Why the catholic church is most the target

I have a theory about why the catholic church is targeted more than any other group much of the time. Its because the worldly people take the RCC more seriously than other religious groups. This is not an attack or denigration of those groups. Its just that the RCC has been around the longest, and is the most well known and among the most outspoken, and its also the one which has changed the least overall, and is probably the least likely to compromise or negotiate beliefs to fit the world.

Targeted in what way traillius?

God bless

It’s the last accepted prejudice in the world today, satan goes for the big one, cause he knows it’s the one Jesus founded.

Jesus said " The gates of hell shall not prevail against it " so I expect satan has taken up that challenge ever since.

I guess Jesus knew he would when He said those words, He certainly didn’t utter them for nothing.

Its not too obvious yet, mostly now its just speeches about how we need to change, or how we suck because of scandals, differing opinions. Most protestant/fundamentalists don’t get it as bad as we do. The blatant targeting is coming in the near future, as catholic churches and hospitals are forced to close over abortion, gay marriage, etc…

Who is to blame for the current and up-coming attacks?

Take your pick
SOME non-catholic christians,
many non-christians
atheists
Liberal Media
The left wing politicians

It’s 50% a self-inflicted wound! If we could live the life Jesus asks us to live, then no one could point fingers at our failings and hypocrisy.

The other 50% is from the devil, he hates anything good and will lie to gullible people in order to convince them that hate is good!!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

Mark

Define “targeted”; and what is your source for saying the Catholic church is “targeted more”? Seems to me there are a few Catholics on this board that target Protestants pretty often. Some specific names come to mind, but I’ll keep that to myself.

And it’s not like some attacks are totally unjustified; criticism for excommunicating a woman for not pronouncing a death sentence on her 9-year-old raped daughter who refused to force her to carry twins to term, is not exactly any surprise. Did the church excommunicate the guy that raped the little girl? Really, I’m asking seriously. Does it excommunicate paedophile priests? No, it just moves them to some other unsuspecting Parish. And you’re surprised at criticism?

You’ve also got to take into account that as evangelization efforts increase, resistance will also increase.

Not to mention, your whole argument is a fallacious one. Just becuase you’re being opposed doesn’t mean you’re right. Mormons get a lot of opposition from practically every other denomination, including Catholics. Does that mean they “devil is attacking mormonism?” Don’t think so.

He did. Read his post #4.

Not to mention, your whole argument is a fallacious one. Just becuase you’re being opposed doesn’t mean you’re right.

Perhaps this is fallacious because this is not what traillius is saying? Read his post again. He never, ever, says that this is happening because he believes we are right. In fact he offers some reasons to his opinion that the Church is being targeted.

[LIST]
*]worldly people take the RCC more seriously than other religious groups.
*]the RCC has been around the longest
*]is the most well known
*]the most outspoken
*]has changed the least overall
*]and is probably the least likely to compromise or negotiate beliefs to fit the world.
[/LIST]

Note that not a single one of them is that he believes we are right.

God bless

I’d put this in reverse order (I know you didn’t intend it to be an order).

The single issue: abortion

While “evangelicals” are regularly attacked by the secularist left, the Catholic Church just happens to be the biggest.

Lousy baseball analogy: In the Christian batting order, the CC is the clean-up hitter, and therefore faces the most knock-down pitches.

Jon

Since self proclaimed evangelics as opposed to Catholics tend to vote against abortion and same sex marriage, and/or the candidates that support those issues in the United States, they tend to get wacked more by left. The Catholic Church just has an agreed upon leadership to absorb all attacks. So the hit against the Catholic Church is not dispersed and watered down as it must be when attacking conservative evangelics.

Yes, well, Pope Benedict XVI is certainly a large target, and I think that was the point I was trying to make. Politically conservative Christians do get whacked, there’s no doubt.
What makes it even more difficult for the Catholic Church is dissension from high profile Catholics like Pelosi, Biden, Kerry, and Kennedy.

Jon

I will go a step further then you and say the Catholic Church and Pope John Paul II was not public enemy number one, Jerry Falwell was. But he is gone, Rod Parsley was given credit for President Bush taking Ohio and the 2004 election but was nuetralized by his heavy black congregation in 2008.

