLY true way, but catholicism does, because any other church teaches heresy according to you guys…so in a style befitting mature adults…the response is often… “heresy? nah-uh…you do!” More of a defensive response as they have no real response for this.
It is funny that I have been coming here off and on for a year, and in that time my view of catholics and catholicism has completely changed. I used to be more skeptical of catholics than other christians, but I realized there is a lot of good there. Sure some of the people are exactly what I expected, closed minded and very hostile when their beliefs are questioned, but for the mostpart I have met a lot of intelligent and interesting characters here. There is a certain type of personality that I find here that is intoxicating…I want to say intelligence, but that is an incomplete term because it is more than just knowing facts, some of the smartest people I know here aren’t the least bit shy to admit they don’t know something…it’s like wisdom wrapped in innocence, with just a squeeze of compassion…whatever it is I love it.
I know this seems like a long tangent that is going nowhere, but to tie this back in: I would say, speaking strictly from an impartial observer standpoint (i.e. agnostic) that granted God is real and revealed himself through Jesus, that the catholic church is the most likely candidate to be Christ’s true teachings. So speaking only from evidence I have seen and heard, I can only scientifically conclude that catholicism is the true church of christ, if indeed such a man existed :wink: Maybe everyone else came to the same conclusion and THAT is why they are so upset.

[quote=Gottle of Geer]## Which is probably just how we appear to many Protestants :slight_smile: - as sad anti-Protestant bashers, who do not even know, or bother to to try understand, the Gospel Truth :smiley:

People always accuse others of the very faults they themselves show - that’s human nature.

It would be wonderful if we could see that we are as bad as each other - that might be a step to full Christian unity. We certainly won’t get far by accusing each other of the faults we ourselves display. IMO, what’s needed is some sort of bilateral disarmament, at least as a first step.

Just rambling - as usual ##
[/quote]

Hey G of G, :slight_smile:
I think it’s more than that. Catholicism is attacked on every level - not just from protestants who are taking a defensive stance. For example, there was a skit on Mad TV (or was in SNL?) where they were in a game show setting, and the game show “host” read this question: If you’re Catholic you are: a) stupid b) stupid c) stupid, or d) stupid.

Now, remove the word “Catholic” and insert the name of some other group or organization. What do you think would have happened? I can tell you this - all h*** would have broken loose. But, becuase the target was Catholics, it was acceptable and aired with little or no backlash.

[quote=Wormwood]… christ, if indeed such a man existed :wink:
[/quote]

Hey Wormwood :slight_smile:

Not my intention to hijack this thread, and forgive me if this is already- charted- territory for you, but have you read Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis?

I hang out on numerous religious forums and with some regularity almost every group has a thread similar to this concerning their owh faith. Everyone feels singled out for persecution. Maybe our ears are deaf to it when it is happening to someone else, but extra sensitive when aimed at our own kind, so that we notice our own more. Only natural, I suppose.

cheddar

[quote=maesoph]I think that some of it stems from the fact that virtually all main stream Protestant denominations have completely fallen down when it comes to birth control, divorce, abortion and homosexuality - not to mention ordaining openly gay ministers. In order to detract from that, there is now more mud being slung at the Catholic Church or even anything remotely Catholic and particularly, Mary.

[/quote]

I think you are given to a bit of hyperbole. The American Episcopalians and a few other protestant groups believe as you just said. Just like there are a few Catholic parishes who are tolerant on homosexuality, aboriton etc. Be careful in your generalizations because I along with the majority of Protestants find the aforementioned sins (with the exception of non-abortofacient birth control which most of us don’t consider inherently sinful) to be just as wrong as you do.

[quote=Little Mary]Hey G of G, :slight_smile:
I think it’s more than that. Catholicism is attacked on every level - not just from protestants who are taking a defensive stance. For example, there was a skit on Mad TV (or was in SNL?) where they were in a game show setting, and the game show “host” read this question: If you’re Catholic you are: a) stupid b) stupid c) stupid, or d) stupid.

Now, remove the word “Catholic” and insert the name of some other group or organization. What do you think would have happened? I can tell you this - all h*** would have broken loose. But, becuase the target was Catholics, it was acceptable and aired with little or no backlash.
[/quote]

This book title sums it up:

Anti-Catholicism in America: The Last Acceptable Prejudice

amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0824521293/qid=1125423654/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3886619-3640161?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

[quote=Wormwood] I can only scientifically conclude that catholicism is the true church of christ, if indeed such a man existed
[/quote]

A truly agnostic comment. :smiley:

[/quote]

Everyone is gunning for the Pope. That pretty much confirms he is the big dog on the porch.

Muslim extremists also fantasize about Rome.

What an emotional thread!

I used to have an allergic reaction to anti-Catholicism. I’ve come to terms with it. Here are some reasons why:

1. Christ said pick up your cross—well, that’s part of our cross for being Catholics(blessed are you if all hate you for my sake type). Basically, we pick up the cross, we’ll get whipped. We can’t say we haven’t been warned. But Truth always win in the end.

2. Ignorance is an epidemic in our age it seems. So, with ignorance there’s fear. As Yoda said: fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate! Hahaha! So, we have to love them in their ignorance and pray and work to assist their spiritual growth.

3. I look at anti-Catholics as the future apologists of the Church. This one makes me laugh when I actually talk to someone that’s saying things about the church because I see Scott Hahn! Sorry Scott!

4. Everytime an anti catholic makes accusations, it’s usually half truth or twisted truth anyway; so everytime the Church gets a cruel beating, it gets stronger for it’s the suffering of its members sanctify the world.

God love us!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.