Why the male priesthood?

Hi Father! I just wanted to ask this question: I know that Jesus chse on ly male apostles and that’s why the Church only chooses males. BUT, isn’t it possible that Jesus was culturaly influenced to only choose males and tha today he would be o.k with females? Also, slighlty unrelated, how can Jesus be God if on the cross he doubted his father? Thanks!

Hi,

Jesus did not enter the human race when He did by accident. He could have done it later. But He is not limited by human culture. He treated woman with a respect that defied the culture of the time. If He had wanted to ordain women, He could have and would have. None of the angels nor even His blessed mother have the power to forgive sins or consecrate bread and wine. He is deliberate in the gifts He gives and is free to give them to whom He chooses, when He chooses.

Jesus never doubted His Father. His exclamation on the cross: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” is the first verse of Psalm 22. It goes on to say: “I can count every one of my bones, and there they glare at me, gloating; they divide my garments among them and cast lots for my clothes”. It ends, praising the Father.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.