Why the pressure for adoption?

Where is the Bible does it state that a woman should give up her baby to adoption beause another woman doesn’t have one? Or where in the Bible does it support the social adoption option of woman being asked at thier most vunerable moments to give their children away because they are socially inferior? Any biblical quotes to support the adoption industry? Then I would like the Catholic people to realize that the Blessed Mother was in a very vicarious perdicament. What would have happened to any other woman? Stoned? and then what if Jesus was put up for adoption? Don’t you think what God put together let no man put asunder? And that Moses mother nursed him, got paid for it , then went back to his people. Just curious what you had to say. Soldier Woman

Dear AW,

The tenor of your questions suggests that the Church encourages pregnant single women to give their children for adoption to support the adoption industry or because it considers them to be socially inferior. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Church’s concern here is for the benefit of the child. In our society, the welfare of the child is most often not considered. Most single mothers cannot provide the stable, balanced home environment that a mother and a father can provide for the child. Children deserve a mother and a father.

Our Blessed Mother remains a comfort for single mothers. She simply trusted God and submitted herself entirely to His will. In this she is a model for us all. God, however, did provide a foster father for her Child.

I’m not sure I understand the last part of your question.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.