Why suicide is a sin?

:shrug:

I hope you, and others, find the following article helpful.

catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/the-sin-of-suicide.html

Ed

We didn’t choose life, it was imposed on us, why it would be considered a sin to quit something you didn’t choose, that sounds like a dictatorship system, to be given something where the choice of rejecting that “gift” or more likely a hell for many is considered a sin.

?

Huh

No it was not imposed on us.

There was no “us” to have anything imposed upon!

Yes it was, we didn’t choose to be born, at least we should have the choice to leave at the time we want without being considered a sin, don’t you think? because it’s illogical to be given something where it would be a sin to reject it. Imagine someone doing that to you, regarding a small gift, so how about life, which is not but a hell for many.

Again

One cannot impose something on someone who does not exist.

Period.

Can not happen.

That’s the point you make it exist, you impose it whole being into existence and not just one thing.

Again…cannot *impose *anything on what does not exist.

How do you know it’s a sin? There are 3 things for mortal sin. One is “full knowledge and consent”. One must be in one’s right mind. If they aren’t they can’t be held accountable can they?

In addition to being contrary to God- it (to quote the CCC) “contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life” …“is contrary to the just love of self” and “it likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations”…

The destruction of life is sinful.
Pretty basic.

Mentally ill persons are not culpable.

Here is the teaching from the Catechism.

Suicide

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

Yes, thank you

Because if death is the only way to get into heaven/paradise why would one want to live anymore. The idea was probably brought up in the early days of the church to make sure the converts and flock don’t kill themselves. Bible doesn’t have a say on it.

Hummm…

Nope.

You can choose to leave at any time you want. If you don’t believe in God and don’t believe in sin then there is no need for this conversation.

A follower of Our Lord Jesus Christ wants to live and exercise his/her free will to make right choices, allow the Lord to sanctify him/her via prayer and the sacraments, thereby building up the Body of Christ on earth for the glory of God and the saving of souls.

ANV,
Are you thinking about killing yourself? Are you having suicidal thoughts or feelings? If you are, I would urge you to tell someone you trust (family, spouse, parent, teacher, therapist) and seek help. Or call your local 800 number for suicide prevention. Please do this. If you can’t find a hotline number, please call 911 and ask for medical assistance. If your question was just a “random question”, that’s fine. But I don’t want to miss the obvious or ignore what might be happening behind the question that is being asked. I would also suggest that you read Psalm 139 – your were known and loved by God from the very beginning he knit you together in your mother’s womb. You are cherished and your life has infinite value, even if perhaps you are depressed and do not realize that at this moment. Please get the help you need. Please. I will pray for you. 3 Dog Night

Wow; that’s brilliant! I don’t suppose you have some sort of source for this, huh?

I have had a suicide in my familiy, so I understand this is a sensitive subject. We should never despair when someone takes their own life, however. It is not possible to know the state of someone’s mental condition at times. Suicide is a mortal sin, however, for someone to be culpable, they’d have to have control over their mental facilities, which they might not have. Suicide is a sin for the same reason it would be sin to murder someone; you are unjustly taking a life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.