Why the Crucifix?

That seems rather silly. Placing limits on the Holy Spirit?

People will say anything to discredit the Catholic Church.

Even Luther, the founder of the reformation, did not hold these views. So who invented such things ?

It was from some book by a 19th century Muslim author I read years ago dedicated to refuting Christianity; I assume he got the arguments from his Anti Catholic Protestant contemporaries, since he always quoted his contemporary Biblical scholars and Catholics in order to refute Protestants.

But even when I was a Muslim, I eventually thought some of the arguments he brought against Catholics were unnecessary and uncalled for.

We do not crucify Christ again and again at each mass. Christ died once for the forgiveness of sins. The holy sacrifice of the mass is a mystical participation in that one sacrifice, that was taken place for all mankind throughout all time.

This “mystical participation” is rooted in Jewish theology. For example, when a Jew celebrated Passover, it was not a simple rememberance. It was a kind of re-creation…a participation…in the original Passover. Passover happened once, yet it is mystically present again on the holy day, right in their midst. Same with the mass. The crucifixion is an echo or fulfillment of the Passover. It happened once, but we have a chance to be participators in the most holy and timeless sacrifice.

Christ commanded us to eat his flesh and drink his blood, lest we have no life in us. This was a hard teaching from the very beginning! Many left Jesus after he said this. The Eucharist is a mystery (something detractors won’t want to hear.) If he can multiply loaves and fishes to feed thousands, how much more command does he have over his own glorified body and blood!!

:thumbsup:

I see, interesting.

My question was somewhat rhetorical.

These ideas evolved in the 18th or 19th centuries.

Essentially, they are protests of the protest.

Another good question to ask…“why Jesus Christ”…why does the mention of his name evoke such outright hatred and ridicule by people of different faiths…by atheists…and even by some who call themselves Christians…those who mock the Eucharist as the real presence…the Crucifix as a symbol of salvation by Christ dying for our sins…the Catholic Church…why?..could it be that the Catholic Church is what it has always proclaimed to be…the church founded by Jesus Christ and guided by the Holy Spirit…then ask yourself…what could cause people to react so forcefully against all of the above…the answer…Satan…who better knows the truth and will do anything to mock…and to turn the hearts of people from that truth…God bless

This is one of the best responses I’ve ever seen to that animosity.

If I were not a Catholic, and were looking for the true Church in the world today, I would look for the one Church which did not get along well with the world; in other words, I would look for the Church which the world hates. My reason for doing this would be, that if Christ is in any one of the churches of the world today, He must still be hated as He was when He was on earth in the flesh. If you would find Christ today, then find the Church that does not get along with the world. Look for the Church that is hated by the world, as Christ was hated by the world. Look for the Church which is accused of being behind the times, as Our Lord was accused of being ignorant and never having learned. Look for the Church which men sneer at as socially inferior, as they sneered at Our Lord because He came from Nazareth. Look for the Church which is accused of having a devil, as Our Lord was accused of being possessed by Beelzebub, the Prince of Devils. Look for the Church which, in seasons of bigotry, men say must be destroyed in the name of God as men crucified Christ and thought they had done a service to God.

There’s more. By all means read it all. It’s by (then) Monsignor Fulton J. Sheen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.