why st peter ?

hi, im new here this is my first question too.

first
why was st peter chosen and given more than others?
and is the pope related to st peter ?

before you answer me i know that popes get st peters position but did st peter get more power than other believers and if he did why do think he did and what does the popes think it was because of ,i mean what officialy is the answer?

thanks

from michael

We don’t know why Our Lord chose St. Peter out of all the Apostles. He saw something in Peter that He liked. We have to trust those divine instincts.

Yes, St. Peter was given a greater degree of authority than all the other Apostles.

To all of the Apostles Jesus said:

“Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven; and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven.” (Matt. 18:18).

But that was only after saying to Peter:

“And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.” (Matt. 16:18-19)

So Peter’s authority precedes the authority of the other Apostles. Also, it is only to Peter that Jesus gives “the keys to the kingdom of heaven.”

Read Acts – there we see Peter assuming the leadership role, both in temporal and spiritual matters.

Peter’s interpretation of his vision at Joppa, and his subsequent setting aside of the dietary laws and the prohibition against entering a gentile’s home, and eating with gentiles is stunning. This is truly the act of the Vicar of Christ. Who else could have done it?

Why did Christ refer to the Kingdom of heaven as being here on earth if He intended an egalitarian network of small local communities*?

*Of course you might say because Christ is the King.

Yet Christ gave the keys to Peter just as was customary in those days for a King who was going away for a while to hand keys to a Steward, giving that Steward delegation of authority.

Hope this points you in the right direction.

To answer your other question about the pope being related to St. Peter: Nope, the papacy is not a hereditary position. The pope is elected by the cardinals of the Church now days. In the early Church the next pope was simply whoever was the next bishop of Rome.

[quote=Della]To answer your other question about the pope being related to St. Peter: Nope, the papacy is not a hereditary position. The pope is elected by the cardinals of the Church now days. In the early Church the next pope was simply whoever was the next bishop of Rome.
[/quote]

And still is – whoever is Bishop of Rome sits in Peter’s Seat and has his authority.

[quote=vern humphrey]And still is – whoever is Bishop of Rome sits in Peter’s Seat and has his authority.
[/quote]

That kinda goes without saying, doesn’t it? But maybe there are those who need to have it spelled out. It never hurts to fill in all the gaps! :thumbsup:

St Peter was always one of my favorites

The prototypical everyman

Capable of great insight and great failings

Was told he was the Rock and then called Satan
Promised to stand and defend but denied 3 times

It seems appropriate that Jesus, being sent here to save all men, would choose someone who, on the surface at least, was an average Joe

That kinda goes without saying, doesn’t it?

i don’t think so. your statement

In the early Church the next pope was simply whoever was the next bishop of Rome.

can easily be misunderstood to mean that it doesn’t happen that way anymore.

[quote=Steve Andersen]St Peter was always one of my favorites

The prototypical everyman

Capable of great insight and great failings

Was told he was the Rock and then called Satan
Promised to stand and defend but denied 3 times

It seems appropriate that Jesus, being sent here to save all men, would choose someone who, on the surface at least, was an average Joe
[/quote]

Peter is the most “human” of all the Apostles – a man with failings and courage. He was probably a lot like my grandfather.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

[quote=jeffreedy789]i don’t think so. your statement

can easily be misunderstood to mean that it doesn’t happen that way anymore.
[/quote]

Well, it doesn’t happen that way anymore. The cardinals now elect the next pope. There were no cardinals in the early Church, so my statement is perfectly true and not at all misleading.

Don’t know why Peter was picked by God. The same question can be asked of Moses or David, no?

That Peter was picked is evident to Catholic, Orthodox, and even Protestant Bible scholars, however.

Here’s some notable passages…

**PRIMACY OF PETER **
Mt 16:18 -upon this rock (Peter) I will build my church
Mt 16:19- give you keys of the kingdom; power to bind & loose
Lk 22:32 -Peter’s faith will strengthen his brethren
Jn 21:17- given Christ’s flock as chief shepherd
Mk 16:7 -angel sent to announce Resurrection to Peter
Lk 24:34 -risen Jesus first appeared to Peter
Acts 1:13-26- headed meeting which elected Matthias
Acts 2:14- led Apostles in preaching on Pentecost
Acts 2:41 -received first converts
Acts 3:6-7 -performed first miracle after Pentecost
Acts 5:1-11 -inflicted first punishment: Ananias & Saphira
Acts 8:21 -excommunicated first heretic, Simon Magnus
Acts 10:44-46 -received revelation to admit Gentiles into church
Acts 15:7 -led first council in Jerusalem
Acts 15:19 -pronounces first dogmatic decision
Gal 1:18- after conversion, Paul visits chief Apostle
Mt 10:1-4; Mk 3:16- 19; Lk 6:14-16; Acts 1:13- Peter’s name always heads list of Apostles
Lk 9:32; Mk 16:7 - Apostles often called "Peter and his companions"
Mt 18:21; Mk 8:29; Lk 8:45, 12:41; Jn 6:69- Peter spoke for Apostles
Peter’s name occurs 195 times, more than all the rest put together

[quote=Della]Well, it doesn’t happen that way anymore. The cardinals now elect the next pope. There were no cardinals in the early Church, so my statement is perfectly true and not at all misleading.
[/quote]

The Cardinals are not separate levels of the heirarchy – they are simply bishops with special honorifics and rights, one of them being to be electors of the next Bishop of Rome.