The last remnants of the Christian Coalition was stripped away with the attacks on John Hagee since McCain was never really trusted anyway. But Hagee, Parsley and even Falwell represented one church and perhaps an associated school each so we don’t see a coordinated attack. Well to be truthful the attack was not coordinated.

Recently after black people and LDS money temporarily stopped gay marriage what attacks I have seen have been against Mormons.

I think it’s because the Catholic Church refuses to “get with the times and go with the flow.” We stand on principles that will not change just to be more popular. When the Church lays out ideas of right and wrong, those who are wrong immediately get defense an then go on the attack. Unfortunately, more people are finding themselves on the wrong side of the Church’s teachings and instead of understanding them, they attack them. It’s the rule of the school yard – it is much safer to be in the majority and pick on the ones who don’t conform.

I actually recently wrote articles about this topic of the Church not conforming to the norms of society and another about listening to the Church’s teachings. Sorry for the plugs, but they seems particularly relevant to the conversation:
rosarymeds.com/catholic/jesus-does-not-need-straw-polls
rosarymeds.com/catholic/living-catholic

It’s the most targeted because since the 18th century it has been Freemasonry’s greatest enemy, with reciprocal hatred, and also religious competitors basing their gospel on ambition and not on God.

Hi all,

I can’t post on this thread without first mentioning that this morning, as I was going to church, I turned on the radio and discovered that the station (one of the stations that I listen most often, in fact) was playing Billy Joel’s Catholic-bashing song, “Only the Good Die Young”. Needless to say, I was quite annoyed. (I’m always a little annoyed when that song is played, but even more so in this case because they were playing it on Easter Sunday. :rolleyes:)

Now that I’ve gotten that off my chest, there’s a couple posts I’d like to respond to …

Hi 4Squarebaby. I think you’re making things sound a bit more complicated than they really are.

Conservative Catholics and conservative Protestants tend to vote against abortion, sex-same marriage, etc.

Liberal Catholics and liberal Protestants tend to vote for abortion, sex-same marriage, etc.

Evangelicals are conservative Protestants, hence they tend to vote against abortion, sex-same marriage, etc.

Yes, of course. Just like there are some criticisms against the Orthodox that are justified, and there are some criticisms against Lutherans and Anglicans that are justified. I would never try to say that there aren’t any criticisms against Catholics that are justified.

I thought this was a pretty good article on the matter: ncronline.org/news/vatican/church-credibility-harmed-hasty-excommunication

“Truth” Jesus said “if they persecuted me, the world will persecute you”:slight_smile: Most of the attacks come from the Catholic Church’s stance on Morality from the World, and the authority (attacks) of Jesus Christ given the Keys to the Kingdom of God to Peter with authority along with the disciples to open heaven up for humanity in the form of binding and loosing on earth and Jesus binding and loosing from heaven, these attacks come from religous circles.

So long as the Lamb of God is still standing as though slain in heaven offering up our eternal sacrifice to God for humanity, his body on earth the Catholic church will continue to be persecuted. Every Catholic Saint and Martyr always rejoiced in their persecution and sufferings so that Jesus Christ may always be glorified. Here is St. Paul from

Col.1:24
13 **Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking 14 in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church,
of which I am a minister in accordance with God’s stewardship given to me to bring to completion for you the word of God, **
the mystery hidden from ages and from generations past. But now it has been manifested to his holy ones,
to whom God chose to make known the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; it is Christ in you, the hope for glory.
It is he whom we proclaim, admonishing everyone and teaching everyone with all wisdom, that we may present everyone perfect in Christ.
For this I labor and struggle, in accord with the exercise of his power working within me.

And, as usual, it completely ignores the question. Was the guy who raped the girl excommunicated or disciplined in any way? The article also reveals an inconsistency with Catholic teaching: the end justifies the means MANY times in Catholic teaching, just not in this particular instance. Just War would be an example. The right to Self-Defense would be another. The Early Church Fathers contradict current Catholic teaching in both these examples. CLEARLY, in many instances, the end can justify the means, and sometimes we have to wake up from the Catholic fairy tale where everything is always black and white and unfortunately we have to choose between two evils. Regardless of what some ignorant guys a couple continents away say, a 66lb 9 year old carrying twins is a death sentence.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.