Why the covering of statues during Lent?

This Sunday I saw something in church that I’ve never seen before. As I walked in I noticed all the statues were covered with notes saying no candles during holy week. I then notice that every statue in the church was covered in the ones without candles. There was also a large cloth draped in front of the crucifix behind the alter. And then to top it all off when they processed in with the crucifix it was covered with what seemed like a fancy pillowcase tied at the bottom. I had never seen anything of this sort before. It seems like they went to alot of trouble to do all this, is this something that is supposed to be done? Could you explain the reason why?

Hi,

The reason for covering the statures in church during Lent is to remind us that Lent is a time to focus on the Lord’s passion. My grandmother told me that at home in the Azores where she was from, they used to turn the statues to face the wall. The reason was the same. These days some traditional parishes cover the statues. But it is not required as it was in the past.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.