The selction of bishops by vote of sitting bishops (called “co-option”) is a very ancient tradition.

[quote=atsheeran]We don’t know why Our Lord chose St. Peter out of all the Apostles. He saw something in Peter that He liked. We have to trust those divine instincts…
[/quote]

You almost have the answer within your scripture quotes if you would have gone back about 3 verses you would see why Peter was chosen. He was the only one who passed the “pop quiz” given by Jesus.

Matthew 16:13-19
13 When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”

14 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

15 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”

16 Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ,the Son of the living God.”

17 Jesus replied, **“Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. **

18 And I tell you that you are Peter,and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

hi
did jesus say he would build his church on peter?

was this because peter was first to believe in jesus?

thanks michael

ps. what does the pope say about that i mean if peter was first to believe in jesus and thats why he became the ony jesus would build his church on him.
how come the pope gets the same authoroty as peter
because many people beived in jesus before the present pope. Didnt they?

[quote=michael777]hi
did jesus say he would build his church on peter?

was this because peter was first to believe in jesus?

thanks michael

ps. what does the pope say about that i mean if peter was first to believe in jesus and thats why he became the ony jesus would build his church on him.
how come the pope gets the same authoroty as peter
because many people beived in jesus before the present pope. Didnt they?
[/quote]

You need to re-think and edit your comment – it is very hard to follow.

The point is not WHY Jesus chose Peter – after all, are we going to second-guess Jesus? Will we also demand God justify His creation of the universe?

The point is that He DID choose Peter. it’s a simple fact, well-attested in the gospels.

Now, note that Jesus said He would build his church – clearly He was referring to an organization, not to a building (“churches” as buildings didn’t exist in those days.) He made Peter the head of that organization – and you see Peter acting as the head in all the cites you have been given.

Now, do you believe Jesus created His church to fail? Of course not! He created it to suceed, for as long as the world lasts. That means, since the Apostles had to die, other men had to replace them in Christ’s organization.

Peter was the head of the Church, and his replacement is also the head.

"Peter was the head of the Church, and his replacement is also the head."
thats not right
Jesus never said that
he said he would build his church ON PETER

To be hoenst i think peter was very doubtful and jesus said all that to ecourage his new faith and congratulated him on finally accepting jesus as the messaih
because of course peter wasnt the first to belive in jesus as the messiah at all.

so even though jesus changed peters name for him to make him feel confident and encourage his faith (as jesus does lots of times to lots of different people in the gospels )

changed it to cephas from simon . simon peter himself couldnt have been the first rock because there was others before him
so there were rocks under the rock.

[quote=michael777]"Peter was the head of the Church, and his replacement is also the head."
thats not right
Jesus never said that
he said he would build his church ON PETER

To be hoenst i think peter was very doubtful and jesus said all that to ecourage his new faith and congratulated him on finally accepting jesus as the messaih
because of course peter wasnt the first to belive in jesus as the messiah at all.

so even though jesus changed peters name for him to make him feel confident and encourage his faith (as jesus does lots of times to lots of different people in the gospels )

changed it to cephas from simon . simon peter himself couldnt have been the first rock because there was others before him
so there were rocks under the rock.
[/quote]

You really need to take a course on writing – your disjointed and disorganized approach makes your posts hard to follow.

Jesus created a Church – an organization.

Organizations need heads. He chose Peter.

When Peter died, the organization still existed, and so it needed a replacement for Peter (in this case Linus.)

We have many examples of the Popes acting in their proper role in the very early Church – for example, the First Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians. They had driven out their priests and bishops, and the Bishop of Rome told them to take them back – and they obeyed him.

The Catholic Church has been in existance nearly 2,000 years now, and to question its organization at this late date seems a little silly, don’t you think?

“Organizations need heads. He chose Peter”

No i disagree with your understanding of spiritual leadership there.

" God chose us in christ who is the head of the church which is his body"

Christ is the head of the church and God is the head of christ.

The church only has one spiritual head and one spiritual teacher.It is true to say that the church has various leaders of individual congregations but christ is the head over all as both leader and teacher. not to mention priest…

Peter to my knowlegde was not a leader of any of the early congregations.

And he wasnt the first to believe in christ as the messiah either.
Infact his brother Andrew believed Jesus to be the meesaih before Peter (simon peter) had even met Jesus!! .

I think this is why Jesus made sure that Peter was told it was by the Holy spirit that he had believed and confessed Jesus to be Messaih and not by any man .
because Peter had already been told Jesus was the Messiah by his brother Andrew,yet had to come to faith himself.

So Jesus stressed for his sake that to believe you have to have the Holy spirit in your heart, and Jesus was reassuring Peter of the validity of his faith, that it was God given and not just the words of man, yet andrew would have been speaking via the spirit of the father, peter wouldnt have understood that fact at the time…

Also he was telling Peter the significance of his faith by mentioning the his church and how Peter had become a part of it.
And as Jesus foreknew how the devil wanted Peter to fail in his faith.
Jesus added for peters own confidence and the devils ears.
The gates of hell shall not prevail against you either because you are part of my church.

Michael.

you wrote

"Jesus created a Church – an organization"
I think you misunderstand what was happening.

The church wasnt just another “organization” like some club or corparation.

He was delivering human souls from the Kingdom of darkenss and bringing them into the kingdom of heaven!

Unless you understand the spirtual significance of this you will go in a vary confused direction leading to more confusion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.