"Why the Bishop of Rome wanted to be called Francis."

From Vatican.va. Any errors are my fault as a most mediocre translator. Just a quote, of course.

Some did not know why the Bishop of Rome wanted to be called Francis. Some thought of Francis Xavier, of Francis of Sales, but also of Francis of Assisi. I’ll tell you the story.

In the election, I had next to me the archbishop emeritus of Sao Paulo who is also prefect emeritus of the Congregation for the Clergy, cardinal Claudio Hummes: a great friend, a great friend! When things became a bit dangerous, he would comfort me. And when the votes went up to two thirds, the usual applause came, because the Pope had been elected. And he hugged me, kissed me and told me: “Don’t forget the poor!”. And that word entered here: the poor, the poor. Then, immediately, related to the poor, I thought of Francis of Assisi. Then I thought of the wars, while the scrutiny kept going through all the votes. And Francis is the man of peace. And thus came the name, in my heart: Francis of Assisi. He is for me the man of poverty, the man of peace, the man that loves and guards creation; in this moment we, too, have with creation a not so good relationship, right? He is the man that gives us this spirit of peace, the poor man…Oh, I so would like to have a poor Church and for the poor!

I like that.:thumbsup:

Thanks for getting the word out!:thumbsup:

Awesome! Thanks for sharing.

How positively lovely. he is my favorite Pope now.:slight_smile:

I thought that was cool too. The patron saint of the city where I live.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.