Why so few public Catholic bookstores?

Near our small town is a larger city that has a large Christian bookstore. But the books they carry are only Protestant books and maybe a Catholic bible. Why are there no Catholic bookstores like Protestant bookstores? Aren’t there enough Catholics wanting to know more about what they believe and why?

Obviously I do not know where you live, but here in southeast Michigan, I can think of at least 6 different stand-alone, exclusively Catholic book stores. I know there are more. Also, many of the parishes have their own stores, as well.

Perhaps this is uncommon elsewhere, but we are certainly blessed!

We have 2 catholic bookstores in our town.

We have at least five in our area that come to mind…there may be more. So, I guess it just depends on your area. Maybe this could be a business opportunity for you!

I live approx. 20 miles SE of a large city of half a million people. It’s a college town, very liberal. Did an online search and there are 134 Catholic churches and 1 Catholic bookstore! There are “religious” bookstores, but none that cater exclusively to Catholics. I do shop online and Ebay is a good source of holy cards, etc., which I give away to those I am trying to get to come back to church. I volunteer at a hospital gift shop and have suggested that they stock a few rosaries. Maybe I’ll have to start carrying a few rosaries with me along with the holy cards…

Hey I know what you mean…

I’ve seen a big Catholic store like about 10 miles from where I live but they seem to be very rare. BUMMER!!!:(:crying::nope:

WE NEED MORE CATHOLIC STORES!!!

Like you know, one on every block!:smiley:

There are only a couple of stand-alone (non Church affiliated) Catholic bookstores in Miami-Dade County, Florida, where I live. The biggest is Paulines (the Daughters of St. Paul) Book and Media.

On the other hand, some of the Catholic parishes in Greater Miami have their own bookstore/giftshops. The best one I’ve seen so far is at Saint Louis Church in the Pinecrest section of Miami.

Love,
Jaypeeto3

Yes, I can think of two parishes that have their own bookstores around here.

I walked into a local “Christian” Store near my home looking for a rosary. I started looking around couldnt find one, I walked up to the lady at the counter and ask where they kept their rosaries. She looked at me and said, “Sir, this is a Christian store.” :eek:

[quote=Roman_Catholic] She looked at me and said, “Sir, this is a Christian store.” :eek:
[/quote]

What she meant is, ‘this is a Protestant/Bible only/non-Catholic store’. :rolleyes:

Kotton :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=Kotton]What she meant is, ‘this is a Protestant/Bible only/non-Catholic store’. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

They should post a sign on the door, “Bancroft interpretations only:”

[quote=Kotton]What she meant is, ‘this is a Protestant/Bible only/non-Catholic store’. :rolleyes:

[/quote]

What was weird is that I noticed books on practicing witch craft there, even though the sign above the door said, “Christian Supply Center”

Kinda weird, no?

luckily, i live only 3 blocks away from one.
Only problem is that it closes at 5 before i get home from work.
saturday is the only day i can ever get there, and Sunday, obviously, they are closed.

it is good to live in Chicagoland.

When I lived in a rural town we had a stand at the Church stocked by one of the parishioners. He only stocked books by reputable Catholic authors. Some of our parish churches have a ‘piety’ stall after Sunday Masses.

A friend of mine had a shop (The Jesus and Mary Centre) which stocked many books. He recently went to a Rest Home so I have ‘inherited’ his vast Library of Catholic books. WOW!!!

It will give me enough reading material for the next 30 years. I’m considering setting up a website to sell second-hand Catholic books.

It will give me enough reading material for the next 30 years. I’m considering setting up a website to sell second-hand Catholic books.

May I please be your first customer? Email me with a list. :slight_smile:

[quote=Roman_Catholic]What was weird is that I noticed books on practicing witch craft there, even though the sign above the door said, “Christian Supply Center”

Kinda weird, no?
[/quote]

Every bit as weird as their thinking that Catholics are not Christians. :smiley:

I have one stand-alone Catholic bookstore close to where I live, and then there’s my parish’s bookstore (which is very well stocked). I’m sure there are more in other neighborhoods. But then, there are lots of Catholics where I live. I grew up in an area that was predominantly Jewish, and the one Catholic bookstore I knew of was several towns away.

[quote=wacky&wonderful]It will give me enough reading material for the next 30 years. I’m considering setting up a website to sell second-hand Catholic books.

May I please be your first customer? Email me with a list. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

I haven’t catalogued them yet but there are several hundred. And a few more hundred still to collect from his daughter’s house.

wacky&wonderful, if you (& anyone else interested) send me an email, I will let you have a list when I have them sorted. If anyone has a particular book they are looking for, just ask, I may have it.

So many treasures, many out of print books.

[quote=kyleforu]Near our small town is a larger city that has a large Christian bookstore. But the books they carry are only Protestant books and maybe a Catholic bible. Why are there no Catholic bookstores like Protestant bookstores? Aren’t there enough Catholics wanting to know more about what they believe and why?
[/quote]

My theory, living in a big Protestant community, is that since Catholic books are almost never carried in the Protestant bookstores, that the only way to get them out there formally is to open an all Catholic Bookstore or a Christian Bookstore that is owned by Catholics so that there is an avid showing of Catholic text.

I have been encouraged by the amount of books on the Catholic Faith at Barnes and Nobel and Borders. However, they tend to be side by side with books about how all Catholics are going to burn.

Good luck.

Brad

[quote=kyleforu]Near our small town is a larger city that has a large Christian bookstore. But the books they carry are only Protestant books and maybe a Catholic bible. Why are there no Catholic bookstores like Protestant bookstores? Aren’t there enough Catholics wanting to know more about what they believe and why?
[/quote]

My theory, living in a big Protestant community, is that since Catholic books are almost never carried in the Protestant bookstores, that the only way to get them out there formally is to open an all Catholic Bookstore or a Christian Bookstore that is owned by Catholics so that there is an avid showing of Catholic text.

I have been encouraged by the amount of books on the Catholic Faith at Barnes and Nobel and Borders. However, they tend to be side by side with books about how all Catholics are going to burn.

Good luck.

Brad

[quote=Eileen T]I haven’t catalogued them yet but there are several hundred. And a few more hundred still to collect from his daughter’s house.

wacky&wonderful, if you (& anyone else interested) send me an email, I will let you have a list when I have them sorted. If anyone has a particular book they are looking for, just ask, I may have it.

So many treasures, many out of print books.
[/quote]

Lest you short change yourself on out of print books, some of Ratzingers early works in good condition are being offered for $75 and up. You might check Amazon.com for prices on some of your out of print items. I am looking for one by Fulton Sheen on the Holy Spirit. It os not available on Amazon and the copy I have seen was published I seem to recall in the mid 30"s.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